Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish adverts depicting men as stupid and women as clever

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Most ads don't come across to me as overly sexist. They just target certain markets. But this its4women drives me beserk. Katie Taylors dreary voice is bad enough, without her going on about how amazing women and and they its4women sell insurance especial my for women. Can you imagine 5 famous men rambling on about how great men are and then advertising insurance especially for men? My God there would be an outbreak!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

On the other side of it look at these ****e adverts - every one of them is a woman, as apparently men never clean around the house. Load of bs.:rolleyes:

pause that ad at 10 seconds.

went to see dave gorman live before Christmas, where he pointed out what was blatantly obvious. there's a great big cock and balls in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

My daughters a toy ironing board and a kitchen set for Xmas, amongst other things. They were delighted. My nephew got a power rangers outfit.
    This is societies expectation of genders, we are powerless to stop it.
    Every advert on TV is influencing us and telling us who we are and what to do, its an irish thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Facepalm alert: in the following video the female head of an insurance company talks about one of these sexist commercials and keeps referring to the male driving style portrayed in it as being "typical" for men and so as a result women can relate to it, hence the commercial (which won some prestigious award it would seem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

This happens everywhere - woman resourceful in the home and at work, making choices for the family when shopping while dad is an idiot to be laughed at or the subject of pity.

And after all that brown nosing, you still won't be getting any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

4 pages in and no one has posted the simplest solution.

Record everything that's got ads in it, and use the fast forward button. Saves so much angst!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Wibbs wrote: »
    And the number one reason? Women are the market being targeted, simply because they make the majority of household purchase choices on average and they're more likely to buy into it too. After all they've been groomed for it for generations with fashion and guff* designed to make them feel inadequate so they feel the need to buy ever more crap to offset that(Men are more targeted with the "Authentic" buzzword which is equally crap in 99% of cases). The "daft man" thing is just an easy sop for the sheep among said demographic to engender ideas of empowerment. I'd not be too non plussed about it TBH. What such ads are actually saying is women(tm) buy into this guff, so that's the guff we'll promote.

*you're too old, fat, ugly with bad hair, buy our product and you'll be saved, for this "season" at least. Oh and in case you spot this, we'll wheel out the you're a "real woman" nonsense. Here comes the science bit and all that shíte. I reckon women(tm) are more vulnerable to this kinda thing as they're more socially aware and peer based than men and from an earlier age too. There's generally more "fitting in" going on, so the thought of not fitting in is felt more keenly in women than in men. Again and obviously as a very general vibe.

This. I reckon ads are more insulting to the target market than to any groups they stereotype while trying to sell to them.

E.g. I think men should be more upset that advertisers seem to think men are stupid enough to buy anything if enough boobs are included in the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Montgolfier
    "Every advert on TV is influencing us and telling us who we are and what to do, its an irish thing. "

-- a curious claim: don't they have advertising in other countries too? Also trying to sell by any means, including appeals to gender stereotypes? Cripes, just see American programmes *eye roll*

Advertisement