Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extension exemption from planning?

• 28-08-2015 10:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a mid terrace house (built circa 1950s) that has a small two storey extension constructed to the rear (10 sq.m, circa 1970) total. I want to build an extension to the rear for 2 new bedrooms at ground floor. Can I simply build 40sqm without planning here, or would it be 30sqm (taking into account the existing old extension)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

You have to subtract other extension areas from the 40m2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

But all the other houses on the terrace have the same extension- surely they must have all been built at the same time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ruskin wrote: »
    But all the other houses on the terrace have the same extension- surely they must have all been built at the same time.

This makes no sense.

And stop calling me shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

ruskin wrote: »

I don't know maybe all builders working "at the same time" had a race and the quickest builder won a prize. Hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Are you sure it is an extension and not part of the original structure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Check exactly what the conditions are for an extension to be exempt as there's more than just a total of 40 Sq. Metres. In any case as the existing is ten then anything more than thirty for the new extension will need planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And dont forget about the remaining open space requirements, you may still need planning even if under the 40 Sq. M limit at ground floor.

Advertisement