Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol station issue - volume of petrol

Options
  • 02-02-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I put 45 euro in my tank today. I had a quarter tank already and expected to be nearly full but the dial only reads three quarter full. Also price of petrol was 1.558 whereas I was thinking in terms of 1.64 or so.

If I suspect that pump is not giving out volume advertised, who do I contact? I know pump number and have receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did you calculate in terms of litres to be sure? Also fuel gauges are notoriously non-linear/inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

TheChizler wrote: »
    Did you calculate in terms of litres to be sure? Also fuel gauges are notoriously non-linear/inconsistent.

No. I didn't but fact that I'm basing it on a more expensive price per litre that should workif against my presumption. Yes I'm aware that Gage is not scientifically accurate. I just want to report it so that the relevant body can check. If I'm right you betcha I want my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Assuming that you have a 50ltr tank(Fairly standard for car) that was 1/4 full meaning you had @ 12.5ltrs in the tank.
    You then added €45 euros worth of petrol at €1.558 per ltr which works out to just under 29ltrs of fuel for a total of @41.5ltrs which would be closer to 3/4s on a fuel gauge than it would be a full tank.
    Why do you think you have been short measured?
    Petrol gauges in your car are never an accurate reflection of your actual fuel amount, but that said given rough estimates based on what you said you had, a 1/4 tank, what you bought €45 @ €1.558 and assuming a 50ltr tank what you've gotten is about right.

EDITJust to add if you think there is aproblem with the pump contact the metrology service of the NSAI http://www.nsai.ie/About-NSAI/Departments/LMS.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You should never, ever use what you paid as a measure. Litres is the only true measure. You probably actually got slightly more this morning because it would have been colder as opposed to a hot summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

ironclaw wrote: »
    You should never, ever use what you paid as a measure. Litres is the only true measure. You probably actually got slightly more this morning because it would have been colder as opposed to a hot summers day.

Thanks guys looks like I want screwed! Kinda just wanted to know what to do if I do have suspicion in future so thanks for link about nsai!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ezra_pound wrote: »
    If I'm right you betcha I want my money back!

Contact the NSAI since they probably verified the pump but they won't investigate off of 1 persons inconclusive theory, but if a few people complained they'd check the garage probably

As for your money, regardless of the outcome you won't have any chance of seeing a refund. Simply wont happen

A certain garage on the quays in dublin was fined for twice for deceiving customers and it was only €14k fine, so the chancer garages get away with murder it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Contact the NSAI since they probably verified the pump but they won't investigate off of 1 persons inconclusive theory, but if a few people complained they'd check the garage probably

As for your money, regardless of the outcome you won't have any chance of seeing a refund. Simply wont happen

A certain garage on the quays in dublin was fined for twice for deceiving customers and it was only €14k fine, so the chancer garages get away with murder it seems

Although under new management there is and always was queues for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the NSAI as they are in charge of calibration & verification of pumps.

Advertisement