Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiction Books about Time Travel

Options
  • 28-05-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy guys.

Has anybody any recommendations for a book (or books!) about travelling through time.

One of my favourite books ever is 11.22.63 by stephen King, so have been searching for books along the time travel / thriller line of fiction.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand a recent book, a series of short stories, on the moral nature of time travel: "City Beyond Time" by John C. Wright

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

HG Wells - Time Machine (obviously!)

Well think a bit more and update...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Give The Breach Trilogy (Breach\Ghost Country\Deep Sky) by Patrick Lee a whirl, while the first book doesn't really have any time travel that I remember, the second has some time travel elements and the third has a cool mind f**k kinda time travel element. Great reads as far as Sci-fi thrillers go but not technically full on Time Travel books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Ben Elton's most recent book Time and Time again is a really good time travel story.
    Not time travel in the strictest sense but The first fifteen lives of Harry August will probably appeal to you as will Life after Life by Kate Atkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Anubis Gates (1983) is a time travel fantasy novel by Tim Powers. It won the 1983 Philip K. Dick Award and 1984 Science Fiction Chronicle Award.

A favourite read of mine and a top notch time travel Novel.It all sounds crazy below,but Powers writes so well that he makes the whole thing believable.
    Brendan Doyle is a twentieth-century English professor who travels back to 1810 London to attend a lecture given by English romantic poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge. This is a London filled with deformed clowns, organised beggar societies, insane homunculi and magic.

When he is kidnapped by gypsies and consequently misses his return trip to 1983, the mild-mannered Doyle is forced to become a street-smart con man, escape artist, and swordsman in order to survive in the dark and treacherous London underworld. He defies bullets, black magic, murderous beggars, freezing waters, imprisonment in mutant-infested dungeons, poisoning, and even a plunge back to 1684.

Coleridge himself and poet Lord Byron make appearances in the novel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A favourite read of mine and a top notch time travel Novel.It all sounds crazy below,but Powers writes so well that he makes the whole thing believable.

Sounds great - I must seek this out.

Many thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. You've given me some good leads!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

If anybody has an Amazon.com account, there are a pile of Time Travel books available for the Kindle for free today.

Some serious savings to be made. I got:
    • Timeshock: I want my Life Back, by Timothy Michael Lewis
    • Time Travel Adventures Of the 1800 Club: Book 1, by Robert McAuley
    • Wrong Place, Wrong Time (Surviving the Past Book 1), by Jennifer Clay
    • Chronicles of Time 1, by J.C. Allen & Shirley Hicks
    • Out of Time: A Time Travel Mystery (Out of Time #1) by Monique Martin
    • In Times Like These: A Time Travel Adventure, by Nathan Van Coops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Time travellers wife wasnt bad.
    Some good suggestions above.

If you want to explore different concepts of time travel then Robert Anton Wilson has the excellent Illumintus trilogy , that will really **** with your head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 obrogair

John Crowley's "Great Work of Time" (1989) is a good one that works in colonialism and the British Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

John Wyndham wrote quite a few time travel short stories.

Some can be found in "Consider her ways"

Others in "The Seeds of Time"

Really excellent writer of short science fiction stories - highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Slaughterhouse 5, by Kurt Vonnegut.

Also, great thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Virginia Woolf's Orlando.

Advertisement