Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on a 2nd Learners Permit?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi, I need to get driving, wasted a fortune 2-3 years ago on lessons and tests before I gave up but now I really need to start driving, is there any information anywhere else besides the Rules of the Road website? A lot of the pages are broken on it.

Whats the penalty for driving alone without a learners permit these days? It should say it on this page but as usual with any Irish official website the link is broken:

http://www.rotr.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/driving-licences-and-vehicle-categories/index.html

Is there any of those courses available like the ones in England where you do an intensive week with a test at the end of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Couple of follow up questions:

1. My 1st permit expired a year ago, do I need to do the NCT again.

2. I did loads of tests and lessons, a couple of grands worth of lessons at least, do I need to do the 15 mandated ones that the new law brought in lately or whatever that rule change was?

Any help appreciated thanks...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Reactor wrote: »
    Couple of follow up questions:

1. My 1st permit expired a year ago, do I need to do the NCT again.

2. I did loads of tests and lessons, a couple of grands worth of lessons at least, do I need to do the 15 mandated ones that the new law brought in lately or whatever that rule change was?

Any help appreciated thanks...

The NCT has nothing to do with your Learner Permit. It is completely separate. If your cars NCT is expired. You will need to get it tested.

Of you had your first permit before the new regulations came in, then you do not need to sit the mandatory 12 lessons.

The fine is up to 1000euro and a court appearance as far as I recall. But this may have changed of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

If you got your licence before the changes then no need for edts.

You don't need to redo the theory test I think. You must renew your permit in a motor tax office.

Driving on your own is viewed by many as never okay on a learner permit. A lot will mention a €1000 fine. Truth being told, the average fine is €150. No penalty points (yet but soon will be the case!). Half of learners drive alone. Up to you to decide what you'll do.

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1211/breaking7.html

Edit: Renew before the summer to avoid the new penalty point system!

Oh sorry I meant theory test instead of NCT. So even though I got the first permit a few years ago and let it lapse for the last couple of years I can still get away without the mandatory tests if I renew rigth now?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Oh sorry I meant theory test instead of NCT. So even though I got the first permit a few years ago and let it lapse for the last couple of years I can still get away without the mandatory tests if I renew rigth now?
    Only if your last learner permit isn't out of date by 5 years or more. If its a couple of years you're ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Hi, I need to get driving, wasted a fortune 2-3 years ago on lessons and tests before I gave up but now I really need to start driving, is there any information anywhere else besides the Rules of the Road website? A lot of the pages are broken on it.

Whats the penalty for driving alone without a learners permit these days? It should say it on this page but as usual with any Irish official website the link is broken:

http://www.rotr.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/driving-licences-and-vehicle-categories/index.html

Is there any of those courses available like the ones in England where you do an intensive week with a test at the end of it?

You should not need to do the 12 mandatory EDT lessons.
    Many driving school do offer intensive courses. Often with a discount compared to lessons spread out over a longer time.
    PS. That link works for me. Might be a problem with your browser or connection?

Thanks everybody.

Advertisement