Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert religion

Options
  • 27-10-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am in 6th year and am thinking of taking up an extra subject. I was thinking of religion, as I liked the subject for JC and thought out of all the subjects it would be easiest to take up! The problem is I'd have to take it up outside of school, but still I think I'd like to do it. Is this a good idea? Is it too late in the year to take up a subject? Would religion be too difficult to take up? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I am in 6th year and am thinking of taking up an extra subject. I was thinking of religion, as I liked the subject for JC and thought out of all the subjects it would be easiest to take up! The problem is I'd have to take it up outside of school, but still I think I'd like to do it. Is this a good idea? Is it too late in the year to take up a subject? Would religion be too difficult to take up? Thank you

Are you any good at maths because applied maths would be a more wise choice as it has a shorter course.... its not to late to start anything if you put the work in.:) if your good at english it would also help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Hey buddy I took RE as a LC subject and got an A1 so here's some information about RE (especially if you're aiming for a high grade!)

First off, this is how the test goes:
    -20% goes to coursework, 80% goes to written test
    -2:30 hours long (Which annoys me because History is 2:50 and in my opinion there is less writing in History than RE)
    -4 essays divided into 2 parts for each (so in total, you would be writing about 8 different but interchangeable topics)
    -And if each of those essays are about 3 or 4 pages long then you will need to write about 12-18 pages in 2:30 hours. It's an ordeal but I've done it and others have too so I'm sure you can join in the fun ;)
    -You have 37 minutes to write each essay so timing is quite important

Your coursework is sort of like a project. Not sure what the prescribed titles are for LC 2015 but from my experience it was really frustrating and tiring writing that stuff up and researching the topic but just listen to the teacher's advice and recommendations, then you will be fine :)

I'd say you're a bit late thinking of taking RE for 6th year. It's not an easy A at all and contrary to popular belief, most of what you learn about isn't immediately religious either. Also, it's nothing like RE in Junior Cert level but I guess having some knowledge beforehand from JC is a benefit.

The sections we covered were Section A (Search for meaning) Section C (World Religions) Section D (Moral decision-making) and Section E (Religion and gender). Each had a ton of learning but all of the course linked together so that was handy

Personally I loved re and there was a good bunch of people taking it from my year at school so we always had the craic learning the different topics, but just remember that there is a lot of learning and technique involved in the test.

Good luck :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SignoraTed

I would warn you against taking it up this late. RE is not an easy subject at all, its practically all learning. Its like history that way; all essays and learning things off. There's also the project as well. I swear I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with that. However, if you're someone who can learn things off really easily, then go for it. Be prepared for work though, its tough.

Advertisement