Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to better understand a Patent Roll manuscript entry

Options
  • 18-10-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I read the following in a Patent Roll manuscript from the 15th century, but some of the language used in it goes over my head I’m afraid, I’m hoping someone on here might be able to help me figure it out...

“COMMISSION, by mainprize of Mr. A to Mr. B, of custody of one messuage and two carucates of land, 40 acres of pasture, 40 acres of moor, 40s of chief rent; to have for as long as they are in the K.'s hand, rendering the extent.”

I’m wondering what exactly is meant by “COMMISSION, by mainprize of Mr. A to Mr. B”, is it basically Mr. A selling or leasing land to Mr. B?”

From what I understand a “messuage” is the plot of land in which a house and it’s surrounding gardens or land lie?

A “carucate” is the area of land able to be ploughed in a day by a team of eight oxen. I’ve also read that one carucate equates to 120 acres. So in the case of this entry it would be 240 acres of ploughable land before even taking the 40 acres of pasture and 40 acres of moor into consideration?

Not sure what is meant by “40s of chief rent; to have for as long as they are in the K.'s hand, rendering the extent.” I’m assuming the capital K. is an abbreviation for King.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

MacCanann wrote: »
    “COMMISSION, by mainprize of Mr. A to Mr. B, of custody of one messuage and two carucates of land, 40 acres of pasture, 40 acres of moor, 40s of chief rent; to have for as long as they are in the K.'s hand, rendering the extent.”

I’m wondering what exactly is meant by “COMMISSION, by mainprize of Mr. A to Mr. B”, is it basically Mr. A selling or leasing land to Mr. B?”

What you are seeing is probably a transcription and translation from the original Latin.....so it's hard to make out the context.
    It relates to a transfer of a land holding. Mainprize means 'surety', so A is guaranteeing the custody / good transfer to B. A bit like what the yanks today call 'Title Insurance'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MacCanann

Thanks for that Pedroeibar1, I have a much better understanding of it now!

I finally managed to track down and view that 1301 Plea Roll in the National Archives by the way! Was as easy as just calling in, like you said, registering for a readers ticket and then I got to view the manuscript there and then :)

Advertisement