Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has right of way when Lights are Out of Order

• 11-03-2013 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm practising my driving at the moment. It was suggested to do ballphehane. Basically the traffic lights were out of order. How do you know who has right of way in this scenario? My mum was in the car and basically was making it up (I never seemed to have right of way in her eyes). I approached this junction multiple times during my practice from different points, never did my mum think I had right of way and let prefect opportunities slip away annoyingly. I just sorta slowly nudged out and waited till it was clear or there was no cars moving, all of whom I presume were confused too.

Here's the junction.
    2z4D2TB.jpg
    Edit.. Mixed up the junction. Here's the actual one
    8d54a8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A link to the google maps junction may be better than a pic.

For a junction with roads of equal importance:
    If you are at a junction where the roads are of equal importance, the traffic on your right has right of way. You must let that traffic pass before moving on. It is important to understand that the right of way is not an absolute right. You must proceed with caution while showing regard for other users of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You treat it as any other cross roads - you yield to traffic coming from your right. Imagine it as four stop signs (remember there is a stop line) and whoever gets there first, goes first. Otherwise it is the normal rules of yielding to people.

In the case of non-functioning traffic lights, it would be important to come to a complete stop because (a) it might only be your traffic light that isn't working and other traffic may have a green light and (b) there are always people who do imprudent things.

PS, that's not Ballyphehane, that's Togher. :) EDIT: Only the first pic had loaded. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

I'm on my phone unfortunately.
    Try 70 Pearse Rd, Cork, County Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Victor wrote: »
    You treat it as any other cross roads - you yield to traffic coming from your right. Imagine it as four stop signs (remember there is a stop line) and whoever gets there first, goes first. Otherwise it is the normal rules of yielding to people.

In the case of non-functioning traffic lights, it would be important to come to a complete stop because (a) it might only be your traffic light that isn't working and other traffic may have a green light and (b) there are always people who do imprudent things.

PS, that's not Ballyphehane, that's Togher. :)
    Thanks for your response. I was doing tougher/ballphehane/deer park. The roads can get ridiculously narrow. Horrible driving.

God damnit it was 50/50 on was it ballphehane or togher :o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Just remember traffic on the right always have right of way.Odds are you will defo be brought here I was last week:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And remember as well, traffic coming from your right, e.g. When you're going left west to north on one of those tiny slip road triangle things in the first picture, traffic opposite you turning right east to north counts as traffic coming from your right, this applies even when the lights are working!

Imagine them as tiny slip roads on to a main road that are completely independent from the main junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just remember traffic on the right always have right of way.
    Yes, but only with roads with equal levels of priority.

Typically, where traffic is approaching a T-junction, the traffic on the 'leg' of the T has to yield to all traffic on the 'top' of the T. however on a small percentage of T-junctions, the leg has priority over one of the other arms.

Advertisement