Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Google Chrome so bad...

Options
  • 30-05-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

at displaying my new website.
    http://www.djbarcoe.com/index.html

??

Firefox+IE work great reading my xhtml...
    Why does chrome make it look like a big mess???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You're using width="100%" and height="100%" for images. These should be pixel values e.g. width="220". You're also using height in tables which might cause further trouble. The markup you're using isn't proper xhtml but that shouldn't make much difference.

Brush up a bit on your xhtml, try to use divs for layout and get firebug to help you sort out the bad xhtml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

tricky D wrote: »
    You're using width="100%" and height="100%" for images. These should be pixel values e.g. width="220". You're also using height in tables which might cause further trouble. The markup you're using isn't proper xhtml but that shouldn't make much difference.

Brush up a bit on your xhtml, try to use divs for layout and get firebug to help you sort out the bad xhtml.

ok nice one.

question: i know that with tables you need to use % when measuring them so that it fits all resolutions.

I dont understand, when using layers, can you use % for them so that it fits all browsers?

e.g.
    <div style="position:relative; font-size:50px; z-index:2;">LAYER 1</div>
    <div style="position:relative; top:50%; left:5%; color:red; font-size:80px; z-index:1">LAYER 2</div>

this is what made me use tables for my site. i thought div tags only use pixel measurements so that top:100(pixels) wud appear different on diff screen resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Joebits wrote: »
    question: i know that with tables you need to use % when measuring them so that it fits all resolutions.

Actually using % means it will look different on all resolutions. Text will wrap sooner (or later) depending on the screen width which will alter non fixed div heights etc. and can seriously mess a page.

Using a fixed width (px) means the page will keep the same layout and will look identical on all resolutions. Personally, I design all pages for 1024x768.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

this is what made me use tables for my site. i thought div tags only use pixel measurements so that top:100(pixels) wud appear different on diff screen resolutions?

Where did you get that idea ? :confused:

The only thing I can think of is that you've been told this by someone who half knows their stuff......

If you use absolute positioning and pixels then most uninformed people would say "it doesn't look the same", when in actual fact it looks the exact same.

The reason for this is because what most people mean by "the same" might be, for example, having the site centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Incidentally, it just crashed my Chrome browser when I tried to go to that site.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    Actually using % means it will look different on all resolutions. Text will wrap sooner (or later) depending on the screen width which will alter non fixed div heights etc. and can seriously mess a page.

Using a fixed width (px) means the page will keep the same layout and will look identical on all resolutions. Personally, I design all pages for 1024x768.

This site told me otherwise about using %
    Step 3: While converting your design to HTML make sure all your tables are measured in terms of percentages

Now i'm :confused::confused:

This did make a difference, Before i had it all in pixels. Then changed to % and it looks same in ALL browsers/resolutions unlike the pixel measurements which made it vary greatly in diff resolutions...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

A little tip, get the XHTML compliment and then worry. Once you've it compliment, the chances are it will look the same on all browsers.

You've 132 errors

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.djbarcoe.com/index.html&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

Webmonkey wrote: »
    A little tip, get the XHTML compliment and then worry. Once you've it compliment, the chances are it will look the same on all browsers.

You've 132 errors

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.djbarcoe.com/index.html&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

I know i havn't made it look neat and tidy yet but it works perfectly in all browsers, all resolutions...so f.u 132 errors. u hatin...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know i havn't made it look neat and tidy yet but it works perfectly in all browsers, all resolutions...so f.u 132 errors. u hatin...
    Just letting you know such thing exists. It's good practice, that's all. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though so that's my problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That site is using tables for layout, so I'd ignore anything that it says.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That site is using tables for layout, so I'd ignore anything that it says.

What's the problem with tables?dont be hatin tables...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Plenty, a simple google search will explain it all, there's no need to go into it on yet another thread.

Advertisement