Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil tank filler

Options
  • 16-10-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

if someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatfull' we have a garage at the side of our house which we want to convert to a room. 'the problem is the oil tank is at the rear of the house and to fill it the oil company bring the hose through the garage ,if we convert the garage there will be no access for the oil company to the tank, is it possible to install a pipe running underground from the front of the garage to the rear of the house into the oil tank that can be used for filling the tank, is this a job for a plumber?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it be possible for the oil man to run the hose inside the house instead to gain access, messy I know but if you put down newspapers it shouldn't be a problem, some of my neighbours have to do this as they have no side access.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Would it be possible for the oil man to run the hose inside the house instead to gain access, messy I know but if you put down newspapers it shouldn't be a problem, some of my neighbours have to do this as they have no side access.

thanks atlantic, we're keeping that option as a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Certainly possible. I lived in a terraced house years ago with a port at the front to feed the oil to the tank in the rear. Oil truck drivers were reluctant to use it saying it might leak or be rusty but were persuaded to use it. I think they were installed by oil company. All houses on the road had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

sohappy wrote: »
    if someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatfull' we have a garage at the side of our house which we want to convert to a room. 'the problem is the oil tank is at the rear of the house and to fill it the oil company bring the hose through the garage ,if we convert the garage there will be no access for the oil company to the tank, is it possible to install a pipe running underground from the front of the garage to the rear of the house into the oil tank that can be used for filling the tank, is this a job for a plumber?

Yes you can run a pipe to a fill point at the front of the house, it will require a Oftec registered Engineer, you'll find one on www.oftec.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You cannot run an external fill point unless the driver can physically see the vent pipe on the tank and I mean see into it. He must also have an overfill alarm and automatic cut-off device fitted to his truck, however there is only one delivery company in Ireland that has this and they are based in Cork. The tank must also have an overfill device installed that is connected to the fill truck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes you can run a pipe to a fill point at the front of the house, it will require a Oftec registered Engineer, you'll find one on www.oftec.ie
    Hi Billy, you may want to correct that link as it is not OFTEC's website. Their site is www.oftec.org. The other is a bit cheeky and from what I understand "is being looked into".

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kd123

Hi sohappy did you get a solution to this I have the exact same problem, not an issue at the moment as the house is not done up but am about to start a mega renovation so bringing an oil line through the house will not be an option. Any advise would be appreciated. Cheers

Advertisement