Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing desks

• 26-11-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭

So I have been sitting for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week since I was 4. I have back issues. At HQ you can get a converter desk that can be sitting or standing but our office is not compatible. Paid a lot on getting my back sorted so if this can help me I will give it a go.

So I bought the parts for the following and plan to stand part of the day. Checking emails in the morning etc and some other things like that. I have 3 monitors so I can just set one on this.

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

yup, been hearing a lot about standing desks. And similarly have used them at company HQ. Trying to get them in our office and there is light at the end of the tunnel but a surprising amount of resistance and even scoffing from other office inhabitants!

I love them personally when I am based out of HQ for a while; really good for impromptu at-your-desk-meetings as well as the health benefits of being able to stand and work at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

Some groups where I work have standing only meetings in an office that has no chairs. It's quite a clever move, but I think it doesn't have much to do with back health :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We would have standing meetings, also some of our desks you can raised them up if u want to stand up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

have heard of people sitting on swiss balls instead of office chairs, better posture and core workout . keep meaning to try it out but never get round to it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Used to do a weekly video call with a guy in Japan a few years back. He would be on a space hopper for the whole thing. iChat would constantly pixelate due to the movement. Was crazy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 boogiewonder

I am a huge fan of standing desks. Not for losing weight/fitness but for the fact that I feel better just by not sitting hunched over. Alternating between sitting and standing is ideal. Now when I am forced to sit for a long time I remember how bad it was. My legs and back start to complain and I feel tired. I think more companies should offer these desks
    I bought one here: standingdesk.ie
    Worked out great. It has a motor so I just click between my two optimum heights.

2 days using this and its great. I feel very focused and less tired during the day. The tip is to wear light shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Hi,
    I have had bad back problems, bulging disks and the usual neck pain due to 10+ years of sitting at a PC.

I spent far too much money on chiropractors and osteopaths and finally got myself a standing desk and it solved all my problems within weeks.

Wrote an article about it here: http://www.friday.ie/journal/standing_desk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

rom wrote: »
    2 days using this and its great. I feel very focused and less tired during the day. The tip is to wear light shoes.

And use a yoga mat to stand on. I converted my desk when marathon training last year & it made a massive difference - problem is no one I work with runs so they all just thought I was crazy & I'm back sitting now :) I must fix that tho thanks for the reminder! Had been looking at the varidesk too.

5 months later still great. No back issues anymore. Light shoes are important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd absolutely would love a standing desk! Although would you need to concentrate much to make sure your posture is good when standing?

I'd absolutely would love a standing desk! Although would you need to concentrate much to make sure your posture is good when standing?

tbh I thought that also but no if its setup correctly.

What I built mine out of

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GMMDFF2/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GMM9G0U/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GMMD98A/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_3

Then got bolts screws and washers in the local hardware shop. they just needed to be wider than the legs. I used the washers so it would be a bit more secure. that then with a few tiny screws with very big heads to tie the shelf down to the bracket. I would recommend having the bracket bottom flat the same level as the bottom of the table if possible as it may be a tad off balance if you don't do it. So I put something under the brackets to make it more secure but its not really needed. It was about 10 mins with a drill tbh. Best thing I have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

No, when you stand your posture should be good anyway, mine is. My issue is that when I'm sitting I lean into the screen and can't stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

sitting at desks using keyboards and screens is an ergonomic disaster... and most people don't have them set up properly (correct distance, desk at right height, etc.). I've seen people with back and neck issues use standing desks for medical reasons, they do help.

Walking desks are all the rage in the US now... basically a treadmill under the desk going very slowly... but means you are active rather than standing still.

If that came in here, you'd have boardsies wearing their garmins to work, etc. ;)

annapr wrote: »
    sitting at desks using keyboards and screens is an ergonomic disaster... and most people don't have them set up properly (correct distance, desk at right height, etc.). I've seen people with back and neck issues use standing desks for medical reasons, they do help.

Walking desks are all the rage in the US now... basically a treadmill under the desk going very slowly... but means you are active rather than standing still.

If that came in here, you'd have boardsies wearing their garmins to work, etc. ;)

that's already a thing :D mine very kindly beeps at me throughout the day displaying the word 'move' i.e. you've been sitting on your ass too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

davejacko wrote: »
    No, when you stand your posture should be good anyway, mine is. My issue is that when I'm sitting I lean into the screen and can't stop it.

No, Already ingrained muscle imbalances and tight muscles don't just disappear when you stand. Sitting will worsen these problems but if you don't strengthen and stretch your back muscles and core, The imbalances and tension still exists and simply doesn't disappear because you are standing.

If everyone's posture was good when standing, why do so many people walk around all scrunched up with concave shoulders and jumped backs? Treat the problem at the root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Firedance wrote: »
    [/B]

that's already a thing :D mine very kindly beeps at me throughout the day displaying the word 'move' i.e. you've been sitting on your ass too long

What Garmin does that?

I'm looking for an android phone app that does the same thing, any suggestions?

dna_leri wrote: »
    What Garmin does that?

I'm looking for an android phone app that does the same thing, any suggestions?

I have a garmin Forerunner 15 which has an activiity tracker built in, it tells you how many steps you've taken in a day and how many calories you've burned based on that as well as being a GPS watch. If it senses you have not moved in a certain time period it beeps discreetly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

We got a message in the place where I work part-time from Health and Safety about getting up every hour for a 2 minute walk.
    I sent them the link to the standing desks and asked would it be an option.

This is the answer I got:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    We got a message in the place where I work part-time from Health and Safety about getting up every hour for a 2 minute walk.
    I sent them the link to the standing desks and asked would it be an option.

This is the answer I got:

:rolleyes:

As the poster above said: Varidesk Pro Plus (36″) cost €405 + VAT from http://www.fitpluswell.ie

Suggest that you are going to buy that and are they ok with you using it. It could force their hand in buying it for you as it would look really bad if you bought your own desk.

In HQ in the us many people have standing desks. I asked for one when they were kitting out our office which was from scratch 2 years ago so they can't really say to me that I can't stand at work. Best thing I have ever done tbh. My legs are never sore now as they are not in tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

We all have adjustable standing desks as standard in our offices. Ikea also sell them but they are over 500 euro at the moment. they are great.

As the poster above said: Varidesk Pro Plus (36″) cost €405 + VAT from http://www.fitpluswell.ie

Suggest that you are going to buy that and are they ok with you using it. It could force their hand in buying it for you as it would look really bad if you bought your own desk.

In HQ in the us many people have standing desks. I asked for one when they were kitting out our office which was from scratch 2 years ago so they can't really say to me that I can't stand at work. Best thing I have ever done tbh. My legs are never sore now as they are not in tension.

ha ha you think? They'd LOVE for me to buy my own desk!

Another member of our 'Health and Safety' was around 3 months ago to do an analysis of our computers and were they at correct eye level etc. He grabs a very thick book off the shelf and shoves that under my monitor to elevate it up to correct eye level as a 'temporary measure'.

Said book is still under my monitor right now.
    See what you're dealing with now?
    But I shouldn't complain too much as I do get to be on Boards pretty much all
    day:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont really see anything wrong with using a book to adjust monitor height. Why get a fancy schmancy stand when an old book will do.?

fits wrote: »
    I dont really see anything wrong with using a book to adjust monitor height. Why get a fancy schmancy stand when an old book will do.?

Fair point. I knew I'd never get a fancy stand anyways. He was just ticking a box.
    Hopefully I won't need the book any time soon!

So a year on I am using a this as they didn't like the look of the homemade one I had.

To be honest the homemade one was better as it was the perfect position while this one is slightly out. But no back problems for 1.5 years now. Sleep quality has improved a lot also. A sit standing desk is handy as often there are things that I require to sit for that take a bit of concentration but if I am on a conference call or something I find standing much better.

33-349-200_lg.jpg

So I am not convinced that standing all day or siting all day is great but mixing it up is.

Running feels much easier now also and niggles are a thing of the past. I only I can stop eating all the free junk food at work I would be flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Now that I think about it, I've been largely injury free for the last 2yrs, since I fully ditched the office job and became a full time farmer ha!

So a year on I am using a this as they didn't like the look of the homemade one I had.

To be honest the homemade one was better as it was the perfect position while this one is slightly out. But no back problems for 1.5 years now. Sleep quality has improved a lot also. A sit standing desk is handy as often there are things that I require to sit for that take a bit of concentration but if I am on a conference call or something I find standing much better.

33-349-200_lg.jpg

So I am not convinced that standing all day or siting all day is great but mixing it up is.

Running feels much easier now also and niggles are a thing of the past. I only I can stop eating all the free junk food at work I would be flying.

where did you get that Rom? I had a home made one for a while last year but it didn't work (as a desk, worked very well from a injury perspective!) I definitely want to sort something better for 2016.

Maybe I'll become a farmer like Timmaay :D

Firedance wrote: »
    where did you get that Rom? I had a home made one for a while last year but it didn't work (as a desk, worked very well from a injury perspective!) I definitely want to sort something better for 2016.

Maybe I'll become a farmer like Timmaay :D

just google ergotron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement