Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon

Options
  • 31-01-2004 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I got this (pc version) during the week. I like it a lot, really reminds me of the point and click adventure games I used to love (except without the ... er... pointing and clicking, since it uses a keyboard-only control scheme). The graphics are gorgeous, the voice acting is great, and the puzzles are engaging. I think it certainly was worth the 18 pounds sterling it cost at play.com.
    I'm about 8 hours into it, with no sign of an end in sight yet. The controls are good, taking about a minute to get used to. Arrow keys move your character around the environment, and WASD are action keys, which do different things depending on the current scenario. Controls are fully reconfigurable, but I find the defaults just fine. It is also possible to use a gamepad.
    I hear that the PS2 and Xbox versions of the game suffer a bit from loading times between locations, but there's none of that on the PC version - which is understandable, since it requires about 2GB of disk space.
    According to the box, the minimum requirements for the PC version are as follows:
    P3 750 or equivalent
    128MB RAM
    8x CD-Rom (I wish they'd release more games on dvd, multiple CDs are a pain)
    DirectX 8.1
    Windows 98/2000/XP
    Sound card
    GeForce 2 64MB or equivalent
    2GB hard disk space

Recommended specs are the same except for the following:
    P3 1.2GHz or equivalent
    5.1 soundcard
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 or equivalent

I've no idea how well it runs on the minimum or recommended specs, but it runs fine on my xp2800/ti4200 system. It also runs alright on my 1.7ghz laptop with utterly **** graphics card - but only in 640x480.

If you like graphic adventure games, buy this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I've ordered it, it should arrive soon, it's good to hear that it's not crap. I've actually started to play the first one again out of excitement. Did it retain the humour of the first 2 games or what? Do you get to go back to lochmarne?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah there's a good few in-jokes and references to the first two games. The main menu of the game actually includes a brief overview of what happened in the first two games for those who haven't played them.

re lochmarne: Not so far anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hey, I'm also playing it. I agree - the control systems are grand, even if they seem odd at first. Occasionally, the camera angles are a bit off putting. I'm only about 3hrs into it though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

How does it compare to the previous two games. I loved the Last game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its very similar, besides the 2D/3D thing. The same kind of exotic locations and villains. Highly enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I got it (on xbox) but brought it back because I found the puzzles too simplistic. The story also wasn't very exciting. I didn't finish it but judging by what was going on in the story I got pretty far into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I got this on PC a while ago, but just havent had the time to play it, im only about an hour or two into it.

So far, its been savage (Ive always like Broken Sword anyway) but this is really good. The graphics are excellent, except the characters look a bit out of place in the realistic scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

yah, I got the demo of this game, It looks quite amazing, the controls aren't great though. It's 39.99 in carlow, 25 on play.com.

It's nothing like the other games. You don't have to use the mouse at all.

I heard it gets quite repeative though. There's alot of box puzzles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

OMFGZ MUNCH GET WITH THE TIMES TBH

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=125484

Fun game, but since playing Prince of Persia, I realize how weak the puzzles in BS3 actually were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Well I finally played it a while ago and it was rubbish. I mean the
    last puzzle in the game is a box puzzle
    . Nuts to that. Nice story but for a puzzle game it has exactly 0 decent puzzles.

• Advertisement

I've just been playing for about an hour and I'm well impressed. The graphics are pretty damn sweet, as is the sound and music. The puzzles aren't too challenging but as long as the story doesn't get crap I'll keep playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

How the hell are ya supposed to get out the window of the airplane???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    How the hell are ya supposed to get out the window of the airplane???

give up now and save yourself the trouble :)

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    give up now and save yourself the trouble :)

hehe, i think what he meant to say was-use the fire extinguisher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Well personally I thought that first problem was probably the hardest in the game :)

Advertisement