Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather, Time & Dates in 1798

Options
  • 21-10-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Accounts of 1798 in history books, old or modern, tend to give the bare facts of battles, massacres etc, with little background information. I would like to put together a more realistic picture of some of the events.
    Weather - are there any reports on what the weather was like in May/June '98? Fine weather would have made the rebel camps reasonably comfortable, rain could have made them miserable. Was it dry and dusty, so that a marching army would raise dust that could be seen when they were a mile off?
    Time - did they use GMT? What time did sun rise and set?
    Dates - did they use standard calendar
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Accounts of 1798 in history books, old or modern, tend to give the bare facts of battles, massacres etc, with little background information. I would like to put together a more realistic picture of some of the events.
    Weather - are there any reports on what the weather was like in May/June '98? Fine weather would have made the rebel camps reasonably comfortable, rain could have made them miserable. Was it dry and dusty, so that a marching army would raise dust that could be seen when they were a mile off?
    Time - did they use GMT? What time did sun rise and set?
    Dates - did they use standard calendar

http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Warfare-Climatic-History-Rebellion/dp/1898256047 :)

I can recommend the above book and as to your question - the weather was good for most the early weeks of the rebellion which favoured the rebel forces who were able to lie out at night in the fields. Standard dates and times applied although BST didn't exist back then and there were various local times in force. Standardisation of local time zones only became essential with the arrival of the railways.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

I can recommend the above book and as to your question - the weather was good for most the early weeks of the rebellion .

Thanks, looks like this book is just what I want.

Advertisement