Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for engagements rings

• 15-02-2006 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

So, I need to get one of these but I really don't know much about them at all. All I know is that I want a modern one and not a cheesy massive rock like the traditional ones seem to have (wearing one would make me feel like Bree Van der Kamp - not good:)). Anyone know of any good sites that do modern rings? (Irish would be best but foreign ones for ideas would be welcome too!) Are there any major no-nos or can anything pass for an engagement ring once it's on the relevant finger? Does it matter what sort of stone if any you use? (Personally, I think blue and white ones look nicest...)

Any other tips?

Yours cluelessly... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

I never thought you'd ask!!!

YES!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

You're best bet is to go looking around & get an idea of what you like, when I was picking out mine I always that that I'd go for a solitar but when I tried them on I hated it. Ended up getting it made in the end cause I fell in love with a ring that i saw on holidays in the states but we weren't going to spend that kind of money on a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Well, first of all....congradulations on the engagement simu!!... :D

There are soooo many engagement rings around you will be boggled looking at them!!! Maybe have a look around and try a few on to see what style you would prefer???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, I went to this store yesterday and they have some nice stuff and they also make custom rings which is pretty cool. I just want to get more ideas before I pick something because I should be wearing this for an awfully long time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you are engaged, jaysus, take a break from all these shocking announcements! :)

• Advertisement

Next week: my secret past as a man!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pff I've seen the state of your room, no shock :v:

next week: the my baby is one year old thread. I think he is a goth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

simu wrote:
    Yeah, I went to this store yesterday and they have some nice stuff and they also make custom rings which is pretty cool. I just want to get more ideas before I pick something because I should be wearing this for an awfully long time!

Yeah looks pretty good, the most important things to look out for are colour, carot & clarity of the diamond, if its a good place all of their diamonds will be laser signature in the diamond. don't be fooled by the lights in the room that they'll bring you into, you also need to make sure that you are getting a certified diamond aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

congratulations!
    as for rings, maybe you can get idea's from Tifanny's!: (I thought this was pretty funky) http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.aspx?c_id=WEB1&c_it=66X&start_id=16&CategoryId=114&category=&
    or I found this site:
    http://www.myengagementrings.com/diamond.htm
    here's something more modern?
    http://www.newyorkmetro.com/shopping/guides/weddings/rings/features/fall2005/gallery_rings/2.htm

wow, soo many to choose from, Irene will do a good job though, a friend of mine used to work for her and they made some truely amazing stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Yeah its very hard to get something original. I would say you would be better off designing your own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Congrats!!;)

Appleby's in Dublin really is the Don Juan when it comes to jewellery and has one of the very few gemologists in the country. Hope you find something suitably bling and gorg, and let us know how you get on!!!!!

http://www.buy4now.ie/appleby/content.aspx?loc=AB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Wait till Gordon hears about this... :eek:

/me goes looking for bulk-buy deals on ice cream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

simu wrote:
    Anyone know of any good sites that do modern rings? (Irish would be best but foreign ones for ideas would be welcome too!)
    I know a couple that had their rings designed here. The rings were modern and the couple was pleased.

Do a new search at the Irish Craft Council website
    . They have an extensive list of contemporary artists and gold/silversmiths that work with precious and semi-precious materials.

ps..congrats! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Congrats! Btw, why not go with a Claddagh ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Yay! Congratulations!!
    I am actually a HUGE fan of titanium rings with square cut solitares atm. If only I had the money (or excuse) to by myself one! But an engagement ring can be anything you want. My Ma has a sapphire for hers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would recomend that you go around as many jewlers as possible, do not let him buy it for you without you seeing it, good as his taste may be (after all he picked you) you will feel that you are missing something. There are some excellent shops that can make your own bespoke ring (there is one on South Anne St as far as I know). Congratulations on your engagement - when is the big day?

CathyMoran wrote:
    Congratulations on your engagement - when is the big day?

Sometime in the future!

Yeah, we ordered a custom ring from a designer in Cork. Hope it turns out nice! Thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Didnt read all the thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before but why not check out here

If you say your a Civil Servant you get either 10% or 20% off, sorry cant remember which!!

And congrats;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

biko wrote:
    Congrats! Btw, why not go with a Claddagh ring?

Thanks for burning my retinas with what is quite possibly the ugliest thing known to mankind.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Ooh, Claddagh rings. I never would have thought of those. That's quite a cute idea! Maybe not that specific one but they had some other designs on that site that were a tad less scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

simu wrote:
    So, I need to get one of these but I really don't know much about them at all. All I know is that I want a modern one and not a cheesy massive rock like the traditional ones seem to have (wearing one would make me feel like Bree Van der Kamp - not good:)). Anyone know of any good sites that do modern rings? (Irish would be best but foreign ones for ideas would be welcome too!) Are there any major no-nos or can anything pass for an engagement ring once it's on the relevant finger? Does it matter what sort of stone if any you use? (Personally, I think blue and white ones look nicest...)

Any other tips?

Yours cluelessly... :)

Hi well done
    A friend of mine makes them i got 1 off him for 1400 euro and its worth 3000+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Congrats on the engagement :) wish you many happy years. We got our engagement and wedding rings at Des Byrne Jewellers, they are online here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

This is gorgeous. It's got a hint of Irish design to it but is still a classic style as well.

Post pics when you get yours!

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

hey simu, congrats! just a quick question, my friends recently got engaged...any idea for a pressie for them.....?

I have no idea really... something nice for their house???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

koneko wrote:
    Thanks for burning my retinas with what is quite possibly the ugliest thing known to mankind.

:(

LOL :D So true, undoubtedly some of the most minging pieces of tat I've ever seen. I'd stay well clear of all things Claddagh to be honest.

simu wrote:
    I have no idea really... something nice for their house???
    *notes*

*sends simu rare teabag holder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

If Claddagh Rings interest you have a look here. there is a decent selesction depending on your budget and taste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement