Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water

• 31-07-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Right, after compiling information from different sources about what is the best water to drink, I'm still none the wiser.

The standard water like evian, volvic etc contains too much minerals and too expensive to be drinking 3 plus litres a day. Tap water is full of nasties including fluoride and when filtered all the good is gone out of it. I've been recommended a polish water which is affordable and apparently contains the correct composits such as 50mg od magnesium.

It sure is strange that there is so little info about something that is so important for human survival and which makes up 70 percent of us.

Comments

I don't know the mineral composition or the molecular structure of the space-time continuum, but Aldi and Lidl's bottled water is good and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

stankratz wrote: »
    I don't know the mineral composition or the molecular structure of the space-time continuum, but Aldi and Lidl's bottled water is good and cheap.

Ok commoner, no need to get passive agressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fluoride is graaaaand

wprathead wrote: »
    Fluoride is graaaaand

shur you'd get used to anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Recycled sewage water is the best, keep it green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

In my opinion, Unicorn tears are the only thing out there worth drinking. volvic, evian, nd hawaii fiji equatorial bulsh*t are for poor people and muggles.

lufties wrote: »
    Ok, no need to get passive agressive

Huh? I wasn't being passive aggressive, just going a fancy way of saying 'I can't answer your question fully, but here's what I can tell you...'

Sorry I bothered you with my...help.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

When we were kids our favourite water was from the hose in the garden. Something about the plasticky taste/smell :-)

stankratz wrote: »
    Huh? I wasn't being passive aggressive, just going a fancy way of saying 'I can't answer your question fully, but here's what I can tell you...'

Sorry I bothered you with my...help.

Sounded to me you were trying to take the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Evian spelt backwards sums up the bottled water market...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FierceMild

What? Tap water is perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

In my opinion, Unicorn tears are the only thing out there worth drinking. volvic, evian, nd hawaii fiji equatorial bulsh*t are for poor people and muggles.

Has become pricey since the unicorn cull of 2013, pure lunacy.

FierceMild wrote: »
    What? Tap water is perfectly fine.

No..No it aint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

That happens me after drinking too much water :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Too much water :-)

Badoom tish!

EDIT: damn you lufties... Damn you to hell....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Council pop all the way.

That happens me after drinking too much water :pac:

I worked with a lad who lived on cold pizza, coffee and fags..Kev is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Israeli water is the best.

As a mater of fact I'm having it now… mmmmm, gooooood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Do a blind taste test....seriously, it will take about 15 minutes, but it will change your outlook on water.

Pour a few identical glasses with the same amount of water. Use some expensive brands, some cheap brands, and tap water. Label the bottoms with a piece of paper or something (before pouring the water). Chill them all to the same temp (or let them all settle to room temp).

Mix them up, close your eyes, drink each one and order them by preference. Look at the bottom and write down what order you like.

Do it three times.

My wife used to *swear* by bottled water. Not any bottled water, but she needed her particular brand of water.

Without seeing them, she couldn't tell the difference between tap water or anything else! Of course, for years prior, she *swore* that her bottled stuff didn't have the 'nasty taste' that tap water did. That you could taste how 'pure' it was.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Do a blind taste test....seriously, it will take about 15 minutes, but it will change your outlook on water.

Pour a few identical glasses with the same amount of water. Use some expensive brands, some cheap brands, and tap water. Label the bottoms with a piece of paper or something (before pouring the water). Chill them all to the same temp (or let them all settle to room temp).

Mix them up, close your eyes, drink each one and order them by preference. Look at the bottom and write down what order you like.

Do it three times.

My wife used to *swear* by bottled water. Not any bottled water, but she needed her particular brand of water.

Without seeing them, she couldn't tell the difference between tap water or anything else! Of course, for years prior, she *swore* that her bottled stuff didn't have the 'nasty taste' that tap water did. That you could taste how 'pure' it was.

I don't care how it tastes as long as its 1. not poisoning me and 2. its actually doing me good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Get a Biocera jug filter and job done.

No..No it aint

Compelling argument, tell me more.

On a side note, the amount of smokers I meet who are like, "Oh, no, never drink tapwater. Do you know what's in it?" as they inhale the 100 or so carcinogens.

Fair enough. Also, I'll take 'commoner' any day. At least I can take some solace in the fact that I can spell, and wasn't the one who got offended when it seemed like somebody took the piss after I started a serious thread in AH about the various properties of bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

everlast75 wrote: »
    Evian spelt backwards sums up the bottled water market...

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general consumer. You can sell anything if you market it properly and get the right groups on your side, money talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't care how it tastes as long as its 1. not poisoning me and 2. its actually doing me good.

None of them will poison you.
    All of them will do you good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh ffs Flouride is not poisonous because the amounts put in the water are tiny.

We need to keep challenging these conspiracies about flouride They are dangerous nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

UCDVet wrote: »
    None of them will poison you.
    All of them will do you good.

There is fluoride in tap water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Get a de-ionising under sink filter, remove all those nasties from tap water, and cheaper over a year than buying bottled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Probably distilled, as it takes out everything that isn't h2o. The machines aren't too cheap though.

Saying that no harm taking an A-Z mv+mineral supplement just to cover the rda, most people probably do anyway, the one dolla shops sell em, 30 days supply cheap.

• Advertisement

So what? Its good for your dental health. You should be grateful its there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Probably distilled, as it takes out everything that isn't h2o. The machines aren't too cheap though.

Saying that no harm taking an A-Z mv+mineral supplement just to cover the rda, most people probably do anyway, the one dolla shops sell em, 30 days supply cheap.

I dont think that would remove water based free radicals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's also chlorine, ozone, lead, lime, calcium, and iron but in the vast majority of cases not enough to harm you, and probably beneficial.

Think distilled takes out everything, strips the water down to well just water. The boiling/evaporation process should take out 99% of nasties too which is why rain falls clear for the last few billions years.

Free radicals are everywhere, best bet could be green tea (flavanoids) and slightly alkaline diet to reduce them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

FFS...just buy some Hydrogen and some Oxygen and make your own. It's not rocket science.

• Advertisement

There's flouride in bottled water and natural water too.

FierceMild wrote: »
    There's flouride in bottled water and natural water too.

Well it's not in rainwater, unless there was a recent volcanic action and thus ash collected from a nearby source. Some traces of it in mineral water (from the water table) along with other minerals.

Though as a general/loose rule modifying what the earth does for gazillions of years for our evolved species, maybe ain't always the best idea of the last century e.g. adding specific chemicals to drinking water.

Could probably include the 2.4ghz spectrum (wifi) bouncing around us in close proximity as an 'non-natural environment event' of recent times

Could probably include the 2.4ghz spectrum (wifi) bouncing around us in close proximity as an 'non-natural environment event' of recent times
    Oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

What are the actual dangers of fluoride? I currently have a suppressed immune system so have to boil my water. Boiling concentrates the fluoride so I'm getting more than most people.

Any dangers to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Luke92 wrote: »
    What are the actual dangers of fluoride? I currently have a suppressed immune system so have to boil my water. Boiling concentrates the fluoride so I'm getting more than most people.

Any dangers to me?
    You'll boil off only a tiny portion of the water so the concentration of fluoride will be well within the margin of error for normal fluoride concentration, so no more danger to you than to anyone else here. There are some health problems due to excessive concentrations of fluorine salts in the ground water in parts of India etc. but the concentrations are hundreds of times greater than here. Some will claim otherwise but there's no evidence that shows that the levels we have here are dangerous, and plenty of evidence that shows dental benefits.

Luke92 wrote: »

Any dangers to me?

There is pretty much no danger to flouride in tap water because the amounts are so tiny

http://www.fluoridesandhealth.ie/faq/

Terry Pratchet

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Wise words,
    3 days is the maximum time you can go without water.
    30 days for food.

Btw 2.4ghz is exactly the same as emf generated by microwaves, which is why a pair mobiles can cook an egg (if desired, under lab conditions) by vibrating water molecules at a very very high frequency. The Ruskies banned them for a long time.

Btw 2.4ghz is exactly the same as emf generated by microwaves, which is why a pair mobiles can cook an egg (if desired, under lab conditions) by vibrating water molecules at a very very high frequency. The Ruskies banned them for a long time.
    Microwave is a very broad term basically covering everything from radio waves to infrared light. 2.45 GHz (and 915 MHz) is used in microwave ovens as they lie in the ISM frequency bands (unlicensed) so they don't interfere with commercial/official transmissions. Mobile phones used licensed bands, so by definition won't correspond with the ones you're talking about. The whole cooking an egg with a mobile phone thing is a complete myth, the maximum power output they're allowed is around 2 W, you'd have to find a way to concentrate all this power on a perfectly insulated egg in order to cook it, slooooowly. Not realistic, even under so called laboratory conditions.

Edit: Max power output of a phone is 2 W PEAK, average allowed is more like 0.25 W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... which is why a pair mobiles can cook an egg...
    Ah here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ok commoner, no need to get passive agressive

Says the guy who can't even afford evian :rolleyes:

Riff-raff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

mad muffin wrote: »
    Israeli water is the best.

As a mater of fact I'm having it now… mmmmm, gooooood.

Erm what? 0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

AND you're not meant to drink out of plastic bottles as it gives you Oestrogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I applaud the OP.

In fact I applaud anyone who wears their ignorance on their sleeve as a badge of honour.

Microwave in terms of commercial/industrial use of wifi networks and microwaves ovens are both on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. Regular wifi is soon getting 'double channeled' to 5ghz but this just means 2.4Ghz x 2 channels), and who knows what future 1gb+/sec will be doing.

Granted SAR levels vary, if you've only got 1 bar and are transmitting a call it will be pushing max and your ear may get a tad warmish. Tis also a cumulative thing, the mw'oven may only be on 5 mins and at a far greater distances from your person with an insulated cage. The oven vibrates water molecules to generate heat, dry spuds wont cook unless they're in a bowl of water. Humans are of 90%c water base.

Stats:
    highest: Motorola Droid Maxx @ 1.54w SAR (allowed)
    average: Apple iPhone 5 @ 1.18w SAR
    lowest: LG G2 @ 0.51w SAR

Source: Lynn La and Kent German, "Cell Phone Radiation Levels," www.reviews.cnet.com, Jan. 16, 2014

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement