Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Boiler Recommendations

• 11-12-2014 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

My 1996 Ideal Classic FF250 gas wall hung boiler is on the way out and I have decided to replace it after Christmas.

Would anyone be able to recommend a condenser replacement ?

No idea which are the best / most reliable / most preferred by plumbers and would appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Worcester bosch would be my boiler of choice make sure your system is powerflushed and ask about getting a grant for upgrading your heating controls the grant is 610 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Thanks AnthonyOs, much appreciated. What sort of qualities makes it stand out ? I have a fairly small house, do I need smarter heating controls ?

Cheers .

Yes smarter controls and the grant is 610.the cheaper boilers will do the same job as the worcester bosch but it will have german build quality and reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Thanks AnthonyOs, much appreciated. What sort of qualities makes it stand out ? I have a fairly small house, do I need smarter heating controls ?

Cheers .

I'd go with the Ariston myself. Most lads have there preferences but I like Ariston because the boiler output can be set to suit any size system. Plus there's loads of other adjustments that you can make to it that other boilers simply don't have yet.

Who does the training on ariston dtp

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'd go with the Ariston myself. Most lads have there preferences but I like Ariston because the boiler output can be set to suit any size system. Plus there's loads of other adjustments that you can make to it that other boilers simply don't have yet.

Thanks DTP - so you recommend them over the one above ?

Appreciated.

anthonyos wrote: »
    Who does the training on ariston dtp

Plumb it I think. I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I'm a worcester man myself. Brilliant boilers never give an ounce of trouble .
    you can get a 8 year warranty on them too parts and labour.
    As the past post says up grade your heating controls too. its the best way to control your heating 560 euro for the up grade of boiler and heating controls and 50 euro towards the ber cert. if your an electric ireland customer they will credit you another 616 euro but only certain companies can give you this additional incentive. Its never been a better time to up grade now

Thanks for the suggestions.

What will upgraded heating controls get me ?

Cheers and thanks again.

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.

What will upgraded heating controls get me ?

Cheers and thanks again.

Lower gas bills :)

• Advertisement

About 400 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Field east

Have two Wall mounted vokara boilers- fitted in 2005. Parts fitted on three occasions - costing circa € 375 each time. One makes a bit more noise than the other. One of them - not the noise one- also 'purrs' once or twice during the night , even though it is turned off . Am told that it is a built in safety device that cuts in during frosty weather. But it cuts in when there is no frost. Am thinking of replacing both for efficiency reasons - like changing your car every 5 to 6 years .
    Has anyone out there got experience of Vokara boilers and should I go for the Worchester Borsch brand?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I'm a worcester man myself. Brilliant boilers never give an ounce of trouble .
    you can get a 8 year warranty on them too parts and labour.

All boilers give ounces of trouble, just some less than others. ;)
    I have repaired WB boilers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

What about the ideal logic?
    I was referred to this by an Rgii that did a service for me, said that the problem with Ariston, which Id previously considered was that the parts were expensive and not as easy to obtain, not sure how this works with a warranty, what are the usual limits/exclusions to a warranty you might expect to find? certain parts? still even if a part was covered under warranty, I dont think Id be keen on waiting for a spare for ages.

Anyone know what controls come with a logic system boiler?
    What about heating controls, when you already have them? I mean, whats necessary on the boiler when you have a programmer, stats and valves?

Any good questions to ask regarding how someone flushes? type of machine? magnet used? chemicals used? and how long, given warranties seem to rely on it?

Im also concerned about exclusions that Ive read, regarding I.S.813? I wouldnt want to have a gas pipe replaced if it wasnt necessary, if it had already supplied what is likely a larger older boiler, being replaced with a smaller capacity more efficient newer one.

cerastes wrote: »
    What about the ideal logic?
    I was referred to this by an Rgii that did a service for me, said that the problem with Ariston, which Id previously considered was that the parts were expensive and not as easy to obtain, not sure how this works with a warranty, what are the usual limits/exclusions to a warranty you might expect to find? certain parts? still even if a part was covered under warranty, I dont think Id be keen on waiting for a spare for ages.

Anyone know what controls come with a logic system boiler?
    What about heating controls, when you already have them? I mean, whats necessary on the boiler when you have a programmer, stats and valves?

Any good questions to ask regarding how someone flushes? type of machine? magnet used? chemicals used? and how long, given warranties seem to rely on it?

Im also concerned about exclusions that Ive read, regarding I.S.813? I wouldnt want to have a gas pipe replaced if it wasnt necessary, if it had already supplied what is likely a larger older boiler, being replaced with a smaller capacity more efficient newer one.

Ariston parts are not expensive and easy to get

Ariston parts are not expensive and easy to get
    I suspected the person telling me this may have been selling me the idea of their preference, on the other hand, Ive read some ok things about the Ideal Logic. Any opinion on it here?
    and any idea on what controls it has available as fitted or available accessories if you already have controls.
    I looked at one website and the quoted figures were nearly 1000 extra for fitting all the controls and other elements not needed.
    How do I know if certain parts of my current installation meet IS813?

cerastes wrote: »
    I suspected the person telling me this may have been selling me the idea of their preference, on the other hand, Ive read some ok things about the Ideal Logic. Any opinion on it here?
    and any idea on what controls it has available as fitted or available accessories if you already have controls.
    I looked at one website and the quoted figures were nearly 1000 extra for fitting all the controls and other elements not needed.
    How do I know if certain parts of my current installation meet IS813?
    The ideal logic is a cheap basic boiler that works. As far as I know their warranty does not extend to rep of Ireland. What controls are you talking about?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The logic is a very good boiler with basic controls/parameters much like the WB and is fully warranties in Ireland and a boiler I have had little trouble with.

It would even seem the new Baxi have now opted for a similar heatexchanger design, moving away from the gianani type.

The ideal logic is a cheap basic boiler that works. As far as I know their warranty does not extend to rep of Ireland. What controls are you talking about?

Ok, I saw the price and it seems it is a similar price to buy, although I think there might be better value in the plumber/installer buying it than me.

Regarding controls, I meant, what controls are on that boiler type, Ive seen a manual online for a logic + 24, that showed a basic mechanical timeclock (seems optional, maybe even unnecessary), buttons to control the heat (although that may have been a combi version which I am not plumbed for) but Ive read it can modulate down to 4.8 or 5kw so maybe its applicable. I think the 24 refers to the kw's of the boiler, 24 seems like a lot, when my own is 15-18kw (edit, just under 15 seems to be the output) the last I checked and it still used to cycle a lot more before the stat was fitted once things get up to temp, this made me think it was too large a capacity, although it would never get rooms above 22 degrees or 20 in the cold, that was still enough for me.

also regarding controls, I found an installer site with fitting cost for a boiler and flush and other things that seem standard and necessary, or fitting with other controls such as programmer,trvs and thermostats, but which cost 1000 more for that, If these controls already exist, I dont think there would be any changes to be made other than connect the existing programmer and controls to the boiler, as there seemed to be a 1000 charge for fitting the kind of controls that already exist.
    DGOBS wrote: »
    The logic is a very good boiler with basic controls/parameters much like the WB and is fully warranties in Ireland and a boiler I have had little trouble with.

It would even seem the new Baxi have now opted for a similar heatexchanger design, moving away from the gianani type.

I read it was modulating, down to around 5kw.
    The only thing Im really trying to find out is what the boiler is like now, after some years of use, what the experience is like with them?
    Ive read some reviews of when they came out and initially people seemed to be concerned due to how Ideal as a company and some of their other boilers were at the time, but having read since, it seemed that the logic was a return to a good boiler made by them.
    I also read of problems with previous Ideal boilers heat exchangers and that the logic has an alloy exchanger rather than a stainless steel one (not sure if thats Aluminium alloy or something else,I gather its not Stainless steel, even though Stainless Steel is an alloy anyway), and that this might have caused problems (the alloy one) or was thought might.

Other concerns are IS813, my house is post 96/97, Id hope its up to standard, but cant see any bonding of the gas supply pipe inside the house, I'd like to think this is hidden away but think this could be checked by testing the continuity between the pipe and earth. It does however look like a 15mm pipe, coming up to the boiler and another pipe also is embedded in the wall behind the cooker which feeds the gas hob, also 15mm.
    There may be another pipe 22mm pipe from the meter feeding both of these?, but the supply pipe is hidden away, I could look at the meter, just dont want it to be considered necessary to fit another pipe as the current one serves the purpose fine, I cant see where it could be fitted except externally, this would be more exposed to harm and ugly if it was needed and in my opinion less safe, when its likely to require supplying a smaller capacity? more efficient boiler?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I know a lot of boilers are packing up with the aluminium heat exchangers.

Might be time to revert back to stainless or mild steel.

Which boilers don't have aluminium?

• Advertisement

yipeeeee wrote: »

Ariston and viessmann are SS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ariston and viessmann are SS.

Yeah thought that, they are seen an increase in sales i believe.

Not saying it isnt the case, but is there somehwere that shows this is? ie where boiler reliability can be compared, other than owners views?
    I did check and seems there is a 15 and 18kw version too, or maybe its just a different nozzle or calibrated differently?
    The flue appears only to be able top come out the top in an uncovered way, mine is hidden from view, I'll have to check the dimensions, it may mean this would have to be fitted lower, I still am not sure how it is meant to be cheaper as a few sites showed it at a similar price to an Ariston, so maybe that is the better buy if it has a SS heat exchanger.

Really was hoping someone would come along and know the extras are available, it seems to have weather compensation, Im not sure if the outdoor sensor has to be fitted for it to modulate, and trying to determine do all/most boilers come with an automatic pump, ie that runs at the best speed, the blurb on the ideal site seems to suggest this http://www.idealheating.ie/products/controls.php
    my pump is not energy rated and has a switch on it where it has been set from day one.
    Yeah thought that, they are seen an increase in sales i believe.

Likewise? getting put off anything without SS now, mine is definitely not SS, Id say cast iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

If you swap to electric ireland as a new customer you get a free www.climote.ie digital remote capable timer.

I got one

Free install. Free hardware. Free software.

Excellent deal

The catch? It's a small one. On year two if you want to retain remote access you pay 40 euro per year.

Don't want remote access ? That's fine, programme it yourself while in front of it.

Fab deal.

I've no affiliation with electric ireland

Do they just connect it into the existing system? where the programmer is?
    I read somewhere on boards that someone said they were told it was 2 years but then after they signed up that magically changed to one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

It seems like its too good to be true but its not.
    It's a sweetener to jump to elec ire, I gave them gas and elec

The old manual timer is removed and its replaced with the digital wonder.
    They know most people will want the ap a 40 PA
    You would save that per year being able to switch off / on when off on hols or whatever

It's sim operated so no need for broadband either

Cool system

Advertisement