Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Control heating via smartphone?

• 06-12-2014 12:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd really love to be able to have an app on my phone where I can change the water and heating remotely. Can anyone tell me if this is difficult to do? A quick Google finds this: www.climote.ie - looks great but pretty expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Has anyone done this? Are they good and do they work ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Sign up to electric ireland for two years and get a free climote. Would that be cheap enough? ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There seems to be annual fees with climote. Anyone know?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Surely there's a way to connect up a wireless input/output device in an off the shelf and easy to set up way that could be used to switch a relay.
    Arduino?
    Couldnt this then be run in parallel to the existing heating controls?
    I suppose it might be better if you could tell the existing programmer to switch on, I saw one online where someone did that with a Myson or maybe a drayton? programmer, although I think they might have burned one out in the trial and error process, I cant find it now though, I have found some stuff on hacking hardware, just google what you're thinking around and you'll probably find something.
    Neither do I think manufacturers make them so people can (life?)hack their products easily, they might say its a warranty thing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not sure I want to go with a hacked solution. more likely to be problematic, probably not very neat - plus also I rent so landlord might not like it...
    Surely there are some cheaper alternatives to Climote? From uk or China etc - that I could get a local heating guy to install?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There is the Belkin Wemo (wifi on and off using app, which can also be used as a timer ) or Conrad in Germany look to have a very nice unit.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Hive and Nest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Can also use some z wave stuff, vesternet.com has a load of options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

http://texton.ie/

Installed it myself. No annual fees except top up sim card. Works well. Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Eph1958 wrote: »
    http://texton.ie/

Installed it myself. No annual fees except top up sim card. Works well. Enjoy!!!

Very primitive in today's world. Occupancy sensors are a big bonus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I agree, I want a phone App. Climote looks perfect, maybe €300 is not so expensive if you are getting a top notch system that lets you do everything..

What's the deal with Nest and Hive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SALUS-IT500-Internet-Controlled-Thermostat/dp/B00FKRS514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418583849&sr=8-1&keywords=salus+it500

If you have internet in the location you need to control

These are a bit more flexible than Climote as they are wireless connection to reciever so stat can be placed wherever you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Buy an app controlled socket. 10amp rated. Your heating can be controlled from it. Got one for 20 notes on livi... soc.. .ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Owl intuition also worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I have the heatmiser wifi stat, happy with it so far.

Advertisement