Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kangeroo more inportant than cystic fibrosis patients?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice that the Kangaroo thread has 336 replies and the thread on cystic fibrosis patients has 71, both were started at the same time. Interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

People dont want to make jokes about Cystic Fibrosis.

Its a respect thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

quick, call Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that isn't inflicted by a human. At the moment it isn't preventable.

Animal cruelty is inflicted by humans and also preventable.

Big difference in both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jumpy wrote: »
    People dont want to make jokes about Cystic Fibrosis.
    Its a respect thing.

..And good to see as such. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cystic fibrosis is sooooo last week.

(Seriously, it actually is. Sure Duffy had hours devoted to it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Cystic Fibrosis doesnt have a catchy theme tune*

*Inserted for comic effect, in reality i agree with the "not wanting to make jokes about cf"

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Link to that study demonstrating the correlation between the number of replies to a thread in AH and the importance of the subject of said thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that isn't inflicted by a human. At the moment it isn't preventable.

Animal cruelty is inflicted by humans and also preventable.

Big difference in both.

So it's more important to prevent kangaroos being traumatised than it is to discuss the issue of a new hospital ward for cystic fibrosis patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

But it was an actual KANGAROO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Goodbye Ireland's Roos!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I hope the kangaroo is ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

flyton5 wrote: »
    I hope the kangaroo is ok...

Turns out he was a wallaby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

curlzy wrote: »
    So it's more important to prevent kangaroos being traumatised than it is to discuss the issue of a new hospital ward for cystic fibrosis patients?

It is important to prevent things if we can, if we can prevent cystic fibrosis from happening then we will. We just need to keep the research up.

Animal cruelty is preventable, but we aren't doing anything about it. That is why so many people are angry about the animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

the thought of an animal being treated badly invokes emotions in a certain type of person that they just dont get when being told of similar treatment to humans. my only guess is that animals are always the innocent cute and cuddly types where if you hear about johnny from tallaght being kicked to death these people have ingrained predjudices and in the back of their mind wonder if this person was a scumbag - leading to less empathy.

CF is not cute and cuddly - thats my point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

phill106 wrote: »
    Turns out he was a wallaby.
    Sort of like calling your pet cat Tinkerbell when you were 8 years old olny to find out it was a Tom, i miss Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's more important to discuss what you want and not be chastised by sanctimonious blowhards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

My guess would be that not many people, other than people living with it or who have a friend or family member effected by it, really know what cystic fibroses is so they don't like to comment one way or the other. That doesn't make it any less important than the kangaroo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Anyone else notice that the Kangaroo thread has 336 replies and the thread on cystic fibrosis patients has 71, both were started at the same time. Interesting.

your logic is impeccable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

That Kangaroo was in dublin. You know how self obsessed dubliners are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

the thought of an animal being treated badly invokes emotions in a certain type of person that they just dont get when being told of similar treatment to humans. my only guess is that animals are always the innocent cute and cuddly types where if you hear about johnny from tallaght being kicked to death these people have ingrained predjudices and in the back of their mind wonder if this person was a scumbag - leading to less empathy.

CF is not cute and cuddly - thats my point

Nor are we being filmed on you tube kicking the snot out of CF sufferers either.

The research is ongoing, people are putting money into it. No good will come from internet crazies ranting about CF. It just won't.

The Kangaroogate however is something that can go viral and have a meaningful effect. It's place is on the internet.

If people are so bothered by CF get up off yer backside and start actively working in YOUR COMMMUNITY to raise funds/awareness/ lobby TDs. Don't come on to an internet website cribbing about a bias in reporting one incident over another. It's a pointless waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Total number of replies does not equate to the level of importance. Sometimes threads which address less serious issues get more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

yes, a kangaroo being more important than cystic fibrosis patients is clearly the conclusion we should make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 citkane

what about the kangaroo bailout, it keeps jumping

citkane wrote: »
    what about the kangaroo bailout, it keeps jumping
    ...but will rebound we hope!

stovelid wrote: »
    It's more important to discuss what you want and not be chastised by sanctimonious blowhards.

So I'm a sanctimonious blowhard for finding it interesting? Hmmmm the word "sanctimonious" would imply you think I'm passing judgement in some way, I'm not though, I just thought it was interesting.

So I'm a sanctimonious blowhard for finding it interesting? Hmmmm the word "sanctimonious" would imply you think I'm passing judgement in some way, I'm not though, I just thought it was interesting.
    In fairness, I don't think Stovelid was referring to your good-self but some posters in general. :)
    He could be referring to me to be honest (and probably rightly too sometimes). I can be a pain in the backside.
    Just ask my wife. :D

Biggins wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think Stovelid was referring to your good-self but some posters in general. :)
    He could be referring to me to be honest (and probably rightly too sometimes). I can be a pain in the backside.
    Just ask my wife. :D

I think he may have meant me because he did quote me first then mention sanctimonious blowhards so it would be a safe assumption to make:D. Sure doesn't matter either way. I did find the serious points very interesting though, I mean I get it, this is AH and not a serious place, but it is kinda sad to think we're so jaded with human suffering that we have a stronger reaction to animal suffering that human, know what I mean? Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if I was missing something but there were good replies that were spot on, such as people not having experience or knowledge of cf and also the simple fact that number of replies does not equal level of importance, I do feel better for having had other's input.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

How do you know the kangaroo/wallaby didn't have cystic fibrosis?Anyway look at it this way.......

How many people do you know with cystic fibrosis?I know four.Now how many people (outside of Australia) do you know who cruelly kill kangaroos at social gatherings.As far as I know this is unprecedented in Ireland.It's intriguing to a lot of people, albeit in a negative way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Biggins wrote: »
    He could be referring to me to be honest (and probably rightly too sometimes).

Not at all.
    I think he may have meant me because he did quote me first then mention sanctimonious blowhards so it would be a safe assumption to make:D. Sure doesn't matter either way. I did find the serious points very interesting though, I mean I get it, this is AH and not a serious place, but it is kinda sad to think we're so jaded with human suffering that we have a stronger reaction to animal suffering that human, know what I mean? Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if I was missing something but there were good replies that were spot on, such as people not having experience or knowledge of cf and also the simple fact that number of replies does not equal level of importance, I do feel better for having had other's input.:)

I think I posted in the Kangaroo thread but not in the CF thread and I actually know somebody that died of CF. I just fired off that response in semi-annoyance at the implication that favouring a light-hearted topic over a serious one is a prima facie case of the 'non-seriousness' of a poster. My contributions to serious and jocular AH topics are often completely random and not to do with how much worth I assign to the topic at hand

Advertisement