Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If i get caught with no licence

• 11-03-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey , basicly i got a job offer which i badly need ,im 16 and its after school hours and its very good money. our family are badly stuck for money and could really do with the extra cash. i would have no way of getting there and im not 17 for 3 months so cant apply for a licence yet. i have my own car. i live in the countryside... there is tax and NCT on the car and the previous owner left the old insurance disc in the window which says theres another 6months insurance (policy is cancelled) i would have everything on the window.
    i know its stupid but we really need it.its a family car and im not a mad driver so wouldnt act the clown.
    what would happen if i get caught?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Hey , basicly i got a job offer which i badly need ,im 16 and its after school hours and its very good money. our family are badly stuck for money and could really do with the extra cash. i would have no way of getting there and im not 17 for 3 months so cant apply for a licence yet. i have my own car. i live in the countryside... there is tax and NCT on the car and the previous owner left the old insurance disc in the window which says theres another 6months insurance (policy is cancelled) i would have everything on the window.
    i know its stupid but we really need it.its a family car and im not a mad driver so wouldnt act the clown.
    what would happen if i get caught?

You would be summonsed to court, convicted of having no licence and no insurance, banned from driving and be required to pay a large fine.

The ban would come into effect if you ever were to apply for a permit in Ireland. The conviction would prohibit you in the future from traveling to certain countries and pursuing certain careers, as far as I know.

If you're that stuck for money, sell the car that you would otherwise have parked at work all day.

Better still, buy a bicycle and get to work legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It wouldn't be driving with no licence id be worried about

Driving with no insurance is a complete no go area. If you hit someone (and you're quite inexperienced) then not only are you screwed but they will also be too

You'll be looking at disqualification, a fine and prison could also be a possibility depending on circumstances

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

Don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Off the road 2 years straight away and eventually when you do get back on the road it would cost a fortune in insurance because you are still very young and had a driving conviction.
    Its only 3 months to wait and then you are legally able to drive.
    Is there no way you can get a lift to work by a neighbour or even someone who might be passing your house going towards your place of work. Maybe a bike might have to do ya for the 3 months
    But definatley Don't drive with no license, its just to much of a gamble to take and seeing as your a young lad it could play a big role in life by getting caught and a court appearance, heavy fine and off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

As far as I know, in Ireland if you're caught driving someone elses car without insurance, then the owner gets charged with having no insurance also. So potentially your family member to whom the car is registered could also be banned. I have heard of this happen in Ireland.

If anyone denies that they gave you permission to drive the car, you will additionally be charged with theft of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

You would get stopped by the first Garda to see you. One factor in this is that you won't look like you're 30. Your family will not benifit from you getting a conviction. If it's too far for a push bike, you could legally ride a moped.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭da6xsi

made this mistake at your age many years ago and trust me its not worth it

It wont stop you going abroad unless you kill someone road traffic offences will never stop ya leaving the country dont worry

but the fine will be large the ban will be 2 years and the lack of a car from 17-19 will drive you mad

organize another way do not do it trust me its the biggest regret i have was thinking id be grand i live out country aswell so i know your state of mind

and when you do go back on road insurance companies will offer you lube just before the quoute you get!

@19 with an endorsment on a 1l corsa your talkin 4k plus

Dont do it sell the car get a moped and in 3 months you can get another car and youll be much happier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Massive trouble and no way worth it. Please wait the three months. The police will treat a fellow driving on a 1st provisional differently from a fellow driving with no license at all.

Advertisement