Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Username and Password for Wordpress?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Here's what I did.

Installed VMWare
    Installed Ubuntu 12.04
    Installed LAMP
    Installed Wordpress
    Created a Wordpress site

Now, I would like to change my theme but it asks me for Hostname, FTP Username and Password. I don't know what to type there.

Could anyone help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Put in the ip address of your server, and valid credentials with access to wherever you installed wordpress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

srsly78 wrote: »
    Put in the ip address of your server, and valid credentials with access to wherever you installed wordpress.

It's installed on a virtual machine on my laptop. So where can I find the IP Address of the server?

ifconfig from console on your vm

OR

ipconfig from cmd prompt on windows host

OR

something else if you aren't hosting on windows

OR

open up properties of your vm and inspect it (depends on what vm software you are using)

ifconfig

Yes but am I looking for my IP or a server IP?

The vm will only report it's own ip.

If you run ipconfig on your host you will see ips for all network adapters, one of these will be the virtual one.

You haven't even specified what OS is running. I assume it's a linux VM... If so read this -> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/bash-shell-command-to-find-get-ip-address/

• Advertisement

If you run ipconfig on your host you will see ips for all network adapters, one of these will be the virtual one.

You haven't even specified what OS is running. I assume it's a linux VM... If so read this -> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/bash-shell-command-to-find-get-ip-address/

is it any of these?

oiubly.png

Also what do I enter for FTP Username and Password?

Let me start again.

I have Windows 8 on my laptop
    I installed VMWare on my laptop
    Then I installed Ubuntu 12.04 using VMware
    Then I installed LAMP followed by Wordpress
    Now, I'd like to change a theme in wordpress but it asks me for a hostname, ftp username and password.

I know how to check what IP a computer has but I dont know which one to use for the host, ftp etc.

The virtual machine is NAT so it doesnt have the same IP address as my laptop does.

Thank you.

You have multiple virtual adapters, so the screenshot is ambiguous.

Just log into the vm and follow the instructions above. You will have to learn how to do basic stuff on linux.

You have multiple virtual adapters, so the screenshot is ambiguous.

Just log into the vm and follow the instructions above. You will have to learn how to do basic stuff on linux.

Problem is solved. I bypassed the FTP by editing a .php file.

I know how to use basic Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Wordpress asks for login details when it thinks it doesn't have write permissions to the wp-content folder.

If you are on a VM on a test machine (and are not sure of the user that Apache is running as - 'www-data'?) then you can make all files in wp-content world writable. ("chown -R o+w wp-content").

DO NOT DO THIS ON A SHARED HOST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Stanlex wrote: »
    What file did you change?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

I know how to use basic Linux.

"If you edit a Wordpress core file you're goanna have a baaadddd tiiiiime. 'nkay?"

fcrossen wrote: »
    Wordpress asks for login details when it thinks it doesn't have write permissions to the wp-content folder.

If you are on a VM on a test machine (and are not sure of the user that Apache is running as - 'www-data'?) then you can make all files in wp-content world writable. ("chown -R o+w wp-content").

DO NOT DO THIS ON A SHARED HOST.

Exactly how I solved my problem. Thank you!

daymobrew wrote: »
    What file did you change?

Post #11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Post #11
    That was a recursive chown - no editing of a php file. :confused:

daymobrew wrote: »
    That was a recursive chown - no editing of a php file. :confused:

I changed the permissions of the folders in wp-content. After I done that, i wasn't asked for a Hostname, FTP Username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm pretty sure I did this before by putting in "localhost" instead of the IP and it worked grand.

Advertisement