Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Bible Study: 20th April 2008

Options
  • 15-04-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

I'd just like to make a suggestion to begin a thread which discusses the Gospel for the coming Sunday. Is anyone in favour of this?

This Sunday's Gospel is John 14:1-12
    1 Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house there are many mansions. If not, I would have told you: because I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I shall go, and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will take you to myself; that where I am, you also may be. 4 And whither I go you know, and the way you know. 5 Thomas saith to him: Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

6 Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me. 7 If you had known me, you would without doubt have known my Father also: and from henceforth you shall know him, and you have seen him. 8 Philip saith to him: Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us. 9 Jesus saith to him: Have I been so long a time with you; and have you not known me? Philip, he that seeth me seeth the Father also. How sayest thou, show us the Father? 10 Do you not believe, that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak to you, I speak not of myself. But the Father who abideth in me, he doth the works.

11 Believe you not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? 12 Otherwise believe for the very works' sake. Amen, amen I say to you, he that believeth in me, the works that I do, he also shall do; and greater than these shall he do.

I realize I'm taking the gospel from the Catholic lectionary but I don't think this should be an issue?

I'd like to hear the message that people take from the word of God. What does it mean to you and how does it apply to you or to people in general?

What think ye?

God bless,
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

John14 wrote:
    Philip, he that seeth me seeth the Father also

How I would have loved to be there!

Imagine that looking into the face of Jesus is to see God!!!

No wonder He attracted so many crowds around Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

kelly1 wrote: »
    Greetings all,

I'd just like to make a suggestion to begin a thread which discusses the Gospel for the coming Sunday. Is anyone in favour of this?

This Sunday's Gospel is John 14:1-12
    God bless,
    Noel.
    Noel, I have no problem with this, but you may want to to keep replies to this to the Christians. I can see all kinds of debates/arguments arising which I think will defeat the reason you started this post. If it goes well it could become a sticky. Let me know how you feel.
    Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I agree that it should be kept within the framework of the Christian faith. I would have no objections to atheists/agnostics asking genuine questions which seek to understand the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

Its a beautiful passage ... there is so much to be said about it!

It contains Christ promise to us: "I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." That's where Christians throughout the centuries have been looking forward to: To be with Christ, in His place. The place itself is called "my Father's House," and although sometimes equated with Heaven, I think it is outside the (created) heavens. It is the eternal home of God. That's how close God wants us to be to Him! That's what we have been created for to worship Him, love Him and have fellowship with Him.
    It also gives us Christ's exclusives claims: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
    He is not "a way", part of truth etc. He is THE WAY, THE TRUTH and THE LIFE. Without Him and outside of Him these three things don't exist! That's a great claim, and it must have a lasting impact on our lives! Everything we do, say, think, we must do so in the light of His person and love.

The otherside of this is also that if someone points out another way, or another truth, or another (way of) life, we immediately have to say that it is not a real truth, life or way if it is not Christ's...

The final states another promise: "whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do" We are capable of doing greater works than the Lord Jesus, because He had suffered and died and now sits at the Father site for us. Because He has gone to the Father for us, and He is connected us, we are capable of these greater works. It is directly connected with the freedom we have in approaching the glory of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Good post santing.:)

What really stands out for me is this verse:
    Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.

The world we live in is full of lies and deceipt. There are traps everywhere we turn, endless things to keep us away from God. We need to keep our focus on Christ and realize that without Him we have nothing and are helplessly lost.

• Advertisement

Not too many takers. Lead balloon comes to mind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

It's not been that long though. Give it a few days, see if interest picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Nice thread Noel. Bit of an online bible study. Read it yesterday but didn't get around to responding.

I find this a very reassuring passage. We as Christians can take great comfort in the fact that Jesus has gone before us to prepare a place for us.
    From reading this passage, for me, predestination comes to the fore; Jesus tells the disciples he is preparing a place for them. If they weren't all bound for heaven, Jesus would not have said this to them. Note that poor 'ole Judas had already left the room at this stage...

The most important part of this passage is verse 6:
    "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Thus impying that there is only one way and one way only to God and heaven. This is were you and I would probably disagree, but however...

I wonder about 'many mansions' bit. Is Jesus telling us there's loadsa room? Or is he saying there are many different sizes and styles-depending on how we did down here? I reckon the latter to be true... We joke about this in our bible study group; we reckon we're all gonna end up in 'tent heaven' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I heard somewhere that a Jewish bridegroom, following the betrothal, would go and build a special bridal chamber as an extension to his father's house. When it was completed he would come back for his bride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hm, it was the same reading in my church. Seems that the Catholic and Anglican churches follow the same pattern. Indeed a very nice Gospel reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

PDN wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that a Jewish bridegroom, following the betrothal, would go and build a special bridal chamber as an extension to his father's house. When it was completed he would come back for his bride.

You've jogged my memory PDN, I recall hearing that too. I suppose Jesus preached within the context of the time so folk could better understand...

Splendour wrote: »
    I find this a very reassuring passage. We as Christians can take great comfort in the fact that Jesus has gone before us to prepare a place for us.
    From reading this passage, for me, predestination comes to the fore; Jesus tells the disciples he is preparing a place for them. If they weren't all bound for heaven, Jesus would not have said this to them. Note that poor 'ole Judas had already left the room at this stage...
    Prestination, interesting question. Maybe for another thread sometime...
    The most important part of this passage is verse 6:
    "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Thus impying that there is only one way and one way only to God and heaven. This is were you and I would probably disagree, but however...
    I certainly don't disagree! I just believe the the Catholic Church is implementing Christ's commandments by fully implementing the sacraments. I believe Christ is really and truly present in the Blessed Sacrament and that confession and absolution are ordained by God to be the normal way of receiving forgiveness.
    I wonder about 'many mansions' bit. Is Jesus telling us there's loadsa room? Or is he saying there are many different sizes and styles-depending on how we did down here? I reckon the latter to be true... We joke about this in our bible study group; we reckon we're all gonna end up in 'tent heaven' ;)
    A very good question. I imagine it's indicative of the glory of Heaven and the special reception we will receive as victors with Christ.
    PDN wrote: »
    Thanks. Understanding the customs and the context is vital to understanding scripture.

Advertisement