Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I always found the new baby ones crap - they always leaked. The baby dry ones hold a lot more! Be worth a try I reckon. They might be a little larger than the new baby ones, but they'll fit at some stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    Quick question! I use Pampers New Baby Size 3 for Baby Merkin however I notice that Tesco have an offer on at the moment for Size 3 Pampers Stay Dry. Is there a big difference and if so what does anyone know? Are they a little rougher on the skin as the new baby ones are lovely.

Is it simply dry or baby dry merkin? We use the baby dry. Initially when L was new born we used the newborn pampers. They were a lot softer. When I tried the baby dry they brought her out in a rash so we went back to the newborn. But she's older now and her skin isn't as sensitive as it was so she's now fine in the baby dry. Although not as soft as te new born the baby dry are a lot more absorbent and we've never had any leaks with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thank you girls! It's the baby dry ones that are 2 x 74 for £15 which seems quite good so will get them. As he's eating more his output volumes are increasing exponentially so need something that'll hold a bit more volume probably :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Our 10 Month old is starting to throw mini tantrums - I wasn't ready for this - I thought thats what the terrible twos phase is for!

He stiffens and screams if he doesnt get his way. I don't know what kick started it - maybe it's just him finding his personality - maybe it's something he sees the older kids in his childminders group doing - I dunno...

Has anyone else experienced this with a young baby? How do you reason with a child that small? We have been just ignoring it and calmly continuing whatever it is we are doing (dressing him, etc.) but maybe he needs it to be acknowledged?

Abi does that. Usually when being dressed or changing her nappy. We just kept on going, talking her through it, but being quite strict about about finishing. Again, she was doing it from about 10 months but I've noticed the last week or two it's not so bad (over a year now).

It's a tough thing to keep moving through but it's best not to give in. Nothing wrong with making lots of soothing noises and giving lots of cuddles once you're finished whatever was bugging him.

I feel like such a traitor! Baby Merkin is just on the cusp of laughing, he's cooing and grinning and having a great old morning unbeknownst to him that I'm bringing him for his second round of vaccines at 1pm. I feel SO cruel :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oh I hate that feeling Merkin. It makes me feel awful, like the baby is so happy in it's ignorance of the awful thing I'm about to do. But just keep remembering that while it will hurt at the time, it is over quickly and both your baby and society as a whole will get a lasting benefit from it. Good luck.

I've come to the conclusion that I am a complete and total weirdo. S's second birthday is in a few weeks and Xmas is coming hot on the heels of it and I am excited about all the new toys he's going to get. I can't wait to fit all the noisy, garish, shiney plastic bits into my house. A few people have suggested a clear out of his old toys before the great 'presenting' begins and all I can think is, no, he needs all of them. I'm such a big child. Thankfully we've recently moved house and have a lot more space for his stuff (well we will have once I get around to unpacking the 'mess' room, ie S's eventual bedroom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Be thankful for your loving families ladies. I just spent an exhausting, emotionally weary day in court because A's dad is being a knob. Hug your partners this evening and let them know how much you love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

loubian wrote: »
    Be thankful for your loving families ladies. I just spent an exhausting, emotionally weary day in court because A's dad is being a knob. Hug your partners this evening and let them know how much you love them

I thanked this but it's more a click of support than anything. I'm so so sorry you have to go through this.

iguana wrote: »
    Oh I hate that feeling Merkin. It makes me feel awful, like the baby is so happy in it's ignorance of the awful thing I'm about to do. But just keep remembering that while it will hurt at the time, it is over quickly and both your baby and society as a whole will get a lasting benefit from it. Good luck.

I've come to the conclusion that I am a complete and total weirdo. S's second birthday is in a few weeks and Xmas is coming hot on the heels of it and I am excited about all the new toys he's going to get. I can't wait to fit all the noisy, garish, shiney plastic bits into my house. A few people have suggested a clear out of his old toys before the great 'presenting' begins and all I can think is, no, he needs all of them. I'm such a big child. Thankfully we've recently moved house and have a lot more space for his stuff (well we will have once I get around to unpacking the 'mess' room, ie S's eventual bedroom).

Thanks so much, I'm really proud of him. He let out an unmerciful roar with each jab but settled very quickly and then smiled at two nurses on his way out, the little pet :) They were very struck by how chatty he was, he entertained the waiting room while we waited to go in, it was very cute!

I totally get you on the toys!! Since I found out I was pregnant I've been beside myself that Santy will feature in every Christmas again.....YAY!!! Given that I used to write to Santy every September when I was a little girl this is a BIG deal!!!!!

I was looking at my gorgeous wee 7 month old asleep in my arms tonight before putting her down... And I thought.... God I want another one...

• Advertisement

I'm in tears this morning over Gavin Glynn, what a courageous little soul he was. He passed away last night holding his Mummy, Daddy and siblings hands on their family sofa. I just can't imagine what they've gone through :(

I'm in tears this morning over Gavin Glynn, what a courageous little soul he was. He passed away last night holding his Mummy, Daddy and siblings hands on their family sofa. I just can't imagine what they've gone through :(

Merkin it's awful sad isn't it. Whenever I read stories like his about children or babies I cry. Since I've had kids myself it really hits home so much more than it ever did before. Poor wee fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm in tears here now having just seen the photo of them all holding his hand as he died. I was feeling sorry for myself as we've been up most the night with S in pain from getting his eye-teeth but I'd happily never have a full night's sleep again as long as S is healthy.

I know, I'm cuddling baby Merkin that extra bit tighter this morning. The poor family, they all have shown such enormous courage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I cried in work this morning, thankfully no one was here to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Is there any reason you couldn't bring a child with chicken pox out for a walk? My nine month old is off creche for the week and is going crazy with cabin fever, his dad is at home minding him and refuses to leave the house with him. I see absolutely no harm in bringing him for a walk in the buggy, well wrapped up. :confused: A week is a long time for a baby to go with absolutely no fresh air! No wonder he's cranky! I can't bring him myself as I get home from work too late in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Indigo i havent a clue tbh.

Sligo your nuts already.

L was awake loads last night. cut his 2 top teeth. im exhausted as even nights he does sleep i dont as ive sore feet ( totally another story)
    Anyway. was so tired this morning and loads of stuff to do as have a family wedding friday and felt so crap. he was sitting on the floor screaming (he LOVES screaming) and started his blabbering "bababababa mam babababababa" i looked at him, " yes mamama" he laughed.

Its a start. it was like he knew it would cheer me up a bit.

Loubian hope your doing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Is there any reason you couldn't bring a child with chicken pox out for a walk? My nine month old is off creche for the week and is going crazy with cabin fever, his dad is at home minding him and refuses to leave the house with him. I see absolutely no harm in bringing him for a walk in the buggy, well wrapped up. :confused: A week is a long time for a baby to go with absolutely no fresh air! No wonder he's cranky! I can't bring him myself as I get home from work too late in the evenings.

I reckon it would be grand! Sure it's a virus but the child probably isn't actually very unwell, are they?

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I reckon it would be grand! Sure it's a virus but the child probably isn't actually very unwell, are they?

No he's actually fine ... Just bored and cranky! I reckon he'd be a lot less cranky if he at least got a bit of fresh air, but his dad refuses to even bring him for a walk around the block!

No he's actually fine ... Just bored and cranky! I reckon he'd be a lot less cranky if he at least got a bit of fresh air, but his dad refuses to even bring him for a walk around the block!

I work in pharmacy and every day we have kids with the pox in the shop, most kids definitely aren't kept indoors. I can imagine how fed up your little lad must be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I always had the idea that once the child is well wrapped up, it's actually good for them to be out in the fresh air when they are ill (obviously not badly but you know what I mean!)

I always had the idea that once the child is well wrapped up, it's actually good for them to be out in the fresh air when they are ill (obviously not badly but you know what I mean!)

Yep that's what I'd have thought - fresh air is always better than being cooped up, especially when they're sick!

It's annoying because he gets no fresh air or long walks when he's in creche all day - now that he's off sick, this is a full week that could be used to really get him out and about for long walks, like he was so used to when I was on maternity leave - and instead he's getting even LESS time outside than he would going the five minute walk to and from creche. :(

Major stress this morning in work. Trying to get one thing sorted meant another important thing went undone. Had to run after the boss to get him to sign a cheque at lunch. A girl in work lost her baby, and the partner was meeting her for lunch. The minute I left them I bawled. I feel so sad for her and can't imagine the pain she is going through. Along with my own stress from A's father, and other things, I just couldn't hold it in any longer and cried in front of the whole office. Have to live through that for the afternoon ughhhhhhhhh

Another question ladies! I find you girls the font of all knowledge! We will be having baby Merkin christened in a Catholic Church back home in Dublin, what is the standard cash gift to give to the priest for conducting the ceremony does anybody know please?

Another question ladies! I find you girls the font of all knowledge! We will be having baby Merkin christened in a Catholic Church back home in Dublin, what is the standard cash gift to give to the priest for conducting the ceremony does anybody know please?

O have a lovely christening baby merkin! I think they just say a donation or whatever you can afford. Some people will give €50 some will give €200! We gave €150 last year for My sons christening and again €150 this year for my daughters just last Sunday :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Jeez we gave €50 for ours thats the norm around here anyway

Oh thanks so much. I had a figure of €100 in my head but a bit clueless so am glad I checked. Really looking forward to it. Did you enjoy your little ones recently? He's going to be five months old by the time it comes around so have bought him a delightful little white babygro with teeny little embroidered ducks on it because I don't think I'd get a christening gown to fit him at that stage! :o

Suucee I think it's all relevant to what you can at the time :). 50 quid is loads and I'm sure heaps of people give that figure or there abouts. We just gave €150 coz it's what we could afford.

L is really good merkin. She's 7 months now and was only christened on Sunday. She fitted into T's gown (passed down through the generations) that he used at 3 months! And he was too big for it at 3months! Lol.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think we put 100 in the envelope but we had a job on out hands to get the priest to take it. He kept insisting he didn't want a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

We were told 50 by everyone aswell. On my son we stuck 150 in the envelope and my daughter he got 100. The more kids that come the less he is getting because these little people are very expensive lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

http://powerofmoms.com/2014/08/motherhood-is-about-you/

A friend shared this with me and I really like it. Lots of good advice...mainly about your own growth and development being a parent and that we are only human and can't do it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The phn signed us off this morning and I got a bit choked up....I've no babies left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The phn signed us off this morning and I got a bit choked up....I've no babies left!

Is it time for another! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Is it time for another! :P

Haahaa...im tempted. ..but not crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The one day where really we should have got up early, both our kids slept until 8.15! :eek::eek::eek:

Which means we promptly missed the rubbish truck (who, incidentally are usually always very late, just not today) and are now stuck with two full bins for another two weeks plus the hassle of bags. everything is running behind and our usual schedule of naps and meal times completely out of whack.

Yep, first world problems, and I never thought I would complain about my kids sleeping, but it's still annoying...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Mine too, he was in granny's house being minded last night, we picked him up and put him straight into bed and he slept till 8.30am. Only had a 20 minute nap this morning and has been like a bag of cats since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'll have to stop listening to the news in front of my 2.5 year old, we were switching through radio stations in the car yesterday, and we happened upon the news. Up pops L "Where's the white house, mammy?"
    I didn't even realised he listened!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We gave 50 Euro for each of our two.
    Its nice to give more- and we would have done, had we had it- but times are tough.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Does anyone have any experience with their little babas being really rough and aggressive? My 16 month old is very boisterous which is fine but he isn't very verbal yet (although he understands a lot of what we say) and he's very rough with me and others when he wants things.

I'm pregnant at the moment and have hyperemesis and am basically bedridden. Luckily we're living with my parents and they are looking after him but he comes up to me in bed often for visits. If he wants you to read to him he continually throws books at your face very hard until you do, same with the remote control - if he wants to watch Peppa he oinks and throws the remote at my face very aggressively. He kicks and hits and pulls hair and I'm just not able for it at the moment. He's like that with everyone else too but obviously it's hard on me in particular.

He's not malicious, he's excited and happy and he just doesn't understand that he's hurting me and others. We're trying to teach him to be gentle and tell him to be nice to mama, that I'm sick and showing him how to play nice etc but he just doesn't understand.

What on earth can I do at this age to get him to understand and to be more gentle? He's always been strong but it's getting out of hand now :( is it just something he needs to grow out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Woshy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with their little babas being really rough and aggressive? My 16 month old is very boisterous which is fine but he isn't very verbal yet (although he understands a lot of what we say) and he's very rough with me and others when he wants things.

I'm pregnant at the moment and have hyperemesis and am basically bedridden. Luckily we're living with my parents and they are looking after him but he comes up to me in bed often for visits. If he wants you to read to him he continually throws books at your face very hard until you do, same with the remote control - if he wants to watch Peppa he oinks and throws the remote at my face very aggressively. He kicks and hits and pulls hair and I'm just not able for it at the moment. He's like that with everyone else too but obviously it's hard on me in particular.

He's not malicious, he's excited and happy and he just doesn't understand that he's hurting me and others. We're trying to teach him to be gentle and tell him to be nice to mama, that I'm sick and showing him how to play nice etc but he just doesn't understand.

What on earth can I do at this age to get him to understand and to be more gentle? He's always been strong but it's getting out of hand now :( is it just something he needs to grow out of?

I know this might sound stupid but I believe kids understand an awful lot at that age. As you say, they just can't verbalise it yet but the feelings and frustrations are there. Maybe try explaining his feelings to him and telling him that you understand he's angry but that you can't watch peppa pig right now because mammy is sick or whatever the reason. Keeping your voice calm and reasoning, speaking softly and soothing whilst explaining the situation to him might help calm him. You might feel stupid but I've seen it work, if you keep calm he'll follow suit eventually.

I must say I'm giving this tip having watched my sister do it. My little one is not old enough to be able to push her weight around and when I get there I just hope I have half the patience my sister did!

• Advertisement

Have any of your bubbas gone off their food a little at three months? He will be 15 weeks on Thursday and Baby Merkin would normally have 5 x 7.5oz bottles a day but now he's having 4 bottles of maybe 5-6oz. Still sleeping from about 7pm-6am, plenty of dirty and wet nappies but pushes the bottle away with his little hands or spits the teat out. Any ideas? I know he's teething and we are treating that as best we can and he's generally very content but I don't want this to continue for too long if he's not getting enough!

We go into hospital tomorrow for his operation on Thursday (dreading it!) and I swear the intuitive little soul knows something is going on! Could that be it?

Have any of you experienced this type of dip in appetite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Have any of your bubbas gone off their food a little at three months? He will be 15 weeks on Thursday and Baby Merkin would normally have 5 x 7.5oz bottles a day but now he's having 4 bottles of maybe 5-6oz. Still sleeping from about 7pm-6am, plenty of dirty and wet nappies but pushes the bottle away with his little hands or spits the teat out. Any ideas? I know he's teething and we are treating that as best we can and he's generally very content but I don't want this to continue for too long if he's not getting enough!

We go into hospital tomorrow for his operation on Thursday (dreading it!) and I swear the intuitive little soul knows something is going on! Could that be it?

Don't remember my little ones appetite going down like that but if he's having wet and dirty nappies and seems generally content then I'd try not to worry too much. Best of luck for Thursday.

Thanks Roesy. It's mystifying! I guess I'll keep an eye on it and maybe mention it to one of the paediatricians tomorrow.

Happened to us here maybe a fortnight ago. Only lasted a week or so but appetite is back to normal now. Didn't do her any harm! We also have flailing arms and knocking the bottle out of her mouth etc. That seems to be just her discovering her own movements. She is actually hilarious - she pushes the bottle out herself then goes hysterical because she thinks we have taken it away!! I have taken to gently holding her hands down below the bottle and once she stops distracting herself with her movement she calms and takes the bottle easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I'm about to throw in the towel. My daughter is going crazy screaming and shouting most of the day. I had a bit of shopping to do this morning, I whizzed around in an hour and a half. She went bonkers screaming most of the time. I noticed she's rejecting some of the food I'm making her too, she was never a fussy eater up to this. She woke up early most days this week too. She's 15 months old now. I'm wondering what's going on? Any ideas? I thought it might be teething but would that expalin the constant screaming. I'm feel like having a break down at the minute. Have little or no patience left in the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    I'm about to throw in the towel. My daughter is going crazy screaming and shouting most of the day. I had a bit of shopping to do this morning, I whizzed around in an hour and a half. She went bonkers screaming most of the time. I noticed she's rejecting some of the food I'm making her too, she was never a fussy eater up to this. She woke up early most days this week too. She's 15 months old now. I'm wondering what's going on? Any ideas? I thought it might be teething but would that expalin the constant screaming. I'm feel like having a break down at the minute. Have little or no patience left in the pot.

Ear infection? Leap? I'd get her checked out by the doc anyway if it was me!

Sweet Rose wrote: »

I know how you feel. Being a single mother is so hard sometimes. No matter how much you get help, it's still you that has to get up during g the night, comfort, discipline, and there's never any one with equal responsibility to help you.

Ear infection? Leap? I'd get her checked out by the doc anyway if it was me!

I don't think it's an ear infection. It's like she's acting the monkey and she's in control of her behaviour and it's not something external affecting her if that makes sense.

We're at home now and she's as good as gold.

It's like she started the terrible 2s at 15 months. I hope not! Just hoping it'll pass soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

All of mine started testing the boundaries a good few months before the 'terrible twos' set in. In fact, I reckon our youngest started around the 15 month mark. It escalated and we're in the midst of it now (she turned 2 in October)and it is very frustrating and upsetting at times. I feel like my placid little baba has been replaced with a different child sometimes and we are avoiding doing certain things as a family now, such as eating out until she gets her emotions under control a bit more! But I know it will pass and keep having to tell myself that!

Vel wrote: »
    All of mine started testing the boundaries a good few months before the 'terrible twos' set in. In fact, I reckon our youngest started around the 15 month mark. It escalated and we're in the midst of it now (she turned 2 in October)and it is very frustrating and upsetting at times. I feel like my placid little baba has been replaced with a different child sometimes and we are avoiding doing certain things as a family now, such as eating out until she gets her emotions under control a bit more! But I know it will pass and keep having to tell myself that!

That's sound exactly it. She's definitely testing the boundaries. She has this real cheeky monkey smile she does at me, as if to say I know exactly what I'm at and you're not going to stop me. I used to able to bring her anywhere and she'd be as good as gold, now I'm reluctant to bring her out for lunch as her behaviour is so unpredictable. She still has her good days. I really wish I could afford to put her into the crèche for an extra day as I'm exhausted at the minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement