Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would one be charged with?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

No expert on the law here..

If a military enthusiast (short term 'nut') had built his own missile defense system, say a small home-made job. What would he be charged with? Under what section and articles, you know.

Serious answers please..

regards and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Id imagine illegal possession of a firearm/explosives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

why would he be charged, there are plenty of amateur rocket enthusiasts out there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Glined

rwg wrote: »
    why would he be charged, there are plenty of amateur rocket enthusiasts out there

Hi,

I'm not talking about coca-cola bottles with mentos. I'm talking about a small mobile system designed to fire at aircraft and small balloons for training. I'm just wondering if it would be seen as a threat. And what would be the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Please describe this mobile SAM site in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Glined

Bepolite wrote: »
    Please describe this mobile SAM site in more detail.

Wouldn't quite call it that, yet!

The trailer is similar to size as this:

http://www.hoopertrailer.com/meshbottomLandscape.jpg

I'm saying that, if it looks dangerous is that enough of a reason for the gardai to confiscate it, the mobile SAM site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Glined wrote: »
    No expert on the law here..

If a military enthusiast (short term 'nut') had built his own missile defense system, say a small home-made job. What would he be charged with? Under what section and articles, you know.

Serious answers please..

regards and thanks.

Depending on exactly what it is it may be covered under http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/RevisedActs/WithAnnotations/EN_ACT_1925_0017.PDF as a missile defence system not much good with out some form of explosive if so including the rocket fuel, I assume rocket fuel is an explosive then it may or rather more than likely come under one of the following http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Guidance%20Note%20-%20Explosives%20Legislation%20-%20Rev%20Feb%202010.pdf/Files/Guidance%20Note%20-%20Explosives%20Legislation%20-%20Rev%20Feb%202010.pdf

Rockets some legislation http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/si/0025.html

I can assure you if a person makes a personal ground to air missile system there will be a whole load a grief coming down the line.

Shoulder mounted SAM can bring down a 747 something that size could be anything from a Walter Mitty toy to something that could enforce a no-fly zone over Blanchardstown. While this thread is fun you're lack of information is leading me to a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

infosys wrote: »
    a missile defence system not much good with out some form of explosive if so including the rocket fuel, I assume rocket fuel is an explosive .

The most powerful rockets use kerosene as fuel, which is not explosive, which is why people are freely allowed heat their homes with it.

If a missile has enough kinetic energy it needs no explosive to do any damage. Anti tank rounds commonly have no explosive for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

The most powerful rockets use kerosene as fuel, which is not explosive, which is why people are freely allowed heat their homes with it.

If a missile has enough kinetic energy it needs no explosive to do any damage. Anti tank rounds commonly have no explosive for example

AA rounds have no explosives either. Dunno about missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

I think an arrest under Section 30 of The Offences Against the State Act for a scheduled offence would look after you nicely. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

AA rounds have no explosives either. Dunno about missiles.

While you can use solid shells, bullets, or kinetic energy missiles against aircraft, usually for AA use some form of explosive, proximity fuse is used, (either in a cannon shell or missile) to increase the chance of a hit. But the issue isn't really the how though.

Consider lasers...
    http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6119&start=0
    charged with “intentionally or recklessly engaging in conduct creating a substantial risk of death or serious injury to another”. During the two-day trial, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court Judge Patricia Ryan instructed the jury that the State’s case was not that Gaffney acted intentionally, but that he acted recklessly. She then read the legal definition: “conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustifiable risk.”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The question should be why would you need your own missle defense system in the first place ,

Gatling wrote: »
    The question should be why would you need your own missle defense system in the first place ,

Some of the houses I'm looking at in D3 could most certainly benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Glined wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm talking about a small mobile system designed to fire at aircraft and small balloons for training.

It's illegal to use firearms for target practice purposes outside of an official shooting range.

Even if you had no explosives etc., maybe you could be in trouble for target shooting outside of an official range maybe?

Advertisement