Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1s with a non - law degree..

• 08-01-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I'm 19 years old and have taken the long route into admitting that I am at last resigned to a 'gap year' from education. Last September I entered NUI Maynooth to study Law but after finding it hard to settle and being dissatisfied with the College, I left.

I have just re-applied to the CAO but have yet to fill in my course options. I had wanted to study Law since I was about 15 as I thought it was interesting but basically all my research on prospective employment has made me aware of the complete over-supply of Solicitors and this is something that puts me off studying it. I have always done well in Business oriented subjects which leads me to my main question:

If I were to study a Business course at third level, what exactly is the route I would have to take to complete the FE1 exams and qualify as a solicitor, if I later wished to? I know the Bar is limited to Law graduates alone but at present graduates from any field may take the FE1s. Does this require the completion of another course in addition to your original degree or what is the procedure for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from. You want to study law but don't want to be a solicitor, so why do you want to skip a law degree and do the fe1s? Surely someone in your position would want to do the degree but not go on to become a solicitor, making the fe1s kinda pointless.

The answer is yes, you can do the fe1s without a law degree but it is probably easier to pass if you have 3/4 years of legal study behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

I'm 19 years old and have taken the long route into admitting that I am at last resigned to a 'gap year' from education. Last September I entered NUI Maynooth to study Law but after finding it hard to settle and being dissatisfied with the College, I left.

I have just re-applied to the CAO but have yet to fill in my course options. I had wanted to study Law since I was about 15 as I thought it was interesting but basically all my research on prospective employment has made me aware of the complete over-supply of Solicitors and this is something that puts me off studying it. I have always done well in Business oriented subjects which leads me to my main question:

If I were to study a Business course at third level, what exactly is the route I would have to take to complete the FE1 exams and qualify as a solicitor, if I later wished to? I know the Bar is limited to Law graduates alone but at present graduates from any field may take the FE1s. Does this require the completion of another course in addition to your original degree or what is the procedure for it?

Once you have a degree you can sit the FE1s and no other exams/courses are required in advance of sitting them. Some people sit a 'preliminary examination' but that is only if they don't have a degree etc. You could have a degree in physiotherapy or any other area that isn't remotely related to law and sit the FE1s. It is the degree that counts. A business degree is actually very useful in a law firm in my opinion; hence many colleges offer the combined law and business option. I'm a trainee solicitor and many of my friends from Blackhall did not do law as their primary degree.

Advertisement