Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top of the range Distortion pedals?

Options
  • 18-07-2006 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what Distortion pedal Page Hamilton uses in the band “Helmet”? I really like that Full sounding Distortion (I read somewhere is might be a “Fuzz box” but I can't be sure).

Failing that, could anyone recommend a sh*t hot distortion pedal? I have a pod 2.0 but I find the sounds some what synthetic. I don't mind having just one really good Distortion sound - so I'm not looking for an FX unit per se.

Thanks a mill',

Baggio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Here's his rig from 1994, looks like it's all amp distortion (which is better than any pedal in my opinion):
    helmet_page_1994.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Wow! that's cool...How on Earth did you find that?

Any ideas on how to make some decnet "home" distortion? I wont be playing live - it's just for my 8 track.

Thanks mate,

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

All them diagrams are on guitargeek

Sweet!:D

I was also reading that Hamiton was using MXR pedals at one point, are they any good does anyone know?

Cheers,

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Fulltone Fulldrive pedals are supposed to be absolutely ace.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, I'll take a looksie!

fish-head wrote:
    Fulltone Fulldrive pedals are supposed to be absolutely ace.

Here's a few reviews - looks to be very cool indeed.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Fulltone/Distortion%20Pro/10/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What amp do you currently have Baggio? I'm with John about the amp distortion by the way.

Err... it's only a small Marshall MG15. I actually sing in a band (well, growl in key), I'm not really a guitarist per se. I just want to write and play some Hardcore type toonz on my 8 Track. But I'm kinda' picky about my Distortion sound. I'm really sick of the POD, the sound is just too manufactured or summit.

Cheers,

Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

U can get some decent tone if u tweak it enough, theres loadsa already on the Customtone.com

my fav overdriven tone is a richie sambora setting i tweaked, its bloody gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Well if you're playing your POD through an MG15, theres your problem right there. Theres not much wrong with using PODS for quick Demos, they sound a fair bit better than a straight solid state marshall anything.

Baggio... wrote:
    Err... it's only a small Marshall MG15..

:eek:

I'd honestly see about getting a better amp. At this stage, any decent pedal would be like painting over dirt.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Cheers for all you input guys,

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I'm with John about the amp distortion by the way

From the little experience I have with the better 2-channel amps, I'd agree. But what do you guys reckon about amps without distortion channells? I use a Vox AC30TBX with a Boss Blues Driver. I also use a Boss Overdrive for a more "lead" sounding distortion, but that's purely cos it was lying around...

Anyone any opinions on these? Be as honest as you like! :D

Edit: Hope this doesn't look like a thread hijack, but I reckon it's relative enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭billycox

Just buy a zendrive.

Fulltone and mxr are both great. Just look for through bypass.

billycox wrote:
    Just buy a zendrive

Whats a Zendrive?

Cheers,

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

deathfunk wrote:
    From the little experience I have with the better 2-channel amps, I'd agree. But what do you guys reckon about amps without distortion channells? I use a Vox AC30TBX with a Boss Blues Driver. I also use a Boss Overdrive for a more "lead" sounding distortion, but that's purely cos it was lying around...

Edit: Hope this doesn't look like a thread hijack, but I reckon it's relative enough!

There's nothing wrong with that. A one channel valve amp is still adding a lot of colour to the distortion pedal. I'm not a fan of a lot of solid state amps with a distortion pedal pushing them (on guitar anyway, don't mind on bass). Although I have to say since getting a two channel amp I never use my distortion pedal. I did keep it in the chain in case I wanted a different flavour of distortion but I decided I didn't like that particular taste.

deathfunk wrote:

Well I suppose it depends if you've got a good amp to start with, a pedal can be used to good effect to get more tones out of it. It all really depends on what you like or what you're used to, as I can a wide variety of tones out of my Fireball. I've got the clean and distortion channels, so for leads I just use the neck pickup on the distortion channel, and if I roll back some volume on the guitar and switch to single coils, I get a very nice blues tone, then I've got a solo boost if needed. Of course, other people will have a different approach, and if you find it handier having pedals to get more tones, rather than rolling of some volume, for example, then by all means do it.

Tone is very subjective and personal aswell, so while I might turn my nose at pedal distortion over amp distortion, there's people out there who'll love a good pedal. Likewise, there's a lot of players who'll use an overdrive as a boost, or as an aid to tighten up the natural amp distortion, a common one is a Ibanez Tubescreamer into a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Anyway, everyone has their own way of finding their tones, so aslong as you've got a decent amp to work with, just stick with what works best and sound best for you, and you'll be smiling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

billycox wrote:
    Just look for through bypass.

You mean true bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm going to consider getting a Tubescreamer as a boost for my JCM800 in a while, once I get some **** together and see whether I need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

deathfunk wrote:

The AC30 will distort beautifully if you crank it up enough. I'd suggest using a clean boost pedal, and rely purely on overdriving the valve input stage of the amp. It will sound more AC30 than stomping on a box full of clipping diodes anyway. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm going to consider getting a Tubescreamer as a boost for my JCM800 in a while, once I get some **** together and see whether I need it.

Take a look at some boutique OD pedals. There's a lot of Tubescreamer alternatives on the market. MI Audio make some great TS style OD pedals. All are true bypass. They're cheap too.

Ravelleman wrote:
    Take a look at some boutique OD pedals. There's a lot of Tubescreamer alternatives on the market. MI Audio make some great TS style OD pedals. All are true bypass. They're cheap too.

I've heard the Maxon OD808 is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Well I suppose it depends if you've got a good amp to start with, a pedal can be used to good effect to get more tones out of it. It all really depends on what you like or what you're used to, as I can a wide variety of tones out of my Fireball. I've got the clean and distortion channels, so for leads I just use the neck pickup on the distortion channel, and if I roll back some volume on the guitar and switch to single coils, I get a very nice blues tone, then I've got a solo boost if needed. Of course, other people will have a different approach, and if you find it handier having pedals to get more tones, rather than rolling of some volume, for example, then by all means do it.

Tone is very subjective and personal aswell, so while I might turn my nose at pedal distortion over amp distortion, there's people out there who'll love a good pedal. Likewise, there's a lot of players who'll use an overdrive as a boost, or as an aid to tighten up the natural amp distortion, a common one is a Ibanez Tubescreamer into a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Anyway, everyone has their own way of finding their tones, so aslong as you've got a decent amp to work with, just stick with what works best and sound best for you, and you'll be smiling.

True that :cool:

-=al=- wrote:
    True that :cool:

Thanks. ;)

I think my motto when it comes to amps and such is "Trust your ears."

Advertisement