Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission

Options
  • 19-11-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

Ive worked in the Construction Industry for nearly 8 years as a Quantity Surveyor and I have one question that is bugging me:

When is planning permission deemed to be completed on a residential building?

Ive heard over the years plenty of: "oh its when its up to wall plate level" or "Its when the roof is on and the house is weather tight"

I know fine well in contracts when Practical Completion and Substantial Completion are achieved as normally these are spelt out, but this one has always got the better of me, i suppose because I rarely deal with one off housing.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cronin_j wrote: »
    Ive worked in the Construction Industry for nearly 8 years as a Quantity Surveyor and I have one question that is bugging me:

When is planning permission deemed to be completed on a residential building?

Ive heard over the years plenty of: "oh its when its up to wall plate level" or "Its when the roof is on and the house is weather tight"

I know fine well in contracts when Practical Completion and Substantial Completion are achieved as normally these are spelt out, but this one has always got the better of me, i suppose because I rarely deal with one off housing.

General rule of thumb in Dublin on a one off house, it's substantially complete when you get to wall plate level. For larger developments, sub structures and service infrastructure including roads, drainage etc can be considered substantially complete.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kceire wrote: »
    General rule of thumb in Dublin on a one off house, it's substantially complete when you get to wall plate level.

Not if you're in DLR CC area! They deem it complete only when roof is on and finished, windows and external doors installed, and, external finishes complete...i.e., basically, 'weather tight'.

The definition of complete differs from local authority to local authority!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

In accordance with the TGD's, "substantial work has been completed" is taken as the structure of the external walls have been erected. No more, no less. They are the documents that must be adhered to nationally so will any LA argue with them? Takes burden of responsibility off them to go with this, no?

There is no direct definition of "complete" in either the Act or Regs so this is best there is...

Bear in mind for extension of durations this stipulation need not be met either.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not if you're in DLR CC area! They deem it complete only when roof is on and finished, windows and external doors installed, and, external finishes complete...i.e., basically, 'weather tight'.

The definition of complete differs from local authority to local authority!

Yes, I should of clarified I was talking Dublin City council.
    There is no hard rule on substantially complete at present, and a good legal argument could contest a decision IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ronald2015

Has there ever been a piece of legislation/policy that defines "substantially complete" - one off dwelling

• Advertisement

Ronald2015 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a piece of legislation/policy that defines "substantially complete" - one off dwelling

Not that i am aware of, although most LA's will rule it to be roof on and weather tight (thats what i hear the Planning Enforcement guys saying).

It has changed from wall plate level from what i hear.

Advertisement