Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ's New Irish-language News Service

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RTÉ have started an additional Irish language news service that's all.

Hardly a dire necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why would they want to learn of news from the outside world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The millions and millions of Euros wasted by the Govt every year in pandering to the Irish language Nazis is galling.
    We could be investing this money and the hours spent shoving it down our kid's throats into some useful education measures.

The sooner we accept that Irish is a dead language and stop spunking our hard-earned tax euros on the laughable life-support measures we currently engage in, the better.
    What political party is most likely to one day call a referendum to amend the constitution as to end Irish's status as official language? This is a major voting issue to me. Or is that too radical at the moment?
    None of them have the balls.

But if someone was able to collate and publish the amount of money we are spending on this charade and put it before the electorate, asking them if they wished to continue this funding - Irish would be removed as an official language in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the true cost of this madness is buried across multiple departments and in multiple projects and sections and we may never realise the real extent of the money we've pissed away on this.

Would you all like to see arts scraped for the same reason? Maybe shut down all the museums, too? Maybe disband the GAA? (Ok, maybe a bad example, but you get the idea.)

The Irish langauge is a nessecary faucet ot Irish culture, but while I don't agree that it should be forced on people (expeiclaly not in education) when it coems to TV, it should be there for people who want it. And if you don't, you can always change the bloody channel.

Saying it's a bad use of taxpayers licence fee simply because you don't agree with it sounds dangerously like the Mary Whitehouse demands for violence and sex to be taken off TV.

This is a disparate nation with a wide variety of tastes and desires. And Irish speaking people say their tv license fees too.

So anyone saying "Irish langauge nazi" or "anti-Irish brigade" get down off the high horse and accept that - guess what - there are people on this island who have the right to think differently to you!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Would you all like to see arts scraped for the same reason? Maybe shut down all the museums, too? Maybe disband the GAA? (Ok, maybe a bad example, but you get the idea.)

The Irish langauge is a nessecary faucet ot Irish culture, but while I don't agree that it should be forced on people (expeiclaly not in education) when it coems to TV, it should be there for people who want it. And if you don't, you can always change the bloody channel.

Saying it's a bad use of taxpayers licence fee simply because you don't agree with it sounds dangerously like the Mary Whitehouse demands for violence and sex to be taken off TV.

This is a disparate nation with a wide variety of tastes and desires. And Irish speaking people say their tv license fees too.

So anyone saying "Irish langauge nazi" or "anti-Irish brigade" get down off the high horse and accept that - guess what - there are people on this island who have the right to think differently to you!!

Simple question for you - how much do we currently spend on promoting/protecting the Irish language?

Without the answer to that question it's impossible to ascertain if we are getting value for money or not.

I have no problem with some funds being diverted into the Irish language for the incredibly small minority of people who may have an interest in it.

But how much is spent translating every official document into Irish?, every road sign?.

I'm not talking about the license fee - that's Mickey Mouse money - the true cost of this folly we're engaged in remains hidden, and the irish language zealots have an interest in it remaining so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, if we assume all your points are valid (not being patronising, just wanting to skip it all), we already have TG4 and nuacht. Do we really need another Irish language TV service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Simple question for you - how much do we currently spend on promoting/protecting the Irish language?

I have no problem with some funds being diverted into the Irish language for the incredibly small minority of people who may have an interest in it.

Em... yes you do.
    The sooner we accept that Irish is a dead language and stop spunking our hard-earned tax euros on the laughable life-support measures we currently engage in, the better.
    But how much is spent translating every official document into Irish?, every road sign?.

I'm not talking about the license fee - that's Mickey Mouse money - the true cost of this folly we're engaged in remains hidden, and the irish language zealots have an interest in it remaining so.

Well, if that's not what you're talking about, you're dragging the top of question: it specificaly states "RTE's new Irish langauge news service" in the title.

There is a fair point about how much it actually costs and whether or not it's value, but without actual figures, we can't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    You mean a private business made a private choice to change some parts of their business policy based on the feedback of their customers? What a disgrace!

Oh yeah, sure... ! - I'm sure a huge majority of Tesco's customers really wanted and were demanding signage in "Irish". :rolleyes: They were really getting lost in the stores without it and had particular problems finding their "Bia Eithneach"..... :rolleyes:

Long Gone wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sure... ! - I'm sure a huge majority of Tesco's customers really wanted and were demanding signage in "Irish". :rolleyes: They were really getting lost in the stores without it and had particular problems finding their "Bia Eithneach"..... :rolleyes:

Off topic again, but it's Tesco's money and they can do what they like with it. I'm assuming you still shop there, though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I have absolutely nothing against an Irish language new station. As long as it is not paid for through government funds.

Once taxpayers have to start writing checks to keep this useless language alive. Then we have a problem.

• Advertisement

Off topic again, but it's Tesco's money and they can do what they like with it. I'm assuming you still shop there, though?

I was answering the question asked - Who appointed you as a Moderator by the way ? ?

No, I don't shop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No one claimed that, so stop making up points to give yourself an easier argument.

Do you not think that Tesco have a right to display Irish signs? Or signs of any other language?
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I have absolutely nothing against an Irish language new station. As long as it is not paid for through government funds.

Once taxpayers have to start writing checks to keep this useless language alive. Then we have a problem.

The TV licence money used for TG4 is proportionate to its viewing figures. Ergo, that justifies it receiving the small amount of TV licence money it receives.

The TV licence money used for TG4 is proportionate to its viewing figures. Ergo, that justifies it receiving the small amount of TV licence money it receives.
    Who mentioned TG4? This is about an Irish language news station.

As for TG4 I doubt that but I'm prepared to be wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Both bad examples. The GAA is successful, wildly so and has a huge following across this country and beyond. It doesn't need to be forced or require continuous state supplied crutches. Trad Irish music is also wildly successful and again doesn't require crutches to sustain it. Museums bring in tourist money as well as being centres of education and research and the large ones have equally larger attendance numbers. Nearly a million people visited the four main National museums in 2011. Our museums get more visitors per week than there are fluent Irish speakers. The Irish language is not a good comparison to any of the above.
    The Irish langauge is a nessecary faucet ot Irish culture,
    It is one facet of Irish culture and as it stands a minor one as far as the vast majority who don't plug into it.
    +1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Which is it then? You have stated countless times that Irish should not be rammed down children's throats, that it should be optional. However, for it to be optional, this would still require "taxpayers writing checks". So should it be eradicated completely as a school subject? And if so, how are Gaeltacht children supposed to be taught, given that their first language is Irish?

Oakboy wrote: »
    And if so, how are Gaeltacht children supposed to be taught, given that their first language is Irish?

In English, it's a language they'll need to learn anyway.

• Advertisement

Who mentioned TG4? This is about an Irish language news station.

My apologies. TG4 was mixed up in the discussion from the beginning of the thread and I was posting with that in mind.
    As for TG4 I doubt that but I'm prepared to be wrong.

RTÉ 1 and 2 combined (who received the overwhelming majority of TV licence money) receive 13.9 times as much funding as TG4. Their market share is 14.5 times TG4's. In the market of these three channels (the only television stations to benefit from the licence fee), TG4 have a 6.4% share and receive 6.7% of the licence fee.

In English, it's a language they'll need to learn anyway.
    So we are going from ramming Irish down throats, to ramming English down throats. Nice. Are you for beating the hands of children who write with their left as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think funding for the irish language in the same way as the arts are funded is a great idea.
    The current model of keeping it on life support is a complete shambles and speaks volumes about a country full of insecurities, guilt and hangups. It does a disservice to the people and the language. Sad stuff really.

So we are going from ramming Irish down throats, to ramming English down throats. Nice. Are you for beating the hands of children who write with their left as well?

What language do you think the children of foreign nationals should be taught in when they attend our schools as a matter of interest?

Any child from the Gaelteach area who isn't fluent in English (and there isn't very m,any I'd wager) is at a considerable disadvantage in life in this country and will be better off in the long-run having English "rammed down their throat".

I won't bother addressing your 'point' on left-handedness, as it seems a particularly dumb anology even for AH.

I think funding for the irish language in the same way as the arts are funded is a great idea.
    The current model of keeping it on life support is a complete shambles and speaks volumes about a country full of insecurities, guilt and hangups. It does a disservice to the people and the language. Sad stuff really.

But is Irish news intended to do that? The Irish language budget is to facilitate already-speaking Irish speakers as well as promoting new ones.

• Advertisement

But then, isn't any act of education ramming something down childrens' throats?

Which is it then? You have stated countless times that Irish should not be rammed down children's throats, that it should be optional. However, for it to be optional, this would still require "taxpayers writing checks". So should it be eradicated completely as a school subject? And if so, how are Gaeltacht children supposed to be taught, given that their first language is Irish?
    Both. Irish should be an optional subject in school and we should cut funding for promoting the language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

West brits, west brits everywhere, go take your OBEs and bow before the queen, dub saps

West brits, west brits everywhere, go take your OBEs and bow before the queen, dub saps

And I thought I was passed... ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

About time.
    Reading English tires me something awful.

No one claimed that, so stop making up points to give yourself an easier argument.

Yes they did - They said that it was done in response to "customer feedback" .:rolleyes:

Yes they did - They said that it was done in response to "customer feedback" .:rolleyes:

No they didn't. "Customer feedback" and "a huge majority" are not the same team. Stop making up things to argue against.

Speaking of private companies making private choices, Boards.ie have an Irish forum, Teach na nGealt. Do you think that's "a national joke and embarrassment"? Most of the fora on here don't cater for "a huge majority". Should they therefore be gotten rid of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Jaguarpicante

It'seems not a useless language, it allows people to communicate with one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

OP sounds like a crank.

Fair enough they prefer English broadcasts, but 90%+ of what's on RTE is in English.

Does he expect every single programme to be to his complete satisfaction ?

I don't like soaps, but I manage to survive by watching other stuff instead

I was answering the question asked - Who appointed you as a Moderator by the way ? ?

No, I don't shop there.

So, I disagree with you, point out something, and I'm a moderator now....? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am offended being called a saps :-)

realies wrote: »
    I am offended being called a saps :-)

I think he meant "steps"

No they didn't. "Customer feedback" and "a huge majority" are not the same team. Stop making up things to argue against.

Yes they did - Have you actually read the post ?

Customer feedback my **** !

Not the same team? - Maybe you'll understand when you grow up....:rolleyes:

So, I disagree with you, point out something, and I'm a moderator now....? :confused:

You seem to think that you are.... :rolleyes:

I was simply answering a point asked of me by another poster. You accused me of taking the thread off topic. Mind your own business !

You seem to think that you are.... :rolleyes:

I was simply answering a point asked of me by another poster. You accused me of taking the thread off topic. Mind your own business !

You posted this:
    What really p***es me off apart from the stupid and useless road signage and the signage in Dublin Airport (where they've had the stupidity to give priority to the so-called "Irish"" and only have English in a much smaller script) are the pathetic signs in places like Tescos. Like we need signs on aisles saying such stupid things as "Bia Eitneach". A complete national joke and embarassement.... :mad: The last thing we need is an additional Irish language news service. When were the majority of TV license payers asked if they wanted that ? ?

Anything you post here is pretty much public. Everyone's business.

Bottom line - if you're pissed off with a private company, talk to the private company. If you want to vent on a public forum, accept that people have the right to reply. That's not moderation, that's just common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What really p***es me off apart from the stupid and useless road signage and the signage in Dublin Airport (where they've had the stupidity to give priority to the so-called "Irish"" and only have English in a much smaller script) are the pathetic signs in places like Tescos. Like we need signs on aisles saying such stupid things as "Bia Eitneach". A complete national joke and embarassement.... :mad: The last thing we need is an additional Irish language news service. When were the majority of TV license payers asked if they wanted that ? ?
    and why would they go to the bother of asking each person what they want the licence to go on. waste of time

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

stations operating through the irish language deserve whatever grants are available. leave them to go on commercial viability and we'l have more of the same imported dross (even that can appear as it is)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Both. Irish should be an optional subject in school and we should cut funding for promoting the language.

You can't have both. You said once taxpayers have to start writing cheques for the useless language that it then becomes a problem. That quite clearly implies that funding should be cut to 0. But funding cannot be cut to 0 if the language is to remain optional as we will still need teachers to teach the subject unless you seem to think that with it becoming optional that every single person in the country will choose not to do it? Do you believe that?
    But then, isn't any act of education ramming something down childrens' throats?

I agree with you. I was showing the absurdity of that ridiculous phrase that is trotted out by the same troglodytes any time the Irish language is discussed. There were plenty of subjects I didn't like, detested in fact (Gaelainn being one of them believe it or not), but upon reflection since leaving school I can see that they provided for an overall good comprehension of the world and culture around us

You can't have both. You said once taxpayers have to start writing cheques for the useless language that it then becomes a problem. That quite clearly implies that funding should be cut to 0. But funding cannot be cut to 0 if the language is to remain optional as we will still need teachers to teach the subject unless you seem to think that with it becoming optional that every single person in the country will choose not to do it? Do you believe that?
    Money spent teaching Irish in school is not what I'm talking about. I would like to see the see all money spent promoting the language cut by 95% of current levels.

And no obviously that doesn't include teachers wages I'm talking about foras na gaelige, tg4 and other public bodies set up to promote the language.

We're in hard times and we simply can't afford to spend money promoting a braindead language.

• Advertisement

This is a strawman argument, as the original point never said "cut to 0", it just said cut.
    (EDIT - just seen in the post above he says 95%. Don't know what figures he's basing it on)

Personally, I'd like to see it diverted: the issue isn't how much is being spent on teaching Irish, it's the fact that neither the state nor the Gaelgori (sp?) are getting value for that money. Find the enthusaistic students, spend money on teaching them.

To continue in the same vane is like throwing your seeds into a rocky field and hoping some of them fell into earth.
    I agree with you. I was showing the absurdity of that ridiculous phrase that is trotted out by the same troglodytes any time the Irish language is discussed. There were plenty of subjects I didn't like, detested in fact (Gaelainn being one of them believe it or not), but upon reflection since leaving school I can see that they provided for an overall good comprehension of the world and culture around us

You could make the same argument for any subject - with me it was Art - but the last thing this thread needs is to be dragged off on a compulsory-versus-optional school subject debate.

Yes they did - Have you actually read the post ?

Customer feedback my **** !

Not the same team? - Maybe you'll understand when you grow up....:rolleyes:

I have read it. In fact I wrote it.

Customer feedback was given. Gaeilgeoirí asked Tesco if they could put up Irish language signs, similar to other shops in the Gaeltachtaí. Tesco said okay and did it. Feedback does not have to come from "a huge majority" to be feedback. One person can give it. Saying again and again that feedback = huge majority doesn't make it true.

Maybe when you grow up, your eyes will stay stuck with the way you're constantly rolling them.

Of all the things to get angry and annoyed about, private businesses looking after their customers and misunderstanding the meanings of "feedback", "huge" and "majority" have to be one of the strangest.

Who gives a fcuk about Telco putting up Irish signs? It didn't cost the taxpayer a cent. I applaud Tesco, the more companies that follow the less pressure is placed on the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Who gives a fcuk about Telco putting up Irish signs? It didn't cost the taxpayer a cent. I applaud Tesco, the more companies that follow the less pressure is placed on the government.

BAD LANGUAGE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I never curse. I hate it and would find it hard to take anyone who does seriously.

BAD LANGUAGE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    ha you got me.

fcuk isn't a swear word it's a business...

• Advertisement

Money spent teaching Irish in school is not what I'm talking about. I would like to see the see all money spent promoting the language cut by 95% of current levels.

And no obviously that doesn't include teachers wages I'm talking about foras na gaelige, tg4 and other public bodies set up to promote the language.

We're in hard times and we simply can't afford to spend money promoting a braindead language.

But you said once a taxpayer has to foot the bill you have a problem. With a 95% cut that is still the taxpayer footing the bill. Why do you support retaining 5% funding of current levels? Why if it is such a braindead language do you support it remaining being taught in schools? Surely, such a ballygobackwards language such be consigned to the dustbin with not one red cent of taxpayers money going towards it. What possible value do you see in it?

But you said once a taxpayer has to foot the bill you have a problem. With a 95% cut that is still the taxpayer footing the bill. Why do you support retaining 5% funding of current levels? Why if it is such a braindead language do you support it remaining being taught in schools? Surely, such a ballygobackwards language such be consigned to the dustbin with not one red cent of taxpayers money going towards it. What possible value do you see in it?

Well the long term goal would be to cut the funding to nothing but obviously you can't do that straight away though I would prefer a "sharp shock" method where 95% was cut over the next five to ten years working towards 100% long term.

As for teaching it in schools I don't see any merit to the language but some people do and I'm happy for it to remain a language in schools. As long as it's optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

One Irish language programme in the sea of English language programmes on RTE?? Stop. The. Lights.

It's not a dead language, in fact it's that ****ty attitude that's killing it. There are plenty of people in Ireland who do speak Irish and they're entitled to have something catering to them on RTE rather than being completely eliminated from the picture because some people can't bear the thought of the language appearing on their televisions for a short period of time during the day. If you don't like it, turn it off. RTE shows an insurmountable amount of English language ****e and we all still have to pay for it. Change the station or suck it up.

Frankly I don't have much sympathy for anyone who continues to whinge about Irish after the leaving cert (and even then, I don't have much sympathy for leaving certs).

Advertisement