Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Married to a non eu citizen and entering Ireland

Options
  • 12-10-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am getting married in the new year to my fiance who is a Mexican citizen. We will get married in Mexico. I am an Irish citizen.

I know that when we come to Ireland after getting married, we have to go to the GNIB and register and look for a visa 4 for my wife.

My questions are: What documents will they need? Passport, marriage certificate.

Also, when coming through airport security will the marriage cert be enough to grant her time here so we can register etc.
    and will she need a return ticket or will a one way ticket be ok, it would be great if she didn't need a return ticket, as if all goes well she won't need it.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

My brother married a non EU citizen this year in January and it took until July to get all the paperwork sorted.

I wouldn't even think of bringing your new wife into the country until the Visa is arranged.

His initial application was rejected for various reasons.

He ended using the services of a man who helps with visa applications to do the appeal.

He had to provide the following and this is what I can remember there may have been more:

*Proof of relationship, how they met, conducted relationship between two countries.
    *Proof of travel documents to show that he traveled to her country and that the relationship wasn't just conducted over the internet.
    *Letter from my parents stating that the approved of the relationship
    *Marriage certificate
    *Copies of passports.
    *6 months payslips (You will have had to earned a specific amount in the last two years to show you can support your wife while she is in the country)
    *6 months bank statements
    *Letter from his employer stating that he was in full time employment and how long he had been working with the company
    *Adding his wife onto his health insurance policy to prove she wouldn't be seeking medical treatment on the state
    *Proof of his family traveling for the wedding (flight tickets and hotel receipts)
    *List of family and friends that traveled for the wedding and where they traveled from
    *Photos off the wedding and photos from different stages of their relationship.

That is just what I can remember from the top off my head.

Also the processing times for spousal visa's where a non EU citizen is marrying an Irish citizen is currently 6 months. That is without having to go through an appeals process.

Since the start of this week they are currently processing visa applications that they received the week starting 17/04/2015.

I can't post links to the website that will help you as I am a new member but if you google "visa processing times ireland" you will get the timelines and if you have a look at the site you will get information and different things you need for your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dairina1991

Breezer25 wrote: »
    My brother married a non EU citizen this year in January and it took until July to get all the paperwork sorted.

I wouldn't even think of bringing your new wife into the country until the Visa is arranged.

His initial application was rejected for various reasons.

He ended using the services of a man who helps with visa applications to do the appeal.

He had to provide the following and this is what I can remember there may have been more:

*Proof of relationship, how they met, conducted relationship between two countries.
    *Proof of travel documents to show that he traveled to her country and that the relationship wasn't just conducted over the internet.
    *Letter from my parents stating that the approved of the relationship
    *Marriage certificate
    *Copies of passports.
    *6 months payslips (You will have had to earned a specific amount in the last two years to show you can support your wife while she is in the country)
    *6 months bank statements
    *Letter from his employer stating that he was in full time employment and how long he had been working with the company
    *Adding his wife onto his health insurance policy to prove she wouldn't be seeking medical treatment on the state
    *Proof of his family traveling for the wedding (flight tickets and hotel receipts)
    *List of family and friends that traveled for the wedding and where they traveled from
    *Photos off the wedding and photos from different stages of their relationship.

That is just what I can remember from the top off my head.

Also the processing times for spousal visa's where a non EU citizen is marrying an Irish citizen is currently 6 months. That is without having to go through an appeals process.

Since the start of this week they are currently processing visa applications that they received the week starting 17/04/2015.

I can't post links to the website that will help you as I am a new member but if you google "visa processing times ireland" you will get the timelines and if you have a look at the site you will get information and different things you need for your application.

Oh my.... is seems that to get 4 year visa now is harder.
    5 years ago we did for my husband.
    TBH we bouth lived in Ireland so we didn't need any photos or family statement.
    As far as i remember we needed passports(original ones send in), 2 passport size photos,bank statements,payslips,letter from work.in the start he was granted 6 month visa until they will proceed the application further and after 6 months he got 5 years.
    Probably times had changed and they are more strictly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

I am not certain if everyone off these were necessary but they were recommended especially putting his wife on his health insurance.
    He probably had to do more to show it was a genuine relation as his wife was living outside of Ireland.

It's a long and somewhat complicated process with very little help or information available to point people in the right direction when applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spooky21

Hi,
    Thank for the replies.

My girlfriend is from a country that doesn't need a visa to enter here, so I thought that made things a little easier. She just needs a permit to work/live here.
    I checked the INIS website and they say that we just need to go to the GNIB and bring passports, marriage cert etc.

I know it is slightly more complicated for visa required nations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah, its handy enough for non-visa required nations...

Get a 3 month visitor visa on arrival
    Go to the GNIB (if in DUblin) or local garda superintendent station with passports/marriage certs, proof of address, etc.
    They should then issue residency card to the spouse, valid for a year.

Doing it in the garda station is far handier than GNIB, make an appointment with them so dont have to queue. Had to do renewal in gnib, its a nightmare, waiting around for hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement