Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mythbusters -Please Don't Forward That Email!

Options
  • 12-04-2008 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I'm sure many of the Christians here get those forwarded emails. They ask you to pray for some dire situation, or try to get you to sign a petition against some threat to the Gospel, or try to tell you that forwarding the email to someone else will cause Bill Gates to give money to a sick child etc.

Personally I always check them out at http://www.snopes.com or try to find out a bit more information. Then, if they are hoaxes, I contact the person who sent the email to me (often feeling like a party pooper for telling them that Billy Graham actually didn't ride a motorised scooter along Bourbon St in New Orleans and start a revival).

I thought it might help if we had a thread for these kind of things. You can post hoaxes you are aware of, check out what others have posted, and ask if something is genuine or not. hopefully we can reduce (even if only by a fraction) the volume of spam that clogs up cyberspace and maybe help some Christians to stop being quite so gullible.

Moderating Note:
    This thread is to provide a resource for Christian posters and so may be moderated more strictly than some other threads. Trollish comments will be deleted and infractions awarded if necessary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This one has been going the round periodically since 2005. It is often spread by SMS text message and states that Pastor Ferdie Flores will be executed 'tomorrow' in East Timor by being beaten to death.

Although Pastor Ferdie Flores is a real person in East Timor, he is not in danger of execution. He has had a few run ins with the local Catholic community over some conversions, but the fowarded message about impending execution is a total myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

PDN wrote: »
    This one has been going the round periodically since 2005. It is often spread by SMS text message and states that Pastor Ferdie Flores will be executed 'tomorrow' in East Timor by being beaten to death.

Although Pastor Ferdie Flores is a real person in East Timor, he is not in danger of execution. He has had a few run ins with the local Catholic community over some conversions, but the fowarded message about impending execution is a total myth.

Good ideas this. I got the Pastor Ferdie last year via text message only to find out later it was a hoax.
    Lotta strange people out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This one is a bit nastier in that it is ant-Islamic. It reads:
    FW: THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THIS

An 8 years old child was caught in a market in Iran for stealing bread.

In the name of Islam he is being punished, his arm will be crshed by a car. He will loose forever the possibility to use this arm again.
    Is this a religion of peace and love??

(this now includes 5 progressive photos of a child laying down with his arm outstretched, being held there, and a car wheel rolling over it.)

No religion can ever justify such a hideous crime Pass it on .let the world know what is happening in the name of religion... in other places Pass this to all for public awareness

The photos look graphic:

thief0011_sm.jpg

thief0033_sm.jpg

When I first saw this I was immediately suspicious. Why, if you wanted to crush someone's arm, would you put a rolled up blanket underneath?

A little googling revealed that this is actually a street circus and the kid is a performer. Exploitation? Probably, yes. Islamic (in)justice? No.

Advertisement