Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing mobile number via a banner

Options
  • 23-10-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭

Hi got question for you guys hope this is the right forum.
    Got some charges for premium number text message.
    Emailed the company and got a refund.
    Asked them for the log file and how they got my number.

Received this:
    Interacted with the Appmob once off service. This is promoted on mobile internet or within an app. Showed a banner, clicked on the banner this would have taken them to the landing page attached in the screen shot.

The screen shot a page offering a game, in fairness it has lots of warnings on it. I suspect it was my three year old playing games on my phone who clicked on it.

My question is though how could they have gotten my number by clicking on a banner? I know they would have the ip address but to get the number requires data to be sent from my phone to them via a banner ad which sounds suspect to me.

Trying to find out as much as I can about it. I searched boards and found threads from 2008 complaining about the same company doing the same thing.

Would be grateful if anyone can shed light on this I'm extra pissed off about it because this was on a kids game and sounds like it should be illegal.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ok figured it out. Clicking the banner sends the phone details to the service provider. Company requests these off the SP which sends them on and bills the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

20Cent wrote: »
    Ok figured it out. Clicking the banner sends the phone details to the service provider. Company requests these off the SP which sends them on and bills the customer.

Is this the kind of thing we leave ourselves open to when we grant permission to features like phone status etc before installing apps or is it a technique that's open and available to them anyway?

Advertisement