Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dell XPS 13

• 18-01-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27

Does anyone have any idea when the new XPS 13 will be available in Ireland?

The base price in the states is $799. Any guesses on the likely price here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Saracen11

That's the old model. The new version is available on the US site.

Wondering when that will be out and estimate price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

sorry when I saw the CES 2015 badge on the page assumed it was the latest. Can't imagine the new version costing much different to that shown (assuming similar spec).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Should be appearing on the dell.ie site today as I asked our Dell a/c manager about it a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

opus wrote: »
    Should be appearing on the dell.ie site today as I asked our Dell a/c manager about it a few weeks back.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family

Looks like it's up.

Gorgeous looking machine. If I needed a laptop, it would have to be on my list of contenders with specs like that.

• Advertisement

Appears they are only stocking the touch screen version. Basic is twice the price of the US. Really want to get it but can't justify that price differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hammer Time

I'm in the market for a new laptop and the XPS no-touch ticks all the boxes. Are there any sites people would recommend ordering from in The States? Is there any additional hassle associated with buying from there and will I just have to buy an Irish charger for recharging it?

Thanks

M

I'm in the market for a new laptop and the XPS no-touch ticks all the boxes. Are there any sites people would recommend ordering from in The States? Is there any additional hassle associated with buying from there and will I just have to buy an Irish charger for recharging it?

Thanks

M

You'll have to play 25%+ on top of the price. And seeing how poor the euro is to the dollar it just may not be worth it. You will also end up with an American layout keyboard, no big deal really though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

[...]will I just have to buy an Irish charger for recharging it?

Thanks

M
    Dunno bout the rest, but almost every laptop charger is worldwide 50-60Hz/120-250V compatible.
    You'd only need a new cable or plug converter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I really think the 1080p non touchscreen version looks like excellent value.

Hopefully in time it's available to Irish customers at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Really wish the non touch version was available over here.

Has anyone ever used a laptop with a touch screen? How useful is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I picked up the 899 version in US last week, great piece of tech, screen is fantastic. I'm a Mac convert so taking me a while to get used to Win 8.1 but the hardware is ticking all the boxes.

tw0nk wrote: »
    I picked up the 899 version in US last week, great piece of tech, screen is fantastic. I'm a Mac convert so taking me a while to get used to Win 8.1 but the hardware is ticking all the boxes.

What Mac are you coming from? I'm half thinking about a change of laptop, but I'm not sure. Was considering a Mac Pro, or Air but this Dell has me thinking of sticking with Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Had this laptop about a week.
    Screen is gorgeous although I don't see the need for QHD+ screen on such a small laptop. Makes RDP a pain in the arse even with Win8.1
    Battery life is very good. Camera placement (bottom left of screen) is certainly odd and is useless where it is on the screen. People end up looking at my neck for video calls. Wireless is excellent on AC and N, no issues to report. Keyboard and trackpad are top notch. Unit feels solid in the hand, with no flex.

Would definitely recommend this one but it's pretty pricey.

Edit: a small note - there's no Dell mobility center customizations and no Dell trackpad settings. I'm not sure if they are just not ready yet but the software isn't available from support either.

Came from Macbook pro 13", so I have same size screen now and full HX res, the 1080 lines is great for coding. Battery life is maxing out around 9 or 9.5 hours for my usage. I prefer the carbon fiber inside as it really stays cool to touch when compared to the mac aluminium inside getting warm. The one thing I do miss funnily is the mag charger, its a great idea.

It blatantly copies a lot of Mac ideas (charge level LED's on side, metal outside etc) but it copies and integrates them really well, if you like windows, this is a great laptop, linux support is v.dodgy at the moment will take a few weeks/months til the kernel is updated and 3rd party drivers available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Thinking of this for working on code, server config,etc. Is 13" laptop big enough?

@voxpop It depends how you work/code. IMHO, coding on something this small is difficult. Granted with such a high resolution you could technically fit more 'code' on screen but you'd want to have seriously good eye sight at 3200 resolution. Your eyes would be wrecked at that sort of resolution.

The 15 inch XPS is an excellent machine. I'm sure they'll do a refresh later in the year but the currently model is excellent.

Dell have made some serious improvements to their XPS lineup with the current models. A far cry from the older Studio XPS for example

Edit: If you're looking for something 'portable' and like the larger real estate for coding, take a look at the XPS 18. You'll see what I mean when I saw "portable" ;)

On a similar but related note if you're looking for a 13 inch. Don't even bother looking at the Inspiron 13 7000 2in1. What a piece of s$@#. How it ever got passed quality control, I just have no idea. Utter rubbish.

I use this for coding, perfect for it, my only issue is elbow room on train :)

The screen I have is the 1080p screen, i.e. lots of lines of code on screen which is great.

Could you honestly code on a laptop that size 5+ days a week? :pac:
    tw0nk wrote: »
    I use this for coding, perfect for it, my only issue is elbow room on train :)

The screen I have is the 1080p screen, i.e. lots of lines of code on screen which is great.

18" is too big for what I want. This is like doing a few hours at home a couple of days a week on the kitchen table. Have a 6 year old 15.4 Acer, but it's slow,noisy,hot,has an average (at best) keyboard and needs to be plugged in.

• Advertisement

Ah if its only a few hours a week, go for it!

Noticing grating fan 'noise' on this machine under load. Didn't really notice it until now. But it's very noticeable once the fan gets going (in a quiet environment). Few posts on Dell forum already with similar issue.

Noticing grating fan 'noise' on this machine under load. Didn't really notice it until now. But it's very noticeable once the fan gets going (in a quiet environment). Few posts on Dell forum already with similar issue.

Very annoying. That would put me off, unless an updated BIOS could fix. My current laptop is a fiend for sporadic high intensity fan noise.

No fan noises to report here, I was watching a movie on the train the other day and the fan kicked in about half way through it (laptop was resting on my knees) but was v.quiet. That said, is yours the touch screen version?

Ya, touch screen version. Couple pages here on the Dell forums.

Ya, touch screen version. Couple pages here on the Dell forums.

Is the noise as bad as the dell forum suggests ?

Well, it's kinda of bugging me now that I notice it. I'll try capture a vid or sound bite of it later this week.

Well, it's kinda of bugging me now that I notice it. I'll try capture a vid or sound bite of it later this week.

Is it only when the laptop is working hard or at random times that the fan comes on?

Anytime the fan is on. It's as if the fan is hitting the casing as it spins.

• Advertisement

Non touch version now available on Irish site at €999. Is touchscreen worth extra €300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Saracen11 wrote: »
    Non touch version now available on Irish site at €999.....

Great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone able to explain is this

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=cnx4304&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

real or just an error the site. Didn't think the FHD version had that CPU. On the comparison page, it labels this as touch-enabled, which I thought was only the QHD+ models.

Would prefer the faster CPU, but don't really want touch or need the higher res screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I checked with our Dell account rep and the FHD isn't touch enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

opus wrote: »
    I checked with our Dell account rep and the FHD isn't touch enabled.

Is it actually a FHD with a i7 5600u? Thought the FHD were only going up to the i5 5200u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Thinking of upgrading my 8 year old Inspiron 6400. :) Can't decide between the QHD+ and FHD model. I've read that the FHD battery lasts 3 hours longer than the QHD+ which is pushing me towards the FHD but I wonder would I regret not opting for the QHD+ in a few years? In fairness, with the screen being relatively small, I think QHD+ might be overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Edit: a small note - there's no Dell mobility center customizations and no Dell trackpad settings. I'm not sure if they are just not ready yet but the software isn't available from support either.

Just a quick note on this, the XPS13 is one of the first laptops to support Microsofts "Precision Trackpad", which is essentially an attempt by Microsoft to tackle the poor standard of trackpads in the Windows world.

The reason that there's no Dell software for it is because it's all handled by Windows. You can read more about it here.

Anything that helps the state of trackpads is a very good thing, imo.

Just ordered the FHD with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD with the Premier Sleeve for €1,031.77 delivered (got 10% off the laptop with Dell VIP club).

fletch wrote: »
    Just ordered the FHD with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD with the Premier Sleeve for €1,031.77 delivered (got 10% off the laptop with Dell VIP club).

You got lucky by just ordering now. I ordered an XPS with the same specs on the 5th of April but they have only started processing my order now as apparently they were suffering a shortage of 256GB SSDs. Now have a delivery date of 6th of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Mine just arrived yesterday. Have to say it is a very impressive piece of kit. Coming from a Macbook Air I can see all the design influences, however I could never really warm to OS/X.

The one thing I do miss is the trackpad. Reading the comments above is surprising, I still find the trackpad to be slightly inferior. I'll be running a wireless mouse for the most part I'd say so not really a big deal.

More a windows issue, but is anyone else having display scaling issues? I notice that some programs (bit torrent) and web pages (gmail inbox) look absolutely horrible on the 1080 screen. Possibly missing a trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Very interested in this. My 2009 macbook is seriously long in the tooth now and want to move back to windows. Have windows 7 installed via bootcamp and I find myself doing all my work through it.

Really looking for a fast, clean laptop with minimal bloat. Remember Dells back in the day were really bad for it.

What's the about of bloatware/crapware like?

• Advertisement

Just noticed, Dell are doing a FHD touchscreen model but it seems to be limited to Ubuntu Linux for €1,029. The equivalent FHD Windows version is €1,099 but the screen isn't touchscreen.

Thanks for that. Some of the trackpads used on recent Dell machines have been very poor.

And why the fudge couldn't our rep tell me about the Precision Trackpad info. Sigh.

Edit: The camera placement is still a pain in the ....
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Just a quick note on this, the XPS13 is one of the first laptops to support Microsofts "Precision Trackpad", which is essentially an attempt by Microsoft to tackle the poor standard of trackpads in the Windows world.

The reason that there's no Dell software for it is because it's all handled by Windows. You can read more about it here.

Anything that helps the state of trackpads is a very good thing, imo.

My order status has changed to "Shipped" The original estimated delivery date was 15/05/2015 so I presume it's going to be a lot earlier than that? Where are the laptops shipped from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Mine changed to shipped on Monday but still no tracking information available so no idea what to make of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Anyone finding the battery estimate to be wildly unpredictable?

I'm sitting here doing hardly anything but it jumps between 2.5 to 8.5 hours...and nowhere near the 11 hours from reviews.

Hoping it just needs a few cycles to get it right, I remember my macbook did similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bossdon

Im looking to upgrade my inspiron 6400 to xps 13. Can anyone explain the 10% VIP offer to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Anyone finding the battery estimate to be wildly unpredictable?

I'm sitting here doing hardly anything but it jumps between 2.5 to 8.5 hours...and nowhere near the 11 hours from reviews.

Hoping it just needs a few cycles to get it right, I remember my macbook did similar.

I haven't noticed that. Don't think it's near 11 hours either but I think I'm getting a good 7/8 hours. Haven't noticed the charge/ % jumping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Are there ever any offers on this? Looks like just what I am looking for but ever so slightly over max budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

fletch wrote: »

Thats a pretty good deal!

Would love to have seen that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Hoping to pick up the developer edition soon.

How long does delivery take usually? Reason being I'm going on holiday soon and need it before I travel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement