Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External air pipe to stove?

Options
  • 03-12-2014 1:47am
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I a refurbishing an old bungalow and will be putting in a solid fuel stove. A new floor is going in and I want to pipe in an air supply.
    How exactly is this done? What kind of pipe? size? where exactly does it enter to the stove?
    All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Eamon

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

2 weeks, 80 views and no reply. Anyone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Well Eamon,
    First of all, you need to ensure your stove is external air ready. After that, generally speaking, you'll run a 4" sewer pipe under the floor and have it come up behind the stove, then mate it to a flexible stainless steel bend and attach that to the stove with a jubilee clip. Alteratively, if your stove backs on to an external wall, you can just run pipe straight out through the wall. Either way, wherever your pipe terminates externally make sure that water can't find its way in, and if you go underground, that all joints in piping are watertight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

why would i want to have a stove with an external air supply? whats the advantage?

why would i want to have a stove with an external air supply? whats the advantage?
    If you have a house with high air-tightness, you _need_ a stove with an external air supply. Otherwise you're dependent on the MHRV (or whatever air supply is being used for the house) meeting the needs of the house and the stove, and that's not practical.
    If your house isn't highly air-tight and/or doesn't have mechanically supplied air, then a normal stove should be fine - as long as you the proper ventilation in the walls, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

If you have a house with high air-tightness, you _need_ a stove with an external air supply. Otherwise you're dependent on the MHRV (or whatever air supply is being used for the house) meeting the needs of the house and the stove, and that's not practical.
    If your house isn't highly air-tight and/or doesn't have mechanically supplied air, then a normal stove should be fine - as long as you the proper ventilation in the walls, etc.

so if my part L suggests I go with mhrv and a good airtightness value then I should really have an external 4inch pipe for air to underneath my stove? how does the stove then connect to the 4inch sewer pipe? tightly without having air escaping the envelope of the building I suppose

• Advertisement

Well Eamon,
    First of all, you need to ensure your stove is external air ready. After that, generally speaking, you'll run a 4" sewer pipe under the floor and have it come up behind the stove, then mate it to a flexible stainless steel bend and attach that to the stove with a jubilee clip. Alteratively, if your stove backs on to an external wall, you can just run pipe straight out through the wall. Either way, wherever your pipe terminates externally make sure that water can't find its way in, and if you go underground, that all joints in piping are watertight.

I answered the connectivity question above, so re-posting here.

Advertisement