Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandolins

Options
  • 22-12-2004 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about getting a mandolin. I want one with a pickup. I haven't looked in town yet but looking at the chris's guitars site I found this for $250. Now I don't know how much is a good price for a mandolin (but this site normally is pretty good for prices) or even what to look for in one. Can anyone help? Is it worth buying in Ireland at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There's a traditional music instrument shop on Capel Street and another one on Little Stephen Street (down from Break For The Border) who sell mondolins but I wouldn't think they'd have ones with pickups :confused:

But for a guideline price they might be the place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Definatly check the intonation of the mandolin. They are such a pain in the ass to tune anyway, and to have one that sounds messed up on certain strings will annoy you forever. Also, you'd want quite a low action, as the strings will have lots of tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

thanks, I plan on doing a bit of research into this as I won't be able to buy for a little while, getting a new bass amp first

I'm pretty sure perfect pitch do them too,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Mate, I have the Crafter Mandolin, and I think their great. See below:

http://www.guitarsuperstore.com/product.asp?IntID=668&strManufacturer=Crafter%20M70E%20Electro-Acoustic%20Mandolin

They have a Guitar shaped body (in fact, everything about them mimics a Guitar e.g. the Bridge, the Machine heads etc), a Pickup, they sound good, and cost roughly 250 euro. You can get them in Perfect Pitch, which is where I got mine.

It is my first and only Mandolin, so I don't really have anything to compare it too, but I think the sound is absolutely fine. I've even had it plugged in at a couple of gigs, which I really shouldn't have done, because I'm awful on it. But it makes a nice occasional variance from the Guitar.

There is a site called www.mandolincafe.com (I think that is the URL anyway), and I started a thread on it before to ask was this particular Mandolin sacralige, because of it's adoption of a Guitar design, rather than the more traditional standard Mandolin design. I was expecting to get slaughtered, but the feedback was really positive. Most of these Mando-heads replied saying that they actually thought it was a really good Mandolin for the price, and that the design didn't bother them. The only negative comment I received, and it wasn't even that negative, was some guy who said "it's a decent Mandolin, but I wouldn't take it to a Bluegrass festival".

Personally, not only was the Guitar design not a minus factor for me, it was probably the deciding factor in my choice. I thought it was asthetically fantastic looking, and very amusing. I still find it hilarious when a mate sees me playing it and assumes it is just a dwarfish Guitar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement