Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar advice..and where to buy..

Options
  • 22-12-2004 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking at getting a decent guitar. I have been using a Les Paul copy and Laney 30W amp for years, never really bothered putting too much money into them. I got the guitar about 10 years ago, the make is Santana, and no, I've never heard of them either. I really like Gibson, so it is gonna be either a Les Paul or SG. However if something else came up I would definitely take a look. I play varying kinds of Heavy Metal, from full on Death and Black Metal through to classics like Thin Lizzy and Black Sabbath. Only problem with a Les Paul/SG is the lack of any decent tremolo arms. Anyway, I don't know anything about SG Customs, Specials, Classics, etc, same with Les Pauls, from a materials or pickup point of view, so can someone advise. Also I neeed a decent 50 or 100 watt amp. I was always pretty partial to the Marshall's but people have told me that they are not making them like they used to.
    Anyway, that should be enough to be getting on with. All advice/help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

First port of call is the buy and sell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Davkie

If you want to buy new I have gotten a far bit of stuff from these guys www.musicstore.de
    They ship from Germany but they have a flat rate of 13euro. You will save at least 100euro on any midrange guitar you get from them and there service is excellent.

There is also www.thomann.de but the site isn't as user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I just ordered a Takamine EG530SC from www.music123.com The site is brilliant,their prices are the best of anywhere,their service is superb and the delivery is great.i ordered the guitar with 2 stands on a friday evening at 4 and they were in ireland monday morning at 6am,3 days to come from New Jersey.The only thing is cause you are bringing it in from America to Ireland u will have to pay customs on it but its worth it,i saved around €200 on the guitar overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

That music123 looks very good. What customs charge applies, though. Is it just a straight percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doctorJ knows all about the tax side, he was advising me when i bought my guitar

as far as i can remember you pay 21% tax and 2.5 guitar tax

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cremo wrote:
    doctorJ knows all about the tax side, he was advising me when i bought my guitar

as far as i can remember you pay 21% tax and 2.5 guitar tax

Guitar Tax??? Damn hippies...

:p

This looks nice.

1598EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is1ldur wrote:
    This looks nice.

1598EUR
    is that a les paul classic?

if it is then they are cheaper than that here
    this is where i got mine, great guitar

Jeez, you are right. 1429EUR over there. Excellent. What is the neck like. Think I'll take a trip into town tomorrow to see what I like. What setup do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 seank

I know it's a bit off thread but just saw this on www.musicstore.de ... any wonder it's nearly half price!!

GITARRE_Fender_FlowerStrat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

PRS custom 24. This seems perfect and is pre '95 so it will only appreciate in value. Thats something to keep in mind also. Brilliant guitar with vibrato. And I'm presuming that you'll like the colour because of your musical interests!

Costs €1,549 with shipping and, in my opinion, is lightyears ahead of the Gibson L.P. classics. Having said that, they are quite different guitars.

Picture here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm sure the others were just waiting for me to say it, but I'd have to say you should check out the BC Rich USA Handmade guitars.

Like this Mockingbird.
    I doubt you would ever find a sweeter guitar.

Have a look at the USA Handmade Guitars, pure sweetness, and I hope to own one myself one day soon.

Yes, you could find sweeter guitars.

They are damn fine instruments though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

USA made BC Riches are very high quality. As good as the Gibsons really from a metal point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ok, so maybe it is within the realm of possibility to find a sweeter guitar, but damn fine instruments as you say! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think HusseinSarhan has the right idea here :D

prs91cu24-bk.jpg

€1549 today and if you don't like it, sell it for €2500 tomorrow

Doctor J wrote:
    €1549 today and if you don't like it, sell it for €2500 tomorrow

Exactly, or sell it anyway for a 1000 euro profit and buy another off chris :cool:

The only problem with doing that is finding someone to buy it :s

feylya wrote:
    The only problem with doing that is finding someone to buy it :s

Thats true. Personally I wouldn't do it. Not really that fair is it, but then again... :)

• Advertisement

Meh. Good business sense as far as I'm concerned. If you can get away with it, and it's perfectly legal, then why the hell not?!

Oh yeah, if you can sell it, cool. I just wouldn't like to have €1500 tied up in a guitar if I didn't have a buyer for it.

feylya wrote:
    Oh yeah, if you can sell it, cool. I just wouldn't like to have €1500 tied up in a guitar if I didn't have a buyer for it.

:eek:

Well it's hardly a tragedy if you can't find a buyer for a guitar like that... :)

Meh. I just don't like PRSes :o

Over priced and over rated. That said, I've never played one. Sure they look nice but so do Brian Moores and Tom Andersons.

feylya wrote:
    Over priced and over rated. That said, I've never played one.

:D Ha ha ha, thats the best!!

I know. I come out with some good ones. The way I figure it, you're just paying for a name. Given the choice between a PRS or a custom shop guitar for the same price, can you guess where I'm gonna go?

They're far more overpriced than they are overrated. They're lovely guitars but impractically expensive.

Paying for a name...

• Advertisement

New, yes. But only in Europe really. Whatever the reason for this, it makes them unaffordable to most. I seriously doubt its shipping and handling costs! There is a very nice Mc Carty Soapbar in musician inc. at the moment but because they are charged a high price for the guitar itself, it is selling at a massive price of something like 2750 euro! Thats WAY too expensive, you can buy the same guitar new in the states for literally half thet price. They are just overpriced in europe.

Advertisement