Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parents expecting an input into your everyday decisions

• 31-07-2014 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Is this an irish thing? Although I'm mid twenties and live abroad, the (irish) mammy still has a go about all and everything. The latest thing is an argument because I said if the tent I'm camping in this weekend is too hot, I'll just sleep outside. Queue myriad reasons why I can't do that (I'm going away with friends!)

Going out without a jacket? Argument
    Heading out to the barbers? You don't need a haircut

**** me, I'm only home for 4 weeks but I'm a broken man already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's just mammies the world over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't forget to bring your scarf.

Have you got a key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Does you mother have a job/career, a life outside the house, interests or a partner or husband.

My mother was like that, but I am not because I made a decision not to be like, not every mother is like it can develop in to a habit with some mothers mostly if being a mother has been a lot of their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its about time you settled down with a nice girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Burn all her clothes in the garden while laughing hysterically, that should quieten her up for a bit.
    Failing that, PM me and we can start putting in place...

...Plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They all do that. To a Mammy, Child == Blithering Idiot, even when they're <harrumph> such-and-such and age. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Threaten her by waving a nursing home form in front of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

discus wrote: »
    I'm mid twenties
    Ahhhh bless.
    I'm significantly older than you and my ma still gives me a hard time. Learn to live with it, it'll never change.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Your kids are basically frozen in your mental eye forever as being about 9 years old despite the fact they may be parents themselves, convicts , CEOs or whatever.

Just accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Shouldn't really be an issue - just the mum looking out for your well being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Was speaking with a 64 year old man at work who's mother is still alive and in a home. She must be late 80s at least.

He says she stills gives out to him that he needs a haircut, etc. :D

Mammies will be mammies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If I'm ever like that with my adult children just shoot me please. Although old habits die hard, its the adults who make decisions to keep mammy and daddy happy who are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Enjoy it while you can, when she's not around anymore you'll be kicking yourself for getting upset about silly little things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm 37, married and with my own business, lived in the UK for 4 year, and still my Mam says things like 'don't be out too late during the week', 'would you not drive in that weather' and 'are you sure you're alright for money' (despite the fact I've been fortunate enough to be able to renovate her house for her)

Sometimes its endearing, sometimes irritating, sometimes tiresome but usually meant with good intentions. Just take a breath, count to 5 and remind yourself you would miss it if she was gone tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

First of all be grateful for the fact you have a parent who gives a sh*t about you and worries about you. That's a given. However, that doesn't necessarily mean your mother shouldn't respect the fact you're your own man. There is such a thing as an overbearing parent and someone should be allowed bring it up without getting shouted down with something like "be glad you have one and leave your poor mother alone you'll miss her when she's dead"; which so often happens.

When I moved to London at 18 my mother and my grandmother literally rang me every single evening without fail, no exaggeration. Most evenings this would end in an argument about something or other, often heated. While I was touched at their concern, I was also fed up with the phone ringing at 8pm every single evening as I was sitting down to dinner after an 11 hour shift. The last thing I wanted was to be harassed over "your drinking", or "when are you going back to school" or "why aren't you coming home" or "why don't you have a girlfriend" or "you're not getting a tattoo" etc etc. Despite the fact I was a grown, self sufficient man with my own flat I was being hectored every single evening by people looking to pick a fight. I once mentioned I was going to Liverpool for a weekend only to get moaned at as to "why aren't you coming home instead???"

It might sound callous but I disconnected my landline and only answered the phone every five days or so. Sometimes parents need to realise their children aren't kids any more and unfortunately you sometimes have to force that process and set boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm 37, married and with my own business, lived in the UK for 4 year, and still my Mam says things like 'don't be out too late during the week', 'would you not drive in that weather' and 'are you sure you're alright for money' (despite the fact I've been fortunate enough to be able to renovate her house for her)

Hahaha for gods sake, are you my secret older sibling?! That's all too familiar.
    Sometimes its endearing, sometimes irritating, sometimes tiresome but usually meant with good intentions. Just take a breath, count to 5 and remind yourself you would miss it if she was gone tomorrow....

The feels are strong with this one :(
    It might sound callous but I disconnected my landline and only answered the phone every five days or so. Sometimes parents need to realise their children aren't kids any more and unfortunately you sometimes have to force that process and set boundaries.

Good post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

FTA69 wrote: »
    ...I disconnected my landline and only answered the phone every five days or so...
    ^^^
    This truly, is the Tao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I hate wearing shoes, most of the time I am in bare feet around the house, and for as long as I can remember "you are going to end up with bad kidneys running around in bare feet, and you know your kidneys are not great anyway",(I had an infection when I was 6). 40 yrs later still I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

My mam isn't too bad actually. Probably the other extreme. Too busy with her drinking, smoking and partying to give a fcuk what I'm doing. She's grand for the odd bit of babysitting though.

I am a (young) mother to a teenage son and I'd say I nag him something awful 'did you have a shower', 'is that what you're wearing', 'you need a haircut'..... help me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Mine actually said last week that my room needed a clean.

That if I died in the morning, she'd be embarrased at the state of it.

Yes, I would be dead, an autopsy would probably be in order and funeral arrangements would need to be made but Priority One?

The current condition of my room and the embarrassment and shame it would bring on the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My 2 'babies' are 29 and 30. They've gone for a day out together and I'm minding my little grandson.
    I just sent the 30 year old (who hasn't lived with me since she was 18) a text, reminding her to make sure they eat lunch :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If it weren't for parents you'd end up like this fella: LINK ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have to admit that I phoned my youngest last week when I know she would be on her own for a week and told her I was worried she would be lonely on her own for a week and was wondering would she be safe on her own, she though I was mad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was at a wedding at the weekend in the scorching heat and to cool myself down a small bit I undid a couple of buttons on the shirt and loosened the tie a bit. My mother spotted me and started re-buttoning it up in front of everyone again saying "you can't be going around looking like a down and out". I'm 26.

It was one action shy from spitting on a tissue and cleaning my face in front of a crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

50 & the mammy still presumes she can bust my balls whenever the whim takes her.

Not too happy when she's told to "fúck off ma, I'm a grown man now, just because you popped me out the birth canal 50 years ago doesn't give you the right to harangue me until your 6 deep" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

26, female, living with OH and engaged.....

From the aul lad: if you visit with shorts on.... 'you not get dressed today?' , 'your not going out like that' etc etc etc

From the mother: 'you can see your boobies, you'll give your father a heart attack', 'your like a prostitute', 'your cold' etc etc etc etc

The OH's are worse .... mothers and their sons!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

snaphook wrote: »
    Mine actually said last week that my room needed a clean.

That if I died in the morning, she'd be embarrased at the state of it.

Yes, I would be dead, an autopsy would probably be in order and funeral arrangements would need to be made but Priority One?

The current condition of my room and the embarrassment and shame it would bring on the family.

Don't you know that it would be very embarrassing for your Mammy if the ambulance men had to come into that room, the state of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The entire nature of a mother is to examine their child's every move and give advice on everything. As long as a mother is a mother, that's what they'll do. Age of mother or child is irrelevant. It's not an Irish thing, is a nature thing. If your mother just gave birth to you and then f***ed off, you'd be dead. She sticks around and raises you to keep you alive and healthy so you can pass on your genes.

It can be annoying at times, though, yup.

I'm 28 and I have to remind myself I'm an adult sometimes as my mother would simply make all my decisions for me given the chance.

Advertisement