Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for information on Spanish Trawler Mardomingo B

Options
  • 28-10-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey Guys

Does anyone have any information on a Spanish Trawler/ship called Mardomingo B which sunk off the South Kerry coast in 1956, there were 12 crew on board all died. I was hoping to find out the captains name if possible.

I have found a couple of small newspaper articles dated 18 Oct 1956 but there's not a huge amount of information. I'd be very grateful for any assistance on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

She went down off Ballinskelligs in '56. AFAIK there is not much info in the 'Irish Shipwrecks' books.* Your best bet (if here is not successful) would be to contact Des Lavelle in those parts.

* checked vols I & II, not mentioned. Might be in Vol 3 - "Shipwrecks of the Irish Coast 1582 - 2000" by edward j bourke (which is the one I don't have!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

There's a file in the National Archives. Reference: DFA/5/306/324. Put the name of the boat in here to see the full reference: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

As it's a Dept of Foreign Affairs file, it might be a 'consular assistance' type record containing crew names rather than an investigation file. I don't know if any agency had functions like the MCIB in those days? Edit: just read entry properly - it is a consular file.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

Hey Guys

Thank you all for your information I'll definitely look into this :)

Advertisement