Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour has added 1.5 stories - no planning permission.

• 28-08-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just bought a house in an old area of Dublin. House next door was clearly a WIP but lived in. I, foolishly, never checked out the planning search before we closed the sale.

Our house does not share a party wall with his, there is a narrow alley way in between. His house was originally a single storey terrace house and he had added an additional storey when we first looked at the house. He is now adding further blockwork on top and has a lot of building material on the street (roof timbers etc.)

I've been in contact with Planning in DCC and confirmed that there is no planning in place for the development. From my reading of the exempted dev guidelines, this is definitely a breach.

My main concern is the safety of the build. I walk past the house everyday, as does my partner and any potential collapse can come directly in to the side of our house or potentially on to a flat roof. If he has no PP, there's likely no engineers involved either.

I've just moved in and he seems a decent chap so I'm reluctant to approach him about it as he's unlikely to just say "Ah yeah, I'll stop that up, no problem" and if I have to down the route of reporting it, it'll be clear as day where the report came from. From DCC's website, you have to give your full contact details before the Enforcement section will check it out.

Advice welcome and thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Sounds like the neighbour needs planning and while your details re enforcement are not available to the public, ask yourself when he's finished will you have a problem still? I'd prefer to get on with the neighbours unless they're completely taking the piss and it impacts on me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Make a complaint in writting or by email to Planning Enforcement of DCC.

Send it to :

Dublin City Council
    Planning Department
    Block 4, Floor 2
    Civic Offices
    Wood Quay
    Dublin 8

Or email planningenforcement@dublincity.ie

Dont forget to include :

•Your name (this will remain confidential).
    •Your address and phone number.
    •The address of the development.
    •Any details you have concerning the owner or occupier of the property.
    •The date the development began.
    •Photographs (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shadowaccount

The impact on me when his finished is any potential shortcuts he has taken during the build due to lack of any engineering/building control input during planning could impact on me should the building deteriorate.

Also, if he's happy enough to keep adding bits and pieces on to the house, when will he stop. This needs to be balanced with not disrupting the pretty harmonious atmosphere on the street.

I know that ultimately the council can make him take it all back down again but it's more likely to be an instruction to apply for retention I guess I'm just thinking out loud on here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The impact on me when his finished is any potential shortcuts he has taken during the build due to lack of any engineering/building control input during planning could impact on me should the building deteriorate.

Also, if he's happy enough to keep adding bits and pieces on to the house, when will he stop. This needs to be balanced with not disrupting the pretty harmonious atmosphere on the street.

I know that ultimately the council can make him take it all back down again but it's more likely to be an instruction to apply for retention I guess I'm just thinking out loud on here.

My post above explains all that you can do at present.
    Let the LA investigate the alleged issue.

Advertisement