Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimated Gas Bill

Options
  • 30-01-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Switched to Airtricity from Bord Gais recently. Last Bord Gais bill came in last week.....€830!!! :eek:

Turns out bill has been estimated for 2 1/2 years (since we moved in basically) so I rang and explained I couldn't afford to pay. When asked if I would like to set up a payment plan I said ok but over 2 1/2 years, chap wasn't impressed

The meter hasn't been read in that time and I never recieved a slip to say I had missed the meter reading man. Is it mine or bord gais responsibility to ensure the meter is read?

Was told a manager would ring me on Monday and still no call back. Pretty pissed :mad: Just thought Id post to leave off shteam!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

watermark wrote: »
    Switched to Airtricity from Bord Gais recently. Last Bord Gais bill came in last week.....€830!!! :eek:

Turns out bill has been estimated for 2 1/2 years (since we moved in basically) so I rang and explained I couldn't afford to pay. When asked if I would like to set up a payment plan I said ok but over 2 1/2 years, chap wasn't impressed

The meter hasn't been read in that time and I never recieved a slip to say I had missed the meter reading man. Is it mine or bord gais responsibility to ensure the meter is read?

Was told a manager would ring me on Monday and still no call back. Pretty pissed :mad: Just thought Id post to leave off shteam!
    You really should have been taking responsibility for your own affairs over the last two years! it is not the responsibility of the gas company to do anything except provide service which they did and then bill you which they did to the best of their ability.

You should have been reading the meter yourself and sending that information to them to update your account.

Do you live in an apartment complex or somewhere that the meter is not readily accessible?

How did bord gais get your final reading? did they read the meter or did you have to give a reading to your new supplier and they passed that on to bord gais?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

and according to their website that service includes the meter being read 4 times a year, and if they cant get it (mine's in back garden) to drop a card in letterbox saying they missed me and to call in a reading.

nobody ever called to the door though, or rang to ask for a reading. just thought that in 2 1/2 years somebody would have asked for a reading. estimated for 2 1/2 years! surely someone in bord gais would have said we better get on to this fella.

yep, i switched recently as i couldn't to get cheaper rates (irony ha) and new supplier took reading. and as for taking responsibility not once have I ever thought of reading my gas meter!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

From Bord Gais's website

"Bord Gáis Network meter readers call to read your meter four times a year. The other 2 times your bill is estimated. Where Bord Gáis Networks are unable to access the meter, they will estimate the reading based on your previous usage."

seems to me it was bord gais's responsibility to inform the OP that they were unable to read his meter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its the customers responsibility to provide reads in the absence BG taking reads, end of

I'm not disagreeing but i never knew it needed to be read in the first place. If the bill was for a lot less I wouldnt give 2 fecks but my mortgage is €300 less per month. Simply can't afford it.

Cheers for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Forgive me if I'm wrong here (I'm not a Bord Gais customer), but wouldn't an estimated bill have "estimated" somewhere on it? It is the consumers' responsibility to review their bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dudara wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong here (I'm not a Bord Gais customer), but wouldn't an estimated bill have "estimated" somewhere on it? It is the consumers' responsibility to review their bills.

Correct, the bill shows the previous reading and the most recent reading and you're obviously billed for the difference. There is an 'E' beside either or both numbers if they are estimates.

Bord Gais has an iPhone app and a website where you can enter a customer reading so there really is no excuse for allowing that (OP's) situation to arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

Should the customer have checked the bill and realise it was an estimate? Sure.
    But that doesn't forgive the fact that they had to read the meter 4 times per year and inform you if they were not able to.
    In addition to that, they would for sure be charging you at today's rate for the gas used 2 and a half years ago, and I'm sure it has changed. So make sure they do it properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

its the customers responsibility to provide reads in the absence BG taking reads, end of

It seems to be happening more and more that this estimates go on for so long. If your receiving a bill and paying it, why would you not check it right. Doesn't matter if its gas or electric you can submit readings before and after billing dates. As already said their is apps to submit readings as well as online, phone or text message so their isnt really an excuse.

unfortunately I never attended the "how to read your gas bill" course in the local college :p

honestly, iv always just checked my bill amount. iv often gotten meter reading slips for the electricity but never for the gas. and like i said its not something i would think of.

as other posters have said they are supposed to call and read the meter 4 times a year. i never had anybody call to my door or have a "we missed you" slip on the hall floor.

and I'm not making excuses, I am telling you the reason I never called in a meter reading is because I was unaware I had to due to the fact that Bord Gais never came out or told me to ring it in.

All just speculation and opinion then as to where responsibility lies? also not happy that I was due to get a call back on Monday and didnt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It's up to 4 times a year iirc

Davy wrote: »
    It's up to 4 times a year iirc

bord gais read my meter 0 times in 2 1/2 years though, then land me with a bill of €830 and expect me to just hand it over like I have the few bob under the matress

bord gais read my meter 0 times in 2 1/2 years though, then land me with a bill of €830 and expect me to just hand it over like I have the few bob under the matress

Ye well that's not right either. You should be given time to pay it off over a number of bills. You could ask for a prepayment meter if that suited you better.

Least you won't make the mistake it future. Set a reminder in your phone if need be for every 2 months 2 days before your due bill date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Issue is with the consumer IMO.
    With gas prices seemingly always on the increase these days whenever a new increase is about to take effect it is a good idea make sure that you call in the lastest meter reading to be sure that you maximise the lower rates.
    In this case the OP is paying the current (higher) rate for gas that he used a long time ago (which cost less).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

serarra wrote: »
    Should the customer have checked the bill and realise it was an estimate? Sure.
    But that doesn't forgive the fact that they had to read the meter 4 times per year and inform you if they were not able to.
    In addition to that, they would for sure be charging you at today's rate for the gas used 2 and a half years ago, and I'm sure it has changed. So make sure they do it properly.

they are under no obligation to charge it at the older rate, again its the customers responsibility, and its actually bord gais networks not airtricity who take the readings

unfortunately I never attended the "how to read your gas bill" course in the local college :p

if fairness, they aint easy

Advertisement