Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a P.h.d and practicing law.

Options
  • 08-01-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am curious as to whether many lawyers who attain a P.h.d go onto practice law as a solicitor or barrister. Is it a case that most lawyers who attain a P.h.d stay in an academic setting i.e. lecturing or carrying out research. Just something that has been on my mind as a lot of judges seem to have attained a masters degree and then began practicing while the majority of those who lecture tend to hold doctorate degrees.
    Also would a doctorate degree be of huge benefit to a practicing solicitor or barrister?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

FERGAL7 wrote: »
    I am curious as to whether many lawyers who attain a P.h.d go onto practice law as a solicitor or barrister. Is it a case that most lawyers who attain a P.h.d stay in an academic setting i.e. lecturing or carrying out research. Just something that has been on my mind as a lot of judges seem to have attained a masters degree and then began practicing while the majority of those who lecture tend to hold doctorate degrees.

A fair few, although it is probably just as likely that they start practice and then do the phd.
    Also would a doctorate degree be of huge benefit to a practicing solicitor or barrister?

Wouldn't hurt, but would be of limited practical value. You could ask people to call you Dr. Fergal and then get snooty with anyone who calls you mister. Not sure that is a help or a hindrance to a legal career!

Advertisement