Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Children : Treating busy street as an area to play

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Rogaine2 wrote: »
    Are you about 12 and just received your internetz licence?

No. I just don't like bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No. I just don't like bullies.

Looks like you don't like actually parenting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Not a small kid obviously panicking, cycling, at precarious speed after being abandoned by siblings.

Then a parent somewhere made a bad mistake......if the child wasn't able to manage the bike in a confident manner then he/she should not have been out on any road without ADULT supervision.If the parent wasn't confident his/her siblings weren't capable of minding the youngster the child shouldn't have been allowed out without ADULT supervision........

Looks like you don't like actually parenting either.

Where did you get that idea from?

Then a parent somewhere made a bad mistake....

Fair enough.

No need to beep at the kid to purposely scare him and then shout at him. Sounds like he was struggling as it was.

Poster admits the kid was as young as four.

Four year olds aren't great at snap decisions and don't react well to aggressive drivers.

In that case they obviously should not be riding bikes unsupervised on the road until they have developed those skills.

The littlest hobo was peddling like a demon, looking behind him, in front of him, back at his brother and sister, swerving over and back the road. I was in no hurry, so I was not rude. However, it was clear to me, in the absence of any other direction, the poor little mite had no clue what to do on his bike. So I beeped the horn (to scare him! - big scary person I am!). I shouted out the window - 'Go onto the green with your bike and don't be on the road'.
    No word of a lie.
    I think this is been blown way out of proportion,the youngster was aware the driver was there,it's not like he tore up behind him revving the engine,sitting on the horn scaring the bejasus out of the child.I'm surprised that none of the parents here have acknowledged that Rogaine2 handled it well and by the same token criticised the parent/s for allowing it to happen in the 1st place.

In that case they obviously should not be riding bikes unsupervised on the road until they have developed those skills.

Indeed, that may be the case. Sounds like the kid got away from his siblings and instead of pulling in he completely panicked.

Do you think it's a good idea to beep the horn and shout at a panicking four year old on a bike?

Do you think it's a good idea to threaten people that they will drag their kids to them if they catch them cycling in front of them?

I think this is been blown way out of proportion,

Probably correct. What do you think of her threat to drag a posters kids home to him/her?

• Advertisement

Probably correct. What do you think of her threat to drag a posters kids home to him/her?

I think it wasn't meant to be taken as literally as it has been to be honest.

Indeed, that may be the case. Sounds like the kid got away from his siblings and instead of pulling in he completely panicked.

Do you think it's a good idea to beep the horn and shout at a panicking four year old on a bike?

Do you think it's a good idea to threaten people that they will drag their kids to them if they catch them cycling in front of them?

Yes to all. All of those are preferable to leaving a small child unsupervised in danger in the middle of a road.

I think it wasn't meant to be taken as literally as it has been to be honest.

She hasn't alluded to that since she made it in fairness. Is say she's the type that would actually do it and get herself in to a lot of trouble.

I think she's made herself out to be a typical know all when it come to raising (everyone else's) kids, a bully and an aggressive driver. She's got a few like minded fanboys though. That's to be expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

Ok. Case in point. Two weeks ago. Three little children who looked alike. Ranging in age from 4 to 10. 3 of them on bikes. In the middle of the road. The older two pulled in and pulled their bikes up against the green. The littlest hobo was peddling like a demon, looking behind him, in front of him, back at his brother and sister, swerving over and back the road. I was in no hurry, so I was not rude. However, it was clear to me, in the absence of any other direction, the poor little mite had no clue what to do on his bike. So I beeped the horn (to scare him! - big scary person I am!). I shouted out the window - 'Go onto the green with your bike and don't be on the road'.
    No word of a lie.

Perhaps I should repost........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Poster admits the kid was as young as four.

Four year olds aren't great at snap decisions and don't react well to aggressive drivers.

A great reason as to why they shouldn't be on their own. Clearly has terrible parents

A great reason as to why they shouldn't be on their own. Clearly has terrible parents

Meet a boy racer and they're fooked.

• Advertisement

He was with his siblings. Did you not read the post?

"The older two pulled in and pulled their bikes up against the green. The littlest hobo was peddling like a demon, looking behind him, in front of him, back at his brother and sister, swerving over and back the road"

He was peddling hard, looking behind him, in front of him, back at his brother and sister, he's serving etc....what does Rogaine do?

Beeps at him. A four year old.

Any driver with an ounce of sense will tell you not to beep at situations like this, around livestock, horses, at learner drivers etc...

Meet a boy racer and they're fooked.

Most would have better driving skills and manners than you in fairness.

"The older two pulled in and pulled their bikes up against the green. The littlest hobo was peddling like a demon, looking behind him, in front of him, back at his brother and sister, swerving over and back the road"

He was peddling hard, looking behind him, in front of him, back at his brother and sister, he's serving etc....what does Rogaine do?

Any driver with an ounce of sense will tell you not to beep at situations like this, around livestock, horses, at learner drivers etc...

It was a 4 year old boy on a bike, in severe need of a Mammy. Not a horse liable to bolt. The 4 year old had already bolted. I HAD TO take control of the situation, in the absence of a responsible adult.

His siblings were kids and they clearly weren't able to keep an eye on him because he still ended up terrified and in the middle of the road in front of a car

His siblings were kids and they clearly weren't able to keep an eye on him because he still ended up terrified and in the middle of the road in front of a car

With the car driver beeping and shouting at him.. Disgraceful carry on.

• Advertisement

I HAD TO take control of the situation

Well.

You made a balls of it.

Try harder next time. Engage your brain first.

With the car driver beeping and shouting at him.. Disgraceful carry on.

If only his mammy had cared enough to make sure he was safe from such scary monsters who had the sheer audacity to drive on a road

If only his mammy had cared enough

Your posts are getting sillier now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It's quite obvious now at this stage regarding some certain parents here not having a clue or basic educational skills to teach their kids. These particular parents should be forced onto a 3 month parental training course in how to teach their kids basic safety rules.

If these parents fail the parental exam test at the end of the three months, then fines should be brought in if there are any more complaints of their kids being let run wild on the roads without supervision.

Some parents here are as thick as a plank of wood. They have the internet and still refuse to teach themselves or understand any kind of safety rules in relation to keeping their children safe. If they had brains they would be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

I'm going to personally teach my kids how to safely play on the streets and hide under cars, as all good parent should do. Teaching kids how to avoid 2 tonne cars travelling 50 mph really isn't that difficult. Although inexplicably, for some reason it's usually adults that die from car crashes, not kids... Perhaps it's the kids should be telling the adults not to play on the roads/motorways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Hahah I love these parents.

"My child will do what it likes and you'll put up with it or you'll answer to me".

You'd be better off ensuring your child wasn't on a road swerving out in front of cars
    i'm proud to say my children are very well behaved and i can take them anywhere. people regularly comment on how respectful they are.

you have no idea what kind of parent i am.

donna35 wrote: »
    So are you saying then that rather than beep the horn, to let the child know he is there and get them to remove themselves from the dangerous perilous position they are in on the road that he should not do that? What should he do then? Mow them down? Sit and wait 5-10 minutes while they finish doing wheelies down the road? What?

Teach your children to NOT play on the road.How is this tiny piece of common sense SO difficult to grasp??
    the only perilous situation that kid was in was a driver who thought that an estate road is the same as a regular road and that the driver thought she had more right to that road. she was wrong on both counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

It was a 4 year old boy on a bike, in severe need of a Mammy. Not a horse liable to bolt. The 4 year old had already bolted. I HAD TO take control of the situation, in the absence of a responsible adult.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes in our estate before you'd be getting a call to the door to politely but firmly request that you stop acting the dick.

I love arriving home to our estate. It's a place of tranquillity where children are able to play in safety. Everyday on the few hundred yards I travel up to my house I pass kids playing football, little ones cycling their bikes and scooters, small kids playing with their friends. It's a close knit community where there's an unspoken collective decision that cars simply don't have priority - that's not what we want -
    and children can play in safety within the confines of the estate,

Some drivers are just self-centred morons who believe the world revolves around them and their car - sorry, but not in my estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I love arriving home to our estate. It's a place of tranquillity where children are able to play in safety. Everyday on the few hundred yards I travel up to my house I pass kids playing football, little ones cycling their bikes and scooters, small kids playing with their friends. It's a close knit community where there's an unspoken collective decision that cars simply don't have priority - that's not what we want -
    and children can play in safety within the confines of the estate,

Some drivers are just self-centred morons who believe the world revolves around them and their car - sorry, but not in my estate.

and some parents are just self-centered morons who believe the world revolves around them and their child, you can apply that sentiment to anyone or anything

your estate may be just perfect for you, but that does not negate the rest of us living in estates where it's not seen as wrong to have a 2 or 4 or 5 year old out minding themselves all day/night where the parents think it's perfectly acceptable to allow their neighbours/random strangers to mind their children for them while they sit on facebook moaning about the cleaning thats needed to be done and how tired they are because said 2 year old woke them up at 5am, following it up later by converging on a friends house next door for some well needed bottle of wine EVERY night resulting in the "feel like death" status the very next day, rinse and repeat.

as the op put in the title, treating a BUSY street as an area to play, not every estate street is in a quiet cul de sac, in fact our particular hill is actually a throughway from a 100km/h link road, (hence other parts got a speed ramp and we didn't) and yet these parents in their wisdom think its ok to let these children roam the area un-supervised?

that is terrible parenting whatever the situation in your case!

She hasn't alluded to that since she made it in fairness. Is say she's the type that would actually do it and get herself in to a lot of trouble.

I think she's made herself out to be a typical know all when it come to raising (everyone else's) kids, a bully and an aggressive driver. She's got a few like minded fanboys though. That's to be expected.
    "Like minded fanboys".......just because other people agree with the poster's opinion,doesn't make them "fanboys" You yourself agreed that the whole episode had been blown out of proportion.......

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    your estate may be just perfect for you, but that does not negate the rest of us living in estates where it's not seen as wrong to have a 2 or 4 or 5 year old out minding themselves all day/night where the parents think it's perfectly acceptable to allow their neighbours/random strangers to mind their children for them while they sit on facebook moaning about the cleaning thats needed to be done and how tired they are because said 2 year old woke them up at 5am, following it up later by converging on a friends house next door for some well needed bottle of wine EVERY night resulting in the "feel like death" status the very next day, rinse and repeat.

That's quite a rant.

Maybe you should use your energy in looking for somewhere else to live, rather than castigating people and trying to change behaviours in estates where appropriate priority is given to children.

and some parents are just self-centered morons who believe the world revolves around them and their child, you can apply that sentiment to anyone or anything

You got that from what he said?

It's a close knit community where there's an unspoken collective decision that cars simply don't have priority - that's not what we want -
    and children can play in safety within the confines of the estate.
    A question if I may, is your estate a cul de sac?? And is there an adult supervising the kids at play at all times??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

the parents think it's perfectly acceptable to allow their neighbours/random strangers to mind their children for them while they sit on facebook moaning about the cleaning thats needed to be done and how tired they are because said 2 year old woke them up at 5am, following it up later by converging on a friends house next door for some well needed bottle of wine EVERY night resulting in the "feel like death" status the very next day, rinse and repeat.

You have them all worked out, and managed to do so without any generalisations or stupid, condescending or bitter comments at all.

A question if I may, is your estate a cul de sac?? And is there an adult supervising the kids at play at all times??

Yes, it's a cul-de-sac.

And it depends what you mean by 'supervising'.
    If you mean does an adult run 2 yards behind every 2 - 4 year old at all times ready to swoop them up if a car comes around the corner - then no, they're 'unsupervised'

Reading this thread makes me glad I live in an estate with parents who believe in keeping their children safe! Judging by some parents on here, I could be living in much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's some eejits around here that need to get on to their local councils and demand they remove all the "Caution ! Children at play" signs from their various housing estates.

They're clearly illegal and they'd be better off patrolling the streets with bullwhips and clatter every child that even thinks of stepping on to a road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Children have no sense, and in any kind of urban setting they're going to be knocking around the road where they can see each other. This is going to happen unless you keep them cooped up in the house or in the back-garden, which is not going to happen. Children and teenagers will also play football or whatever on the road and not on the half-acre green which is fifty yards away from them. No-one knows why this is, but you might as well go and hold back the sea as try to change it. My advice to everyone is to practice emergency stops, and take it hawndy noy. :cool::cool: :D

Reading this thread makes me glad I live in an estate with parents who believe in keeping their children safe! Judging by some parents on here, I could be living in much worse.

Each to their own.
    I'm grateful I live in the kind of environment where we don't have to keep our kids cooped up in the house up or physically restrained all the time.

You may be happy living somewhere now where cars are given the priority - I suspect your views will change in time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

I'm grateful I live in the kind of environment where we don't have to keep our kids cooped up in the house up or physically restrained all the time.

Funny you should mention that, given you are the only person talking about physical restraint and locking them in the house. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are you about 12 and just received your internetz licence?

I'm 42 years old, a driver of motorcycles, trucks and more cars than most people have had cooked dinners, and a registered ADI. So Ai haz mai Int3rn3tz License a while. And I can tell you blowing the horn at a frightened four-year-old is the Wrong Thing(TM). They're rather different to a bum-fluffed 19-year-old in a fartcan.

Each to their own.

You may be happy living somewhere now where cars are given the priority - I suspect your views will change in time though.

Cars aren't given priority and that's not what anyone was suggesting in the thread. The kids in my estate are always out playing but usually on the green, and I never see tiny kids outside without someone with them. Obviously we drive slowly through the estate because it is a residential area and there are children out playing, but they seem to have a good grasp of "the road is not a playground".

You need to respect all your neighbours, not just your neighbours that have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

anymore irrelevant information that you need?

Nope. I've mined enough super-parent nuggets here to suffice for my grandchildren as well.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    And I can tell you blowing the horn at a frightened four-year-old is the Wrong Thing(TM). They're rather different to a bum-fluffed 19-year-old in a fartcan.

Yeah but it's easier to bully children. A 19 year old might actually retaliate.

Cars aren't given priority and that's not what anyone was suggesting in the thread.

Is that so?
    The biggest issue here is little things on bikes, liable to swerve at any point. I beep the horn and order them off the road.

Liable to swerve at any time.

Ie. out in front of a car and get killed

And there's not one person that would want that to happen. It's not that the child's in the way, the child could be killed.

• Advertisement

Liable to swerve at any time.

Ie. out in front of a car and get killed

And there's not one person that would want that to happen. It's not that the child's in the way, the child could be killed.

All small children on bicycles are liable to swerve at any time.

Doesn't mean you drive up an estate beeping at them and "order them off the road" - only a person with a misplaced sense of entitlement would consider that reasonable. The small child has more 'right' to the road than the motorist.

The correct course of action is to slow down, stop if necessary and proceed when safe to do so.

All small children on bicycles are liable to swerve at any time.

Doesn't mean you drive up an estate beeping at them and "order them off the road" - only a person with a misplaced sense of entitlement would consider that reasonable. The small child has more 'right' to the road than the motorist.

The correct course of action is to slow down, stop if necessary and proceed when safe to do so.

The small child has the 'right' to be safe and to play in a 'safe environment'. Of course, with rights also comes responsibility. It is the parents responsibility to ensure the child is safe.

If your childminder sent your 3 year old out to play unsupervised on the road would that be ok

The small child has the 'right' to be safe and to play in a 'safe environment'. Of course, with rights also comes responsibility. It is the parents responsibility to ensure the child is safe.

If your childminder sent your 3 year old out to play unsupervised on the road would that be ok

I wouldn't expect my child-minder to jog a yard behind my 3 year old as they cycled on the estate - so I guess that qualifies as 'unsupervised' as I can't envisage any other scenario which would prevent any potential swerving of said child.

How do you think you'd manage it?

God if I ever have kids, and I really hope I don't, I would be horrified at them being left unsupervised out to play where there was moving cars. I personally wouldn't trust someone behind a wheel with my child's life. I think that's why crèches have play areas, and schools have playgrounds, and why parks are enclosed.

Any child minder I know has gates up at the front of the house and the kids have free reign of the front and back gardens.

This whole notion of shoving your kids out the door in the mornings and leaving them to play on a street is barbaric. Social services would have a field day with those parents

This whole notion of shoving your kids out the door in the mornings and leaving them to play on a street is barbaric. Social services would have a field day with those parents

I consider this to be far more barbaric.
    Any child minder I know has gates up at the front of the house and the kids have free reign of the front and back gardens.

I'm really glad I don't live somewhere like that.

Imagine driving up the estate and seeing all these little kids with their faces pressed up against the gates, trying to talk to their friends a couple of houses up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement