Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland = S**T

Options
  • 04-11-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I am a 32 year old.
    I have being a Bank of ireland customer for 18 years. I have has 3 loans out in that time.
    I have never miss a repayment. i have alway set up my loans so that if i have extra cash i can pay it off early.
    I have alway done this. so my 3 loans, i pay off a 4 year loan in less than a year, a 2 year loan in 6 months. and my last loan 18 month early.
    I have never need for a overdraft or used a credit card.
    i took out a loan on the 19000 in march over 3 years. so far i have paid off 14000.
    i have work my ass off to pay off my loan. so last month. i was a bit short.
    for the first time ever due to a error in my work, My wages were missed. My work organised that my pay would come in my next pay check. (so I would get double pay).
    So I got a letter from work explain what happened (it was there banks fault).

So i needed 400 euros overdraft for 4 weeks. so i asked my bank for an overdraft.
    I was shocked they said no. I ask why and they said I took out a loan in march and that was the reason why.
    I have only €5432 left on this loan after 7 months.
    I have more than enough in my saving to cover this amount but I have a 21 day set notice account.

So My Question is
    Which Bank Should I move to????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They are **** but in my own experience I have been with

AIB
    Ulster
    National Irish
    BOI

and BOI are the least worst IMO.
    I worked for AIB too and have since vowed never to go near them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I am a 32 year old.
    I have being a Bank of ireland customer for 18 years. I have has 3 loans out in that time.
    I have never miss a repayment. i have alway set up my loans so that if i have extra cash i can pay it off early.
    I have alway done this. so my 3 loans, i pay off a 4 year loan in less than a year, a 2 year loan in 6 months. and my last loan 18 month early.
    I have never need for a overdraft or used a credit card.
    i took out a loan on the 19000 in march over 3 years. so far i have paid off 14000.
    i have work my ass off to pay off my loan. so last month. i was a bit short.
    for the first time ever due to a error in my work, My wages were missed. My work organised that my pay would come in my next pay check. (so I would get double pay).
    So I got a letter from work explain what happened (it was there banks fault).

So i needed 400 euros overdraft for 4 weeks. so i asked my bank for an overdraft.
    I was shocked they said no. I ask why and they said I took out a loan in march and that was the reason why.
    I have only €5432 left on this loan after 7 months.
    I have more than enough in my saving to cover this amount but I have a 21 day set notice account.

So My Question is
    Which Bank Should I move to????

I'd appeal that. Sounds like a load of me bollox. Sometimes I wonder about the use of common sense in some credit departments. However, there maybe a way around this problem. Ask the bank to debit your loan account for 400 eur. Seeing you have overpaid, the limit will not have catched up. But seriously appeal it, as I don't think moving bank will immediatly solve your problem - a new bank is not likely to give you an overdraft straight away.

However, on a seperate note, it's not always a good idea to put every extra penny you earn to paying down your loans early. Ok, you'll save on interest but you'll have no money in case of emergency (like above).

Finally, I wouldn't be happy waiting for 4 weeks for my pay. They should be cutting you a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭rameire

The Bank of Rameire.
    tell me what would you like.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

stepbar wrote: »
    I'd appeal that. Sounds like a load of me bollox. Sometimes I wonder about the use of common sense in some credit departments. However, there maybe a way around this problem. Ask the bank to debit your loan account for 400 eur. Seeing you have overpaid, the limit will not have catched up. But seriously appeal it, as I don't think moving bank will immediatly solve your problem - a new bank is not likely to give you an overdraft straight away.

However, on a seperate note, it's not always a good idea to put every extra penny you earn to paying down your loans early. Ok, you'll save on interest but you'll have no money in case of emergency (like above).

Finally, I wouldn't be happy waiting for 4 weeks for my pay. They should be cutting you a cheque.

+1

Do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

To hell with appealing this...move banks now, and get an agreement, based on your sound history with BoI, from a representative of your new bank that you will be looked upon favourably if you have future credit needs with them.

Leave the loan you have with BoI until you have it cleared.

Irish people need to start moving against this inertia and banks need to be punished for shabby treatment of long established customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 hotfeet

To hell with appealing this...move banks now, and get an agreement, based on your sound history with BoI, from a representative of your new bank that you will be looked upon favourably if you have future credit needs with them.

Irish people need to start moving against this inertia and banks need to be punished for shabby treatment of long established customers.

The Credit Union is yer only man, It does not matter what bank you go to, and because you are in their eyes a "sucker" that pays on time and clears your loans early, they will find a way to ride you, but on the other hand if you could borrow a million or a billion from them and pay none of it back you will be feted and wined and dined by the banks and every other mover and shaker from the top down, ya could try that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The issue here is that your employer's bank has made an error. Get them to correct that, and have your wages issued either direct to your account or by cheque.

Your previous loan payments being larger than agreed, or paid off earlier than agreed, are irrelevant. This will not effect the decision to approve your overdraft request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

And perhaps beat your chest while your at it?

The only way the OP is going to have this sorted quickly is by appealing. Moving bank (at this point) will only delay things. Another bank will not agree to anything without statements and evidence of savings. The OP can move after the overdraft is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

The poster is very generous in waiting 4 weeks more to be paid. nornal practice would be for payroll depts to fix any errors ASAP doing an extra EFT or cheque to fix their error.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I moved everything to Ulster Bank. Closed Everything.
    BOI rang to say i owe 5euro 55 cent on my loan.
    told them that they could forget about it, they never get it.
    Came home last night. Bank Manger Sitting in my drive way wondering why i was moving all my accounts.
    explaned again. he gave me the load that shocking and should have happen, so i point out that it was him who i rang first to get my overdraft.
    did say much after that.
    gave me the talk the bank being very good to me over the last 15 years.
    and at that stage i stop him and sent him home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

GSF wrote: »
    The poster is very generous in waiting 4 weeks more to be paid. nornal practice would be for payroll depts to fix any errors ASAP doing an extra EFT or cheque to fix their error.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As soon as my debts with BOI are finished, I'm gone from them. When I was working for someone else, there wasn't enough they could do for me, 3k overdraft facility, 12k credit card limit, and any time I needed a loan, it was always pre-approved. I understand most of that is down to the bank being completely flippant with their credit over the last few years, but there was still a feel good factor of being one of their customers.

I switched to being self employed, and in their eyes now, I might as well be selling the big issue. They've ignored all the good faith I've built up with them, and have no interest in helping me, or my business out at the moment with the hard times everyone's going through. Sick to the teeth with them TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hotfeet

You just dont have enough borrowed from them, they were always a pack of bastards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was with them ages ago, had a loan with them back in 2003, and only a few hundred left to pay. i got a lump sum from the FCA and went into the bank and asked how much i'd left, they said x, and i handed that amount over the counter. I asked was that my loan cleared, he checked on the computer, and said yes, all clear.

A couple of months later i get a call saying i've missed 2 repayments and i've been referred to a collections agency. No one ever contacted me, or sent me a reminder letter, etc. I had Holy War with them. In the end, they reluctantly apologised and i cleared the loan. I changed banks to TSB then.

Got a mortgage last December, and during my application i was told i was blacklisted. I asked why and they referred me to BoI. Apparently, even though i was on the blacklist for missing those two payments even though it was their fault, they never took me off it. Left me blacklisted for the last 7 years! Only after a week of phonecalls did they issue a letter stating that they were wrong and never took me off it, and i finally got my mortgage!

BoI are the worst bank here, and it sickens me every payday knowing that my wages are keeping them from closing up... Should have left them rot in their bad loans...

TSB however are great, never any problems!!! :)

I moved everything to Ulster Bank. Closed Everything.
    BOI rang to say i owe 5euro 55 cent on my loan.
    told them that they could forget about it, they never get it.
    Came home last night. Bank Manger Sitting in my drive way wondering why i was moving all my accounts.
    explaned again. he gave me the load that shocking and should have happen, so i point out that it was him who i rang first to get my overdraft.
    did say much after that.
    gave me the talk the bank being very good to me over the last 15 years.
    and at that stage i stop him and sent him home.

I'm delighted to hear you took this course.

The fact that the manager made a personal call to you means that your account had become noticed in Dublin and he had been sent on a mission to get you back. There will be a penalty waiting for him in not re-acquiring your business.

If more people did this to their banks when they are shabbily treated, customer service would rapidly improve overnight, along with basic staff manners and product/procedural knowledge.

The customer is king, not a computer that says 'no'.

I was with them ages ago, had a loan with them back in 2003, and only a few hundred left to pay. i got a lump sum from the FCA and went into the bank and asked how much i'd left, they said x, and i handed that amount over the counter. I asked was that my loan cleared, he checked on the computer, and said yes, all clear.

A couple of months later i get a call saying i've missed 2 repayments and i've been referred to a collections agency. No one ever contacted me, or sent me a reminder letter, etc. I had Holy War with them. In the end, they reluctantly apologised and i cleared the loan. I changed banks to TSB then.

Got a mortgage last December, and during my application i was told i was blacklisted. I asked why and they referred me to BoI. Apparently, even though i was on the blacklist for missing those two payments even though it was their fault, they never took me off it. Left me blacklisted for the last 7 years! Only after a week of phonecalls did they issue a letter stating that they were wrong and never took me off it, and i finally got my mortgage!

BoI are the worst bank here, and it sickens me every payday knowing that my wages are keeping them from closing up... Should have left them rot in their bad loans...

TSB however are great, never any problems!!! :)

This is why when you clear down a debt, you get a confirmation letter from the lender. Far too many peope have been told one thing only to be told another thing by the banks' accounts departments.

Advertisement