Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Studio 1737 Warranty....

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

In December 2008 i got my Dell Studio 1737.
    within 12 months it had been returned twice for overheating. i have the dates here.

worried that this might happen again i got an extended warranty. i was sold the warranty on the basis that in a few years i might get a replacment laptop. the guy said this to me.

After the initial 2 returns there were another 3 returns over the past 3 years, for overheating again and usb problem. Dell changed there supoort system and i dont have any dates for these extra supports from them. would be ok to ring them and ask?

i haven't been happy with the amount of times the laptop needed servicing. its not over used and it isnt used on my lap, or on a bed.

the monitor is not intermirredly flickers and the hinges have begun to wear and crack are these covered in my warranty would you think?

this warranty is up two weeks from now and i really want to get these issues fixed. I don't plan on buying a new laptop any time soon.

any thoughts

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You really should have used your statutory rights feom the start and insisted on a rwplacement then aa refund or different replacement after the first repair failed. There is little you can do now as the laptop has lasted a reasonable time and you accepted al those repair attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 my_pie

thats fair, but my warranty should would still cover these current issues yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I had the same issue with dell, i was able to check my replacement parts dates in my dell account, you might get the dates there.
    i lodged a small claims court application stating all that went on and dell were in touch immediatley to refund me and collect the broken laptop. I got my extended warranty refunded also. However i did this when it happened again and i didnt want another repair, not when it was working fine

hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Dec 2008 - Laptop may still be covered under your statutory rights let alone the extended warranty. What have Dell said about fixing it this time?

• Advertisement

i havent rang dell yet, i wanted some info first, and the laptop isnt working 100% right now, im having intermittent screen flickers and and occasional usb drop out (connected devices randomly connect and disconnect.) the dvd drive wont relase a cd and machine can freeze when the eject button is pressed.

my_pie wrote: »
    i havent rang dell yet, i wanted some info first, and the laptop isnt working 100% right now, im having intermittent screen flickers and and occasional usb drop out (connected devices randomly connect and disconnect.) the dvd drive wont relase a cd and machine can freeze when the eject button is pressed.

It really depends how you want to go about this. Two options really;

i) phone Dell be nice explain you've had all these issues and now only two weeks to go you've more. See if they'll extend the warranty by 6 months or so - and just get it repaired. Two weeks to go is two weeks to go!

ii) 'Go legal' and tell them there have been numerous repairs and this isn't on and you want the unit replaced. Problem is you've left it a bit late to be sure this option will work. Within three years I would have said it was almost a sure thing.

Just as an aside - don't by extra servicing. Three years is the minimum you''' get out of your statutory rights. Warranty cost probably would have bought you a new laptop. After the first repair fails always insist on a replacement.

just checked my profile and i had 4 dealings with support, one every year. 2 collect and returns, 1 on site and 1 next day.

ive had at least 2 other complaints that were handled by phone support and remote login.

just checked my profile and i had 4 dealings with support, one every year. 2 collect and returns, 1 on site and 1 next day.

ive had at least 2 other complaints that were handled by phone support and remote login.

TBH if it was solved by remote login you broke it :D

It really depends how you want to go about this. Two options really;

i) phone Dell be nice explain you've had all these issues and now only two weeks to go you've more. See if they'll extend the warranty by 6 months or so - and just get it repaired. Two weeks to go is two weeks to go!

ii) 'Go legal' and tell them there have been numerous repairs and this isn't on and you want the unit replaced. Problem is you've left it a bit late to be sure this option will work. Within three years I would have said it was almost a sure thing.

Just as an aside - don't by extra servicing. Three years is the minimum you''' get out of your statutory rights. Warranty cost probably would have bought you a new laptop. After the first repair fails always insist on a replacement.

you say "go Legal" what do you mean exactly? call who?, i'm not being smart i've never dealt with statutory rights before.....

• Advertisement

TBH if it was solved by remote login you broke it :D
    those genius' told me it was the bath water that did the damage. what do they know!

you say "go Legal" what do you mean exactly? call who?, i'm not being smart i've never dealt with statutory rights before.....

Tell them you want it replaced under your statutory rights. They'll tell you you're not entitled - you then go down the Small Claims Court route (have a google)

As I say though 4 years 2 months might be pushing your luck.

Tell them you want it replaced under your statutory rights. They'll tell you you're not entitled - you then go down the Small Claims Court route (have a google)

As I say though 4 years 2 months might be pushing your luck.

would the extended warranty extend my statutory rights?

would the extended warranty extend my statutory rights?

No. They are completely separate. Although you should at least get a repair under the extended warranty.

taken from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services

it would appear that i accepted the faulty goods.

taken from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services

it would appear that i accepted the faulty goods.

Varies case by case. Speak to Dell and maybe update us?

i will, should i ring customer service or go straight to support for my current problems?

Advertisement