Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do i start - New Build

• 26-08-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Folks some advice,

looking at purchasing a site to build a 2000 sqft bungalow or dormer. the process is a bit daunting and theres lots to consider. have done the following:

Bank: Sorted for build, site purchase will be separate to mortgage
    Planning: pre-planning booked for next week

Legal: Quotes of about 3K including all govt charges (1200 professional fee)

Architect: This is where my current problems lie

have a few quotes at 8% of build cost with 50:50 before:after planning. This equates to 10K just to get to planning. 20K overall. Other quotes of 2.5K plus VAT to planning

are these normal and should i expect the guy offering 2.5K to be loading most of the fees onto the back end if i choose to go with him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

maw wrote: »
    are these normal and should i expect the guy offering 2.5K to be loading most of the fees onto the back end if i choose to go with him?

Ask HIM. Literally no one else knows.

Otherwise 8% is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭maw

yes i realise that :)

I guess i'm slightly confused by those who are selling themselves as "architectural services" and those that are architects.

I think the lower quote is a non architect selling an architectural service. is there any risks with this?

Risk is that the non architect is not up to speed with building regulations and you get a permision that later has to altered.
    Ask for refernces

Also - ask how passive house design aware any designer you are thinking of using is.

The correct design can save up to 30% of heating costs soley by correctly sizing glazing for solar gain- most on South least on Nort some on East/West walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

10k for planning for a house is way over the top. The real work is the building drawings and how the architect will ensure its built to plans and therefore higher fee at this end is justifiable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This thread so far is not about the starting, it is about the fees so maybe move it to prices and costs.

If my math is right you want to build for 125 euro/sq foot: (10,000/0.04)/2000
    so before we go digging foundations :) whats in the 125?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

maw wrote: »
    Hi Folks some advice,
    looking at purchasing a site to build a 2000 sqft bungalow or dormer. the process is a bit daunting and theres lots to consider. have done the following:
    Bank: Sorted for build, site purchase will be separate to mortgage
    Planning: pre-planning booked for next week
    Legal: Quotes of about 3K including all govt charges (1200 professional fee)
    Architect: This is where my current problems lie
    have a few quotes at 8% of build cost with 50:50 before:after planning. This equates to 10K just to get to planning. 20K overall. Other quotes of 2.5K plus VAT to planning

I'm not an Architect but i am involved in the Construction industry.
    You seem to know about banking and legal stuff - and have them sorted. You dont know about construction "the process is a bit daunting".

The best advice is to build a team based on your knowledge and importance. Architect designs space to meet specific requirements or functions and to comply with regulations - but it depends on what you ask them to do; Architectural service will draw what you want (to allow you build); Engineer designs structure to ensure stability; Quantity Surveyor controls cost; I would build a team around me to assist me in the best possible way.

It annoys me when the industry is blamed for the mistakes of inexperienced clients, whether this is cost, design or other.

If you want a house that is cheap as chips - Architectural service; If you want a nice house that is functional and compliant - Architect (get many quotes, but look at what they have designed before to see if you will like their stamp on your ideas)

Fees are displayed as a %, but it would be naive not to know your time is covered ~ ask them to break down their price - drawing hours (no of drawings), no of meetings envisaged (you might love the first design, or hate it and they need to redesign a number of times), no site visits and time for other works; they dont work for minimum wage, and need to make a profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Hi there,

I am just after getting planning permission and, much like yourself, found the process quite daunting!

We went with an engineer to do our plans as we were fairly sure what we wanted in our simple, functional home. We paid €3000 in total incl. VAT. and were very happy with the service - got through planning first time with no further info required. I would also say that, as an engineer, he was very aware throughout the design stages of how much certain elements of the build would cost; structural, one roof shape v another, how much steel needed etc - all adds up and tiny tweaks to our plans saved thousands.

I have friends who are architects who told me they would have charged 10% of the build to design our house. You are paying for the beautiful spaces they deisgn and in that regard it's worth every penny but that's not what we were looking for. In my opinion, it really depends on what you want to build, whether you are fairly sure of what you want or if you need someone to guide you through the process.

I hope I haven't generalised too much, but that was just my experience!

Advertisement