Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone on a maternity leave contract - queries as to what I should be paid for

Options
  • 18-05-2015 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am covering a maternity leave since Dec last year and it is due to finish next week.

I am wondering as we are coming to the end of the school year, some of my classes could be missing or finishing up before my end date.

My principal is of the opinion that I should only be paid for classes covered whereas I would have thought if I was contracted to work x number of hours then I should be paid for those regardless. Who's right?

And because of my Principal's thinking I have had to fill out hourly sheets every week. Any other teachers covering maternity leave doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know in my school that when your on a mat leave you get paid for whatever classes are on the persons TT, whether those classes are in the building or not isn't the issue, you are available to cover them so you should be paid....as far as I know anyway !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

What does your contract say?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

What does your contract say?

That's half the problem as I never actually got a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

As you were contracted for more than 150 hours you should be on a non casual part time contract. You shouldn't be filling in dockets unless it's for hours above the agreed maternity hours. You should be getting paid for the set amount of hours each week you were contracted. Also you should be on the non casual hourly rate rather than the casual hourly rate so double check that. If you ring post primary payroll they can sometimes clarify these type of queries.

If you originally contracted for less than 150hrs, e.g the end of a maternity leave that happened to be extended then you'd be on the casual rate and only get paid for the hours you actually do

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/non-permanent-teachers/what-contract-do-you-have/non-casual-part-time-teacher/

As you were contracted for more than 150 hours you should be on a non casual part time contract. You shouldn't be filling in dockets unless it's for hours above the agreed maternity hours. You should be getting paid for the set amount of hours each week you were contracted. Also you should be on the non casual hourly rate rather than the casual hourly rate so double check that. If you ring post primary payroll they can sometimes clarify these type of queries.

If you originally contracted for less than 150hrs, e.g the end of a maternity leave that happened to be extended then you'd be on the casual rate and only get paid for the hours you actually do

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/non-permanent-teachers/what-contract-do-you-have/non-casual-part-time-teacher/

Yes, I was hired in December to cover a maternity leave until end of school term and yes I am thankfully on the non-casual rate yet I am still asked by the school to fill out weekly time sheets.

My classes are starting to finish up and I can't really afford to do without pay when I will be earning nothing in a few weeks and maybe thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Jane98 wrote: »
    Yes, I was hired in December to cover a maternity leave until end of school term and yes I am thankfully on the non-casual rate yet I am still asked by the school to fill out weekly time sheets.

My classes are starting to finish up and I can't really afford to do without pay when I will be earning nothing in a few weeks and maybe thereafter.

Are you in an ETB or secondary school? I know we have a time sheet for maternity

Are you in an ETB or secondary school? I know we have a time sheet for maternity

Secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Secondary school.

Ah ok. I can't help then, I don't know if you need to in secondary sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I'm in secondary and don't have to fill in time sheets. You should get paid for hours you were contracted for during the time period you were contracted. If a class is not there for whatever reason outside of your control you're entitled to be paid for it once your available to work at that time. You could be asked to cover other classes at that time. Your contract is treated similar to permanent staff e.g paid sick leave, maternity leave, etc up till the end of your contract

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Your contract is treated similar to permanent staff e.g paid sick leave, maternity leave, etc up till the end of your contract

Unless things have hugely changed, I don't think this is the case.
    If you are covering a maternity leave and are out sick, you do not get paid for that day as another sub will cover the day.
    That sub will be paid.
    You also do not get full maternity leave benefits and you're contract is not the same as a permanent member of staff!

• Advertisement

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Unless things have hugely changed, I don't think this is the case.
    If you are covering a maternity leave and are out sick, you do not get paid for that day as another sub will cover the day.
    That sub will be paid.
    You also do not get full maternity leave benefits and you're contract is not the same as a permanent member of staff!

Gaeilgebeo, I believe changes were made in and around November last year when they differentiated between non-casual and casual subs.
    A non-casual sub is someone that is contracted to work at least 150 hours in a school year for example covering a maternity leave and I understand non-casual subs are supposed to have all the same rights as a permanent member of staff. This includes the right to sick leave, maternity leave etc but where I am unclear is regarding payment for hours not actually taught but contracted to work. for example if a particular year group finishes up before others, if a class is out for example on a tour. I am assuming that a non-casual sub should be paid if we are supposed to have the same rights as permanent members of staff but just need clarification on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Contact your union for advice. They will know about any changes and their implications.

I would have agreed with Gailgebeo, I have done maternity cover in the past. Had to fill out weekly sheets for hours, did not get paid if I did not actually teach the class eg sick or they had finished up early etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Gaeilgebeo, I believe changes were made in and around November last year when they differentiated between non-casual and casual subs.
    A non-casual sub is someone that is contracted to work at least 150 hours in a school year for example covering a maternity leave and I understand non-casual subs are supposed to have all the same rights as a permanent member of staff. This includes the right to sick leave, maternity leave

I am surprised to see this change.
    I've missed it!
    So if someone covering a maternity leave is out sick, 3 teachers will be paid?
    The person on maternity leave, the maternity sub AND the sub's sub???
    Same for maternity?
    I find that very hard to believe.
    I've done several maternity leaves (not a million years ago) and you were basically paid for hours worked.
    This included extended leaves.

I can't answer your question about payment.
    When I covered maternity leave, I didn't get paid for classes not taught.
    We used time sheets and you put down every class taught to the minute!
    Maybe things have changed in that regard.
    I hope it has.
    Not your fault the class is away.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I am surprised to see this change.
    I've missed it!
    So if someone covering a maternity leave is out sick, 3 teachers will be paid?
    The person on maternity leave, the maternity sub AND the sub's sub???
    Same for maternity?
    I find that very hard to believe.
    I've done several maternity leaves (not a million years ago) and you were basically paid for hours worked.
    This included extended leaves.

If a non-casual sub is out sick another sub is not paid, but a teacher within the school covers the sickness under the S&S scheme.
    This change to sick leave in my opinion is only fair as anyone working under a contract for 6+ months in the private sector or anywhere else in the public sector would be entitled to sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

This was my first year teaching and my first post was a sick cover! Here I had to fill in time sheets and I was only paid for EXACTLY what I worked! Then I got a maternity cover from Nov until May and I was treated just like a regular teacher! I got paid for my 22hours regardless and if I was away at an inservice or extra curricular events my classes got covered and I still got paid! I know if other teachers on mat cover where out sick their first day was covered by s&s! The whole thing depends on how your principal and vp runs things! My friend in another school wasn't allowed go to sports etc cause they wouldn't pay or use s&s to cover classes! Instead of going to your union id go and have a chat with your p/vp first! They may not be aware of the changes to maternity contracts!

Advertisement