Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid fuel stove - no chimney

Options
  • 08-06-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,
    I want to put a solid fuel stove in my living area but dont have a chimney or fireplace. Can i fit stove beside external wall with flue rising 1m approx and then pass thru external wall where it become stainless steel flue externally and continues to rise above barge level? Or is a chimney a necessity for solid fuel stove?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It would need to terminate above the eves of the house as per manufacturers instructions. The external flue needs to be twin walled to prevent condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ///Morgan

Does the flue have to go up past the eves of the house? I'm living in a townhouse, with another unit above me. If I was to let the flue up to the eves they would it would be right beside my neighbours dormer window. I was hoping to install a stove shortly up against the outer wall of the house with an external flue. Could I not let it up a few meters and end it there without interferring with my neighbour? This way the flue is over 1.5m from any window or opening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

///Morgan wrote: »
    Does the flue have to go up past the eves of the house? I'm living in a townhouse, with another unit above me. If I was to let the flue up to the eves they would it would be right beside my neighbours dormer window. I was hoping to install a stove shortly up against the outer wall of the house with an external flue. Could I not let it up a few meters and end it there without interferring with my neighbour? This way the flue is over 1.5m from any window or opening

It needs to be up over the eves. There is regulations regarding flues and with out seeing the set up you want it is hard advise precisely on terminal locations.

You might also run into the problem of the neighbour not wanting a flue on there external wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Ideally it needs to rise above the ridge of the roof, I've been watching a neighbour toying with a flue for the last few weeks, he's now about 4' above the eves without success.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    You might also run into the problem of the neighbour not wanting a flue on there external wall.

Thats why I was hoping just to run it up along the outside of the wall a little so it wouldn't interfer with them :confused:

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    I've been watching a neighbour toying with a flue for the last few weeks, he's now about 4' above the eves without success.

what kind of trouble is he having?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

From what I can see he's having downdraught problems.

Advertisement