Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fictional historical novels

• 24-05-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I really need to learn some more history. I was in a table quiz and didn't have the absolute foggiest when the Battle of Clontarf was, and I also really don't know my way around European monarchies over the past 500 years.

I'm not going to read nonfiction history.

Does anyone have any suggestions for novels based on historical facts?

I'm interested in anything from ancient Chinese empires, Egyptians, Romans, through to 19th century.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Your Majesty, if I might present the following humble offerings as good examples of historical fiction:

Napoleonic Era : Master and Commander Series - Patrick O'Brian
    Regency Romances : The Grand Sophy -Georgette Heyer
    Rome : The Falco Series by L. Davis. Ciecro series by Robert Harris
    Medieval: The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwich
    General Irish stories : Maurice Walsh

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Robyn Young's Brethren trilogy was very enjoyable, based around the ninth crusade

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

'City of Darkness, City of light' is a great read about the French Revolution.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/862108.City_of_Darkness_City_of_Light

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Edward Rutherfurd's books are enjoyable. Dublin is a essentially series of novellas telling the lives of ordinary (fictional) families centred around real-life historic events of Dublin (including the Battle of Clontarf) from 430 AD to 1533 AD, with a sequel covering up to the turn of the 20th century.

He also has similar books on Russia, New York, Paris and a few on various places in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll go source them and see how I get on with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I'm interested in anything from ancient Chinese empires, Egyptians, Romans, through to 19th century.

I read a lot of historical novels,for what its worth here's my 2c worth……………..

My favourite historical novels that I would recommend are……
    Shogun by James Clavell (Japanese)
    Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem (Roman empire )
    The Religion by Tim Willocks (Siege of Malta) *
    12 Children of Paris by Tim Willocks (Saint Bartholomew's Day Massacre) *
    In the Rogue Blood by James Carlos Blake (the Irish in Mexico) *
    Vlad by CC Humphreys (Vlad the Impaler)

*(Fairly graphic Violence.)

These are ones that I have read that are well worth reading IMO.

Chinese
    Tai Pan by James Clavell
    Nobel House by James Clavell

Egyptian
    The Ramses series by Christian Jacq

Romans
    Warrior of Rome Series by Harry SideBottom (most knowledgeable Author on Roman History IMO)
    The Emperor Series by Con Iggulden
    Legion by William Altimari
    The Druid King by Norman Spinrad

Others worth mentioned
    The Saxon Series by Bernard Cornwell (The founding of England)
    The Leopard and the Cliff by Wallace Breem ( 1919 Afganistan)
    If a Pirate I must be by Richard Saunders (Pirate Bartholomew Roberts)
    Apacheria by William Altimari (American west)
    Troy Trilogy by David Gemmell (siege of Troy)
    The Deceivers by John Masterson (India /thugee)

Other authors that I read previously and liked……
    Christian Cameron (medieval and ancient)
    Wilbur Smith (Africa mainly including some egyptian)
    Willian Napier (Roman)
    Morgan Llyweln (mainly celtic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

The one and only 'Strumpet City ', if you're wishing to explore Dublin in the rare auld times.

Also.........

Its hard to get ,but if you can get a copy of All things are Lights by Robert Shea it is well worth the effort.(set around the Cathars in 13th century france)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I,Claudius by Robert Graves is one of my all-time favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I'm really looking forward to exploring some of these novels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I,Claudius by Robert Graves is one of my all-time favourites.

I was going to mention this book, would definitely recommend.

Currently reading this one,part two in the series.
    If you like historical fiction this is one series not to be missed.Top Notch Imo.
    Great storytelling ,great characters and you dont so much read the story, as live it.
    The Long Sword, the second book in Cameron’s new series, the first of which was The Ill-made Knight, begins in Pisa in 1364. William Gold, now Sir William Gold, is expecting to spend the next few years fighting as a mercenary and collecting sufficient funds to buy himself the lands to go with his new title. However, Father Pierre de Thomas, Papal Legate of the crusade, sent for him, and he was obliged to put his personal ambitions to one side.Immediately William is embroiled in plots and counter-plots and discovers that not all Christians are in favour of the crusade. Cardinal Robert of Geneva is determined to have the Papal Legate assassinated and has in his employ the Count D’Herblay, the husband of the woman William still loves.
    Cameron is described as “one of the finest historical fiction writers in the world,” and I must agree with that comment. I was immediately drawn into the complex and dangerous world of the 14th century, seen from the viewpoint of Sir William Gold. He is a charismatic and courageous hero and, through his actions, the reader is able to understand the world of chivalry and knights.
    The history is impeccable, the story compelling and every character superbly drawn. I devoured this book in three sittings and cannot recommend it highly enough. It will be a long wait for the next book in the series.
    https://historicalnovelsociety.org/reviews/the-long-sword/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

I read a book called Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor, there's a great deal of historic info about the Regency period in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Baroque cycle by Neal Strephenson set in Isaac Newtons time.

Ranges all over the world from a mainly European slant but touches Japan, Mesoamerica, New England and India.
    The Battle of Aughrim even gets a cameo.

Advertisement