Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for going home to Ireland from Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Dats_rite wrote: »
    At times I don't think she realises things like this, I know its frustrating etc but I find it hard to read about all the negativity in her opinion pieces....I'm yet to hear anything good about her move back.

That could well be an accurate reflection of her experiences there, maybe her personal experiences (family, friends, favorite places etc.) are a little personal to put in her column, and instead she has focused on the day to day bureaucratic hoops that must be jumped through in order to successfully move home and family from one side of the world to the other.

The reason it's easier in Australia is because it has to be. Aus accepts and processes more migrants every year (190,000 - https://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/visa-grants/index.htm) than leave Ireland every two years http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2013/#.VD9mjhYxhLM.

For Australian systems to function, they have to be better, or at the very least 4 times faster to keep up. Sort of like comparing a wheelbarrow to dumptruck in terms of volume, ease of use etc.

As for private industry, I wouldn't be making any excuses for the banks in IRL, for the most part they were just as clueless, unhelpful and obtuse in 2004 when they were giving out cash left right and center as they are today, and I wouldn't expect them to change.

Either way, there are times I'd love to be getting outside a few pints in Mulligans instead of getting my sunburned backside bitten by mozzies, and there are times I'd love to hear "It'll be grand" instead of "No worries" but on the balance, I wake up in the mornings happier, and enjoy life more here in Australia then I ever managed to in Ireland, so It's easy for me to take off the rose tinted glasses and keep it all in context.

I hope it works out for those who go home. It's a braver move than leaving, and not one I can see myself committing to.

Advertisement