Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pace for my HM

• 05-05-2015 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been training for a HM in 2wks, roughly since Jan.

Most wks around 30, even up to about high 40’s in mileage. Has been based around 6days running. Usually -
    • 1 LSR a wk that’s been 12 – 15 miles or so in general. With a few harder miles towards the end.
    • Intervals once a week– mix of everything and some with a group I’ve been doing some sessions with.
    • Then lots of medium paced runs, generally 5 – 10miles.
    • I’ve been bad with tempo runs – no excuse.

My problem is I did the Samsung Night run the other wk to find where I am and work out a HM pace from that.
    But on the night I found it hard, sore back, stitch – finished in 40:55, a 2min PB from a yr ago – but I generally found it harder than it should have been but couldn't tell why. Then that night and into the next day I was sick, off work and have had a cold/chest infection that’s dragged on till the wknd. So I think this was brewing and is what knocked me a bit on the Samsung run. Worth noting that 4wks ago at the Bray to Greystones 10k, across the cliff path, hilly, stuck behind people, rocky, on sandy beaches at either end etc. I ran 42mins and felt great.

I missed a good few runs last wk, just did 2 short ones. Then did 13 miles on Sunday – very tired but not the worst. Yesterday morning I ran the ARC 10k, very slowly, still felt bad, in 45mins. Certainly was not racing.

Previous PB’s – should also add that I've trained harder this spring than I have previous years.
    • 5k – 18:50
    • 5m – 33:31 in Raheny. Jan 19th – as I was starting training again really, I was surprised with this race and how well it went. I've a lot of training behind me since.
    • 10k – 40:55 Samsung night run – the bad run.
    • HM – 1:32 this time last yr.

So the dilemma, what do I do in 2wks – Sat 16th ? My hope was to try break 1:30, go with the pacers, but now I dunno. If I go with the 1.30's I risk blowing up. I presume the smart move would be start myself at about 7 or 7.10 per mile pace and slowly try to increase the pace mile by mile?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If your PB is 1:32 I can't see any option but to go for it. Why not?
    Best policy is just to run even pace throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Thanks!

Any basic suggestions for what to do in these last 2wks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks!

Any basic suggestions for what to do in these last 2wks?

Which race are you doing btw?
    Maybe try to do a HM pace session in the next few days. Something like 3 x 2 miles @ HMP or 2 x 5k (2-3 minute jog recoveries) But try to get that out of the way before the weekend then taper from there, nothing much you can do to improve fitness at this stage to be honest.

Drop your long run distance this weekend and maybe do a very light session next week but nothing too taxing, say half of your normal interval session.

Thanks!

Doing the River Moy HM in Ballina on the 16th.

Hey - just to follow up. This worked out great.

The session of 3 x 2 miles @ HMP worked well and gave me confidence for 6.50 pace.
    The HM itself went well. Went with the 1.30 pacer, ended up at 1.30.02 but still, a PB.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Hey - just to follow up. This worked out great.

The session of 3 x 2 miles @ HMP worked well and gave me confidence for 6.50 pace.
    The HM itself went well. Went with the 1.30 pacer, ended up at 1.30.02 but still, a PB.

Thanks again!

Good going. That 3x2 I'd a good session alright.

Did that sneaky little hill right at the end (after the right turn) cost you the three seconds?!! While it's not a slow course, there are much faster around. No reason why you couldn't go 1.26/1.27 or thereabouts this year by the sounds of it.

Good going. That 3x2 I'd a good session alright.

Did that sneaky little hill right at the end (after the right turn) cost you the three seconds?!! While it's not a slow course, there are much faster around. No reason why you couldn't go 1.26/1.27 or thereabouts this year by the sounds of it.

Yeah, well I sprinted up that hill (or felt like I did anyway). I think really I'd lost a bit of time across the 2 miles before and the damage was done, so if anything I clawed back to a 1.30.02.

Really, I slowed a little I think due to confidence. if I did that same race next wk I think I could have held on a little longer to get under 1.30 - I think a little mental strength was missing as I never knew for sure I could run that pace for a HM. There were 2 times in the race I was about to slow but I copped on and held on for longer. The difference between wanting to stop, and needing to stop - easily mixed up.
    At one point at mile 6.5 or so I slowed back, resigned myself to dropping back but came to a small downhill, rolled down it and thought f**k it, and caught back up with the pacer and stayed till about mile 10, near the end of the forest section.

Yeah I hope to line up for the Clontarf HM and the usual DCM race series.
    I have a few wks before starting into a DCM 18wk plan, looking at P&D, would like to do the 55 to 70 plan but am doubtful about the amount of time I have, really. I have another job outside my full time job so time can get tight, but its not impossible. If not its the up to 55 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Good stuff.

Clontarf is a weird one. If I were you I would considered an alternative. It's a decent race but it has many variables (wind, sand). I paced the 1.30 group last year and we banked 45 seconds (I think) on the out section. The group imploded into the wind coming back. If anything we should have banked more. The wind makes that's much difference, it's also very hard to predict and judge effort/pace.

Just something to consider perhaps, especially if aiming to run 1.29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

If you are looking for a fast half East of Ireland Marathons have a half in Lusk on 27 June - by all accounts it's a fast course.

http://www.eastofirelandmarathons.com/running-mararthon-events.php

Advertisement