Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join Ray for 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Did the Kilkenny run today, very well organised even and the stewarding was great along the route. A couple of killer hills on the route but overall an enjoyable race. The T-shirt is nice even though they didn't have my size X-Large and the goodie bag is a bit crap, a Whispa Gold bar, banana and a bottle of water, but I'm not going to knock it the entrance fee was only €5.

Ray Darcy hung around for ages getting pictures taken with every one and the race is really a race for everyone, walkers and face runners.

Will hopefully do it again next year if its near me, but as a non runner until a couple of weeks ago I'm now looking for my next 5K race so I'm glad this event was organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

I really wanna do the run in Limerick tomorrow.
    Im not a runner by nature but ive been training for a while and think i could do it.
    Anyone know if i ca just walk down and pay or even just walk down and do run??

Sean

There was people today who just turned up and got a number and were allowed to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

a good quality Tee shirt.. a goodie bag.. (the bag was good quality as well) and ray waited around for ages and was open to all for pics etc... well done to Kilkenny city harriers and fit4Life.some organising with over 1000 runners..... loads of photos on the fit4life FB page.. and other sites.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone wait behind Ray for the distance or just race it? Any idea what time the Sligo one is tomorrow, kinda tempmpted.

you have to stay behind ray for 2.5km.. then run like HELL............... all the 5ks start bat 1pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

you have to stay behind ray for 2.5km.. then run like HELL............... all the 5ks start bat 1pm..

Is there a :D or a ;) missing above?? Do you seriously have to stay behind him? I signed up for dublin but will give it a miss if it's not a race.:confused:

in kilkenny. Ray spoke a few words before the off.. everyone stays behind him for 2.5km at 8 min mile pace .. then you can do your own thing........ and everyone did as they were told... defo not a race.. really for first timers.... not chip timed ... but good fun and great craic around at the start and finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In Dublin last year, Ray wasn't there but Sonia O'Sullivan lead us off. Staying behind was not a problem.

in kilkenny. Ray spoke a few words before the off.. everyone stays behind him for 2.5km at 8 min mile pace .. then you can do your own thing........ and everyone did as they were told... defo not a race.. really for first timers.... not chip timed ... but good fun and great craic around at the start and finish...

More of a rolling start then.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

8 minute mile pace would be too fast for a lot of people I'd have thought - especially a beginner run like this.

• Advertisement

8 minute mile pace would be too fast for a lot of people I'd have thought - especially a beginner run like this.

Finish time of 24-25 minutes at that pace. Just looking at some of the pictures from the event and it did look like one or two were finding it quick. Hopefully a few of them will come back for the Streets of Sligo 5km in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did this with my brother who was doing his first ever run today. Really well organised. Over 2000 people and zero que to get your race number or t shirt. There wasnt much in the goody bag but it was a decent draw string bag which are always handy.
    Great to see so many people starting to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Did it myself this afternoon too. Loads of first-timers (myself included) but great atmosphere and really well organised. Ran just over 33 mins, signed up for another 5k on May 20th and hoping to break the 30 minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Time on my hands today so did my LSR in the park for a change (had only ever ran there for races), had registered for this ages ago thinking it was a race. Joined in anyway and was great to have company for the last 3 miles of my 20 miler!

Forgot what a great place the park is for running, must try to meet up for some of the group runs soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry for the bump here but anyone know the name of the photographer who took photos in Sligo?

He took a photo of myself, my brother, sister-in-law and my nieces and nephew after the race.. he took our names and everything but can't find it anywhere.

Not on Ray D'Arcy page, and SligoSportsPhotography have about 150 photos on their FB page and it's not there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Basq wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump here but anyone know the name of the photographer who took photos in Sligo?

He took a photo of myself, my brother, sister-in-law and my nieces and nephew after the race.. he took our names and everything but can't find it anywhere.

Not on Ray D'Arcy page, and SligoSportsPhotography have about 150 photos on their FB page and it's not there either.

Email the show, they're normally very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

Also, any photos, video etc of the Dublin run that aren't on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fuzzywuzzy1

Does anyone know if there will be Portaloos on the day??

There was last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Are race posted or do u collect before race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

dechol wrote: »
    Are race posted or do u collect before race?

You collect your number (and the free running vest) on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

I know it's not a race, but I've never run a 5k before, and just wondering what sort of times would be normal for say middle of the pack? I just don't want to be the last one to cross the line!

I know it's not a race, but I've never run a 5k before, and just wondering what sort of times would be normal for say middle of the pack? I just don't want to be the last one to cross the line!

You won't be last - there were people walking it last year who weren't going much faster than strolling pace.

I saw a steady stream of people jogging who finished at any time up to about 50 minutes last year (in Dublin). Don't worry about the time, just go at your own pace. Take it easy at the start, if you head out too fast you will regret it later on. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I'm in the same boat. Only been running 3 weeks and my only goal is to make sure I'm not last across that finish line. If I have to trip up an old lady with a walking stick then so be it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

What do u need to bring to pick up number? Don't remember getting email or anything. Do u just give your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

Skid X wrote: »
    You won't be last - there were people walking it last year who weren't going much faster than strolling pace.

I saw a steady stream of people jogging who finished at any time up to about 50 minutes last year (in Dublin). Don't worry about the time, just go at your own pace. Take it easy at the start, if you head out too fast you will regret it later on. Good luck!

Great to know, thanks! I'll be running 90/95% of it, but i'll definitely need to take a couple of breathers where i'm only walking, especially if there's any steep hills! :D

dechol wrote: »
    What do u need to bring to pick up number? Don't remember getting email or anything. Do u just give your name?

Yeah, they have a list of registered names there, you don't need anything else.
    They give you a running vest and your race number (and some safety pins to attach it). You fill in your emergency contact details on the back of the race number, just in case.

One other point, I remember some people saying the organisers only had Small, Medium and Large running vests last year, but I asked for (and received) an XL vest. If you would like an XL vest, ask for it, they should have some there.

It is very relaxed run - some runners will be looking for a fast time but most people just want to get around. If you need to stop and walk for a bit, do it. Lots of people will be doing the same. The stewards were brilliant last year, I got a great boost from the applause and encouragement they gave.

The feeling you get when you cross the Finish Line in your first 5K run is brilliant. Take it easy at the start, go at your own pace, and enjoy it. There is a goodie bag with some water, fruit and chocolate waiting for you at the end.

Good luck to everyone running this week

There is a Facebook Group set up for the races if anyone is interested

http://www.facebook.com/groups/joinrayfor5k/

Does anybody actully treat it as a race, or do you have to stay behind Ray?

Last year you had to stay behind him for the first 2.5k, he runs it at a decent pace though, think he finished in around 20/21 mins if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

I assume they provide somewhere to keep your bag?

Advertisement