Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forbrydelsen

• 11-08-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Got a loan of the boxset from a friend who says it's well worth the watch. She loved it. I have 12 of the episodes from 1st series done, it's amazing.
    Thought the subtitles would ruin it, but after a few mins you just adjust. After 1st episode you don't even realise you are reading subtitles.

Are there any other foreign language shows out there like this that ye have seen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭brian_t

Stevecw wrote: »
    Are there any other hidden gems out there like this that ye have seen?
    The problem with this question is that I wouldn't have described Forbrydelsen as a hidden gem. I'd have thought it was more of a well known show at this stage.

Have you seen The Bridge (Bron)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just finished Ørnen last week and it was only deadly. Watching Borgen now and it's not half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stevecw wrote: »
    Got a loan of the boxset from a friend who says it's well worth the watch. She loved it. I have 12 of the episodes from 1st series done, it's amazing.
    Thought the subtitles would ruin it, but after a few mins you just adjust. After 1st episode you don't even realise you are reading subtitles.

Are there any other hidden gems out there like this that ye have seen?

Hardly a hidden gem.

The Bridge and The Returned are my recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Borgen is IMO really good. It was made by the DR television station, who also made Forbrydelsen, so you'll see some of the same actors as Forbrydelsen.

According to Wikipedia, ''It tells the story of charismatic politician Birgitte Nyborg who unexpectedly becomes the first female Prime Minister of Denmark''

You should also seek out the other 2 series of Forbrydelsen.

I have also watched series 1 of Unit One, which is an early TV appearance of Mads Mikkilsen. Its not in anyway groundbreaking but its an easy watch. One of the things I love about Danish TV is the way there only seems to be about 10 actors who turn up in each series, and again you'll see the same familiar faces in this...

I have just finished Series 2 of Israeli TV show Hatufim (Prisoners of War) which was the inspiration for Homeland. The second series was fantastic, way better than series 2 of Homeland. It mightn't be popular in the current climate to watch a show about IDF prisoners of war, but I would heartily recommend it, as its very balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I absolutely loved Borgen. I really liked the West Wing but I thought Borgen was even better. It manage to cover topical issues very well but also gives a rounded sense of the impact a job like PM has on family life. They got the balance so right between the personal lives of characters and an indept explorations of the political issues at the heart of their professional lives.

Like Sheela I also really liked Hatufim. It's the inspiration for Homeland but apart from it being about POWs there's not much comparrison between the two. Again Hatufim gives more than the polished US series, it's a much more realistic and tangible sense of the grief,pain and the loss that goes with having years of your life violently stolen from you. It's quite heart rending.

I also watched Arvingerne which is another series by the makers of Borgen and to date their highest rated series shown in Denmark. I really enjoyed it. It's a family drama dealing with the reverberations caused by the will of an eccentric artist's will after her death. It's coming to Sky Arts in the autumn, I'd recommend it highly. Season 2 is in production and the rights to the US remake were bought before it even hit screens in Denmark!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

Not similar, but Les Revenants is possibly the best foreign series I've watched. Can't wait for season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Not similar, but Les Revenants is possibly the best foreign series I've watched. Can't wait for season 2.

+1

Another French series worth checking out is Engrenage (Spiral) which follows Parisian police, solictors and a judge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sheela wrote: »
    +1

Another French series worth checking out is Engrenage (Spiral) which follows Parisian police, solictors and a judge.

Season one is very ropey but if you stick with it the quality improves tenfold in season two and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Cheers all, haven't seen any of them that ye mentioned. So that gives me a few options to check out over the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Coming to the end of Season 3 and it's definitely worth persisting with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement