Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dell XPS 13

Options
  • 18-01-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Does anyone have any idea when the new XPS 13 will be available in Ireland?

The base price in the states is $799. Any guesses on the likely price here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Saracen11

That's the old model. The new version is available on the US site.

Wondering when that will be out and estimate price.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

sorry when I saw the CES 2015 badge on the page assumed it was the latest. Can't imagine the new version costing much different to that shown (assuming similar spec).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Should be appearing on the dell.ie site today as I asked our Dell a/c manager about it a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

opus wrote: »
    Should be appearing on the dell.ie site today as I asked our Dell a/c manager about it a few weeks back.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family

Looks like it's up.

Gorgeous looking machine. If I needed a laptop, it would have to be on my list of contenders with specs like that.

• Advertisement

Appears they are only stocking the touch screen version. Basic is twice the price of the US. Really want to get it but can't justify that price differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hammer Time

I'm in the market for a new laptop and the XPS no-touch ticks all the boxes. Are there any sites people would recommend ordering from in The States? Is there any additional hassle associated with buying from there and will I just have to buy an Irish charger for recharging it?

Thanks

M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm in the market for a new laptop and the XPS no-touch ticks all the boxes. Are there any sites people would recommend ordering from in The States? Is there any additional hassle associated with buying from there and will I just have to buy an Irish charger for recharging it?

Thanks

M

You'll have to play 25%+ on top of the price. And seeing how poor the euro is to the dollar it just may not be worth it. You will also end up with an American layout keyboard, no big deal really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

[...]will I just have to buy an Irish charger for recharging it?

Thanks

M
    Dunno bout the rest, but almost every laptop charger is worldwide 50-60Hz/120-250V compatible.
    You'd only need a new cable or plug converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I really think the 1080p non touchscreen version looks like excellent value.

Hopefully in time it's available to Irish customers at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Really wish the non touch version was available over here.

Has anyone ever used a laptop with a touch screen? How useful is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I picked up the 899 version in US last week, great piece of tech, screen is fantastic. I'm a Mac convert so taking me a while to get used to Win 8.1 but the hardware is ticking all the boxes.

tw0nk wrote: »
    I picked up the 899 version in US last week, great piece of tech, screen is fantastic. I'm a Mac convert so taking me a while to get used to Win 8.1 but the hardware is ticking all the boxes.

What Mac are you coming from? I'm half thinking about a change of laptop, but I'm not sure. Was considering a Mac Pro, or Air but this Dell has me thinking of sticking with Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Had this laptop about a week.
    Screen is gorgeous although I don't see the need for QHD+ screen on such a small laptop. Makes RDP a pain in the arse even with Win8.1
    Battery life is very good. Camera placement (bottom left of screen) is certainly odd and is useless where it is on the screen. People end up looking at my neck for video calls. Wireless is excellent on AC and N, no issues to report. Keyboard and trackpad are top notch. Unit feels solid in the hand, with no flex.

Would definitely recommend this one but it's pretty pricey.

Edit: a small note - there's no Dell mobility center customizations and no Dell trackpad settings. I'm not sure if they are just not ready yet but the software isn't available from support either.

Came from Macbook pro 13", so I have same size screen now and full HX res, the 1080 lines is great for coding. Battery life is maxing out around 9 or 9.5 hours for my usage. I prefer the carbon fiber inside as it really stays cool to touch when compared to the mac aluminium inside getting warm. The one thing I do miss funnily is the mag charger, its a great idea.

It blatantly copies a lot of Mac ideas (charge level LED's on side, metal outside etc) but it copies and integrates them really well, if you like windows, this is a great laptop, linux support is v.dodgy at the moment will take a few weeks/months til the kernel is updated and 3rd party drivers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Thinking of this for working on code, server config,etc. Is 13" laptop big enough?

@voxpop It depends how you work/code. IMHO, coding on something this small is difficult. Granted with such a high resolution you could technically fit more 'code' on screen but you'd want to have seriously good eye sight at 3200 resolution. Your eyes would be wrecked at that sort of resolution.

The 15 inch XPS is an excellent machine. I'm sure they'll do a refresh later in the year but the currently model is excellent.

Dell have made some serious improvements to their XPS lineup with the current models. A far cry from the older Studio XPS for example

Edit: If you're looking for something 'portable' and like the larger real estate for coding, take a look at the XPS 18. You'll see what I mean when I saw "portable" ;)

On a similar but related note if you're looking for a 13 inch. Don't even bother looking at the Inspiron 13 7000 2in1. What a piece of s$@#. How it ever got passed quality control, I just have no idea. Utter rubbish.

I use this for coding, perfect for it, my only issue is elbow room on train :)

The screen I have is the 1080p screen, i.e. lots of lines of code on screen which is great.

Could you honestly code on a laptop that size 5+ days a week? :pac:
    tw0nk wrote: »
    I use this for coding, perfect for it, my only issue is elbow room on train :)

The screen I have is the 1080p screen, i.e. lots of lines of code on screen which is great.

18" is too big for what I want. This is like doing a few hours at home a couple of days a week on the kitchen table. Have a 6 year old 15.4 Acer, but it's slow,noisy,hot,has an average (at best) keyboard and needs to be plugged in.

• Advertisement

Ah if its only a few hours a week, go for it!

Noticing grating fan 'noise' on this machine under load. Didn't really notice it until now. But it's very noticeable once the fan gets going (in a quiet environment). Few posts on Dell forum already with similar issue.

Noticing grating fan 'noise' on this machine under load. Didn't really notice it until now. But it's very noticeable once the fan gets going (in a quiet environment). Few posts on Dell forum already with similar issue.

Very annoying. That would put me off, unless an updated BIOS could fix. My current laptop is a fiend for sporadic high intensity fan noise.

No fan noises to report here, I was watching a movie on the train the other day and the fan kicked in about half way through it (laptop was resting on my knees) but was v.quiet. That said, is yours the touch screen version?

Ya, touch screen version. Couple pages here on the Dell forums.

Ya, touch screen version. Couple pages here on the Dell forums.

Is the noise as bad as the dell forum suggests ?

Well, it's kinda of bugging me now that I notice it. I'll try capture a vid or sound bite of it later this week.

Well, it's kinda of bugging me now that I notice it. I'll try capture a vid or sound bite of it later this week.

Is it only when the laptop is working hard or at random times that the fan comes on?

Anytime the fan is on. It's as if the fan is hitting the casing as it spins.

• Advertisement

Non touch version now available on Irish site at €999. Is touchscreen worth extra €300?

Advertisement